We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Prices

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Grocery Prices

Hi,

We are heading to Magnetic Island in March and I am wondering if it really expensive to buy food at the food works in Nelly Bay. Should I buy in Townsville before we head out, or are the prices on the island reasonable.

Thanks

Shaz

10 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Prices

Of course prices will be more expensive..they have to pay extra freight and freezer storage etc....island stores always cost more. Buy what things you think you will not get on the island as they may not have a huge range, such as special dietry requirements and things you cant live without.

I wouldnt stress to much...its a holiday.you will pay more, you wont yave what you have at home perhaps but you will get by im sure. Stop worrying about trivialities. And enjoy your holiday♡

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Prices

As a resident yes prices are higher but not too bad, and the inconvenience of bringing it from town outweighs the benefits unless you have your own car, Foodworks in Nelly Bay have a service where if you contac them in advance and give them an order they will have it delivered to wherever you are staying to await your arrival I think the minimum order if AU50.00 (by the way) I am NOT involved with the store

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Prices

Apples and crisps are cheaper here than Canberra! We brought stuff w us, but I wouldn't bother next time (unless there are specific things you want)

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Prices

Apples and crisps are cheaper here than Canberra! We brought stuff w us, but I wouldn't bother next time (unless there are specific things you want)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Prices

Price isn't really the problem. We just got back from magnetic island and had read the comments on this forum so thought sure lets buy our grocers on the island. Convenience is worth more than the $1 we might save.

*** Except that sooooo much of the food in the IGA supermarket is sold with expired use by dates. Or food that was still in date were mouldy. We took a few things back to the shop to be refunded.

We wished we did a bigger shop in Townsville before heading over. If you are driving pack your groceries.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Prices

Anything you NEED buy ahead .. and anything you WANT and are happy to take with you.. You just have to weigh up if the hassle of transporting it yourself is worth it.

If you want a specific brand of coffee etc.. then make sure you take that type of thing with you. Generally it's not hard to buy what you want from the IGA and there are supermarkets and food stores at Arcadia, Horseshoe Bay etc.. in any case.. depends on where you are staying but if you are staying within walking distance of Nelly Bay or have a car then nothing should be a problem.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery Prices

The OP was travelling in March!!!

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery Prices

so people know there is also a very good Foodwork supermarket in Nelly Bay

Surfers Paradise...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery Prices

I hope you dont mind me contacting you Marlene but I am thinking of re-locating from the Gold Coast to Maggie, I am in my 70's and mainly would love to know if there are any activities for seniors on the island, ie: a senior citizens club, craft groups etc Everything looks so peaceful there, I have recently lost my husband and just want a nice peaceful happy life now, is there a large amount of retiree's living there? I am not a drinker and unfortunately cannot do Lawn bowls any more, (carpet bowls ok) so just need to find out what I can do apart from swimming and fishing.

Thanks a lot for your time

Patricia

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery Prices

Patricia have sent you a PM

Reply to: Grocery Prices
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Magnetic Island