We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunk island or whitsunday

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Dunk island or whitsunday

Hi!

I'm planning a 3 week trip to Australia's east coast in september 2007.

I was thinking of going to mission beach for two nights and doing a day trip to dunk island and then going to airlie beach for two nights and doing a day trip to whitehaven beach and snorkel at hook island.

Would it be better to skip dunk island and do a second day trip in the whitsunday area (like to hamilton, daydream)instead? or would you keep dunk?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Melbourne
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunk island or whitsunday

Hi there :) Mission Beach and Dunk Island are very worthwhile to visit. I spent a couple of months at Mission Beach and would love nothing more than to retire there :) It is utterly beautiful, quiet, quite remote and so far, Australia's best kept secrets so sssssh;) It is not like places such as Palm Cove and Port Douglas where it's extremely touristy. Just a lovely quiet place and heaps of beach ALL to yourself. Keep in mind though, you might be well advised to have a car or other transport as depending on where you are staying, the shops might be some distance from you. I spent a day on Dunk Island and its ok as well.

The Whitsunday group of Islands are I believe very wonderful as well - I spent a couple of days at Airlie many years back, but don't know enough to help with that area except remember it was very touristy. I saw a documentary the other night and a perfect way to get to see them is on a yacht trip where you get to view a great many of the islands and that looked awesome :)

Let me know if I can give any other aspects to you....and enjoy :)

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunk island or whitsunday

Good plan as you'll enjoy both places. Dunk is lay-back, relatively unspoiled with excellent rain forest walking tracks and a very nice beach front aspect - a very good drop in spot with reasonable cafe style food. Hamilton is big and brash and over developed (plenty of people love this sort of thing) with heaps of entertainment and eating options. Daydream is small and quiet and probably over developed and claims to be a day spa - I stop in there on the way home from fishing trips for a beer and a swim in their nice big pool. All three are great for an ocean swim but not much to see underwater.

I beg to differ that Mission "is yet to be discovered". The property market is booming with land/house prices spiralling ($1 million no longer buys water front). You may not see this if you simply drop in to the old part of the beach as most of the development is at the southern/middle beach.

3. Re: Dunk island or whitsunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 12:16