We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Flinders Ranges in January

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,496 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to Flinders Ranges in January

Hi, we (2 adults + a teenager) are considering either a 'last minute' visit to the FR in this September school holidays or January next year. Will the weather be too hot in January (we don't mind dry heat) ? Also will there be many tourists doing the same thing ?

We won't have a FWD so just hire car to see the country and do some short walks or booked tours.

Thanks

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Flinders Ranges in January

Yes is could be quite hot and dry, however its still a place where you can drive and enjoy views from your airconditioned car. The Blinman Mine experience is underground and a good way to escape the heat one afternoon. It's not peak tourist season for this area but then again, I've been to Uluru and watched tourists climb the rock in 40 degree heat so anything's possible. The Flinders Ranges is near Port Augusta and you could also tie in a water cruise, swimming etc there on the way through/back.

If you decide that the Flinders is possibly not right for you on this trip, I thoroughly recommend a trip to Port Lincoln and a swim with the Sea Lions at Baird Bay or with Adventure Bay Charters in Port Lincoln itself. It's one of the best times to explore the beautiful beaches of Port Lincoln and with all the options to swim with dolphins, sealions and tuna it could be a great Summer family adventure.

On the South Australia forum page there are links to videos ("which region should I visit?" Top question) which will show you what you might expect from Eyre Peninsula (port lincoln) and the Flinders Ranges.

Perhaps have a look at both regions and see which might appeal.

2. Re: Visit to Flinders Ranges in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 12:15
Get answers to your questions about Flinders Ranges...