We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to have a wedding...booked at Hayman but really nervou

Which Mission Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Where to have a wedding...booked at Hayman but really nervou

Hi,

I have booked my wedding on Hayman Island, but now I am really, really nervous about it. Mainly that it will be really expensive and not meet my expectations. I don't think I am high maintenance, but if we are paying five star prices I would want five star accommodations, and everything I have read leads me to think that will not be the case. ;-) (yes I should have read more before I paid my $$)

I would lose my deposit, but I am considering going else where. Thinking somewhere like Mission Beach or Arlie Beach...maybe leading towards not a resort setting, but a unique place..

Anyway advice would be great.

;-)

3 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to have a wedding...booked at Hayman but really nervou

It's hard call.

many of the negatives on hayman come from those who werent at weddings or conferences (and TBH weddings conferences are one of the reason we stopped visiting)

email them and tell them your concerns..how they respond will give you a good feel for whether or not it will work for you

(BTW Hayman is remote so expect things tp be pricey..australia is pricey)

Denver
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to have a wedding...booked at Hayman but really nervou

Thanks @guruswife -- I know it is quite stressful. Definitely realize that it will be pricey, I do have a pretty detailed quote. I don't mind paying top dollar, but I don't want to if I leave there thinking it wasn't worth it. I just thought after they were closed for so long doing renovations it would be like a brand new hotel, but I was just now reading reviews that it still needs updating...that is what go me started thinking about backing out. It will cost me to back out...but at the end of the day it might still save me...

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to have a wedding...booked at Hayman but really nervou

Hi there,

Pre-wedding nerves are no fun! You want it to be perfect.

I've sourced the link to the Hayman reviews for you: tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g255086-d258… You'll see most of them are very complimentary but there are a couple of not so happy customers too.

Just a thought, had you considered Villa Botanica in Airlie Beach as an option? It's got an excellent reputation as a unique wedding venue, and your guests can choose accommodation in Airlie Beach to suit their own tastes and budgets.

I hope you can work out what you want to do! There's so much fun to be had in planning a wedding :)

Cheers, TW

Reply to: Where to have a wedding...booked at Hayman but really nervou
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mission Beach