We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mission Beach

Calif
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mission Beach

We are going to Mission Beach is September for 3 nights as well as Pt. Douglas for 4 nights. Can you tell me which location has the best reef experince day trip and is closer to the reef....

Thanks !

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
21 replies to this topic
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mission Beach

Hi Fnsio

I just came back from four days in a private rental at South Mission Beach which was just lovely. A small cottage on the beach called "The Shack at South Mission" was really nice. It's a small home run by a lovely married couple who charge about $100 per night. I explored all the communities and Mission Beach itself has some restaurants. If you want to be in walking distance to those Mission would be better. But for a relaxing few days away from the hustle and bustle I couldn't recommend The Shack at South Missionmore highly . Have a look at the Mission Beach local tourism site for some information.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mission Beach

Thanks for the tips!

In the end we have booked a house called True Blue in Wongaling. I looks like it will be nice from the pictures. Sounds like there is lots to do in Mission and in Wongaling, so we are really looking forward to this vacation.

Best,

fnsio

Mission Beach...
Level Contributor
13 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mission Beach

I live beachfront at Wongaling Beach. There are 3 restaurants in walking distance and Woolies and a take away at the caravan park. It is quiet and very friendly. "North' Mission Beach has the post office, few shops and several restaurants.There is no public transport except car rental or taxi.

Hereford
Level Contributor
148 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mission Beach

Hi Folks

I was just about to post the same question!

We are visiting TNQ for a Road trip from Brisbane to Cairns in August and are staying in Mission Beach for 2-3 days in the Eco Village Resort. We are visiting Lady Elliott Island but we wanted another couple of trips out to the reef. I was thinking of taking a trip from 2 of Mission Beach, Port Douglas and Cape Tribulation. I did consider the Whitsundays but I posted the same question there and got a couple of responses saying that the reef was better further north and at Lady Elliott

We are family of 4 and only interested in Snorkelling. The Big Mama sailing company seem to have good reviews. Just not sure whether to take a trip to the reef from MB or just enjoy the beach and surroundings or perhaps take a trip out to Dunk Island. So much choice not enough time

Paul - i noted your offer to direct another contributor to a local beach snorkelling spot so if it would be ok I may come and ask for you at Castaways for some directions

Looking forward to our trip so much it hurts :)

Andy

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Eco Village Resort Mission Beach
Eco Village Resort...
281 Reviews
Mission Beach, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Dunk Island
Dunk Island
34 Reviews
Dunk Island, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Mission Beach

Can you tell me how to get to Mission Beach? From Brisbane to Cairns or port Douglas via plane, then by boat?? I am unsure need advice thanks

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,334 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mission Beach

The easiest way I know, is to drive south from Cairns.

https:/…maps.php

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
17. Re: Mission Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2017, 20:30

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,747 posts
1,764 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Mission Beach

To get to Mission Beach from Cairns you need to drive 2hrs south . Mission Beach, situated midway between Townsville and Cairns i. From Brisbane its a 17hr drive. You can fly from Brisbane to Townsville or Cairns. Its a 3hr drive from Townsville.

The Greyhound bus also is available from Cairns.

https:/…cairns-townsville

Mission Beach is a gateway to the Great Barrier Reef and a perfect base for visiting nearby Dunk, Bedarra and Hinchinbrook islands.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Townsville
Townsville
Queensland, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Mission Beach

I think Wongaling beach is the best

Edited: 26 June 2017, 06:52
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Mission Beach

I don't think Monique is being truthful in her post above. I have stayed at the Shack and by no stretch of the imagination could the street it is on be described as a "main traffic area". There are no "tables and chairs" across the street which are frequented day and night. This is simply not true. Take a look at the web site and you will see a couple of pictures which show the view from the house across the water. There are no tables and chairs across the road, just a beautiful foreshore area with a view across the bay to the islands beyond. "No privacy and people can see straight into the property?" What a load of nonsense. This house is no less private than any house beside the road. The description that Monique has posted is simply untrue. It is not a matter of opinion - her post is objectively untrue and can be nothing but intentionally so.

Which leads me to suggest that being "poisoned" by the spa is an interesting story which should be taken in context of her entire post, which is nonsense.

Reply to: Mission Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted