We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grampians to Wilpena Pound - which route?

TN
Level Contributor
506 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Grampians to Wilpena Pound - which route?

I will be traveling with my mother in the first of December from Halls Gap to Wilpena Pound. My husband and I drove this a few years ago and traveled via Murray Bridge. Considering traveling via Mildura this route so my mother can see more of the outback. Thoughts or recommendations?

8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grampians to Wilpena Pound - which route?

Well, you wont see anything of the Outback. The route via Mildura is a good choice. There are several interesting towns along the way and the roads are generally not too crowded. Besides Mildura there is Renmark, Waikerie & Burra to name just a few. It is worth taking time to visit Wentworth and view the junction of the Murray & Darling rivers.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,988 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grampians to Wilpena Pound - which route?

Outback yes.

Mildura to Broken Hill, to Peterborough to Hawker via the RM Williams Way or to Quorn via the Wilmington Quorn Rd then to Wilpena Pound. If you have a 4wheel drive you could detour to lake Mungo between Mildura and Broken Hill

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,224 posts
1,448 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grampians to Wilpena Pound - which route?

I love the route via Clare Valley / Laura / Melrose / Hammond / to Craddock - very Australian with a definite outback experience.

see my TR below

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k5…

TN
Level Contributor
506 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grampians to Wilpena Pound - which route?

Me again! Finalizing plans and will probably drive via Ellemay's route. I was considering overnight stay in Lyndoch. Is that a good location or is there a better stopping point for the night?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,224 posts
1,448 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grampians to Wilpena Pound - which route?

Where are you driving from ?? You may be better off staying at Clare Valley as there is more available regarding accommodation & restaurants.

Its approx. 1.5hrs drive from Lyndoch to Clare Valley.

TN
Level Contributor
506 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grampians to Wilpena Pound - which route?

We will be driving from Halls Gap to Wilpena Pound

TN
Level Contributor
506 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grampians to Wilpena Pound - which route?

I currently have a reservation with Bellescapes at Lyndoch but now wondering if another location would be better for a stop over. Thanks!

Edited: 26 March 2014, 14:20
TN
Level Contributor
506 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grampians to Wilpena Pound - which route?

I wish I had a few more days! Upon further review I think we will adjust our route and travel from Halls Gap to Flinders via Murray Sunset National Park (so my mother can see pink lakes), Red Cliffs, Burra, Clare, Melrose and up to Wilpena. We will spend the night in Clare or Burra. Any other thoughts or suggestions for the route?

PS If I don't say it often enough - thank you to TA friends who have provided such valuable feedback for all my travels. Not sure how I previously traveled without you.

Edited: 29 March 2014, 14:24
Reply to: Grampians to Wilpena Pound - which route?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Flinders Ranges...