We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail and Skyway in Summer

Which Kuranda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Rail and Skyway in Summer

Hello! I will be in Cairns mid December and want to go to Kuranda. I plan on taking the 9:30 train there and the 2PM skyway back. I know there is no air conditioning on either.

Will I bake I the cable car in the mid afternoon? Would I be better off leaving a little earlier?

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Hope Valley...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail and Skyway in Summer

hello, it can get quite warm on both. In the cable car although there is no air-conditioning, there are large open gaps above the doors and this along with the movement of the car, lets in fresh air and a little breeze. It is best to get off at both stops and walk along the boardwalks through the rainforest as this is mostly covered by the trees etc., so you can cool down a bit and between both stops it is not a long ride, so wear light cotton clothing & a wide brimmed hat and it is worth the effort. When you book your ticket on the train, ask for a window seat so that you get the breeze from the open windows. The seats can get a bit warm so again either wear a 3/4 length cotton skirt or 3/4 light pants so that your legs are not in contact with the leather seats. I would even suggest you take along a little paper fan whilst taking the journey. It could be quite humid. The cable cars have a solid roof, but big windows all the way around, so you are not in the direct sun from the top. Enjoy your trip !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail and Skyway in Summer

Thank you!

HK
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail and Skyway in Summer

How can we reserve the railway and cable car and one way coach from cable station to hotel in Cairns city.

Also, how to reserve Army Duck and Aboriginal culture show in the same trip.

Is it required to reserve the shuttle bus for travelling from Kurander Market to Cable station. Many Thanks.

HK
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail and Skyway in Summer

How can we reserve the railway and cable car and one way coach from cable station to hotel in Cairns city.

Is it required to reserve the shuttle bus for travelling from Kurander Market to Cable station. Many Thanks.

HK
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail and Skyway in Summer

Reply to: Rail and Skyway in Summer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted