We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Tastings

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
263 posts
858 reviews
Save Topic
Wine Tastings

We're going to Australia in July / August. We also visit the McLaren Vale and wanna do some wine tasting. Most places - people told me - you just can walk in. We did lots of tastings before in Napa Valley and also in Spain. Some few in France. Everywhere you pay. But I've heard many in Australia offer it for free. Is that so?

And if....is it a bit strange to have a tasting but not purchase their wine afterwards? Because we plan to do quite some amount of tastings...and we can't just buy a bottle everywhere we go, just to be nice.

Sorry to post this here AND on the Barossa Valley forum....just wanna be sure to get lots of feedback.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
McLaren Vale
McLaren Vale
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Barossa Valley
Barossa Valley
South Australia, Australia
27 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Tastings

Haven't been to McLaren Vale but my experience in Yarra Valley is that most (not all) charge a small fee approx $5 per person for tasting which is refundable if you buy any wine etc.

If you plan on drinking a lot, go with a pre-booked tour guide who will do all of the driving for you and generally help ease the day as they know most of the good wineries etc.

Mentioned in this post
McLaren Vale
McLaren Vale
Yarra Valley
Yarra Valley
Victoria, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Tastings

It is true that many are free.

The Yarra Valley charging me quite surprised me at first (and this was a while ago)

There are also some that charge in maclaren and barossa. Some only charge to taste their premium selection.

To be polite only taste what you are interested in.

Be aware of the .05 rule for driving.

Mentioned in this post
Yarra Valley
Yarra Valley
Victoria, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Tastings

Yarra Valley is in Victoria....I have no idea why the Victorians are charging for wine tasting

Here in South Australia, McLaren Vale, just like the Barossa is free.

weekendnotes.com/free-things-to-do-mclaren-v…

"5 Free Things to do in McLaren Vale....

1. Individual Wine Tasting Tour

If you are a wine-lover, it's a must to visit a few of the award winning wineries of the region. The McLaren Vale is famous for their Shiraz and you will find many well-known names in the wine business. Find the complete brochure of cellar doors in the Visitor Centre and follow your own taste................"

Edited: 30 June 2014, 06:45
Mentioned in this post
Yarra Valley
Yarra Valley
Victoria, Australia
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
McLaren Vale
McLaren Vale
Barossa Valley
Barossa Valley
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine Tastings

Good old Aussie's gotta love the patriotism! The Yarra was good. I actually used to rate old world wines higher than Aussie wines until I moved here and tried them from the cellar door - best wines I have tasted in a long time. I'm looking forward to sampling the SA wines!

Good to know that they don't charge too!

Mentioned in this post
Yarra Valley
Yarra Valley
Victoria, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine Tastings

"Good old Aussie's gotta love the patriotism!"

Hehe, as much as there is always a healthy rivalry between SA and Victoria, I was intending no shot at the Vics. Just trying to clarify for someone coming from Switzerland who may be unfamiliar with our wine districts, that the Yarra Valley in Victoria ,or similarly the Hunter in NSW, is far removed from the wine growing districts here in SA, by hundreds of kilometres.

I do now worry about this trend of charging for tastings though, as should it spread it can be a double edged sword:

-Tasting as another source of income for wineries

-Charging for tasting could see cellar door tasting dropping off, which in turn doesn't provide customers with an experience of the wines.

This sorta thing could lead to wine sales dropping off (ie: Why drink that Barossa Valley Cabernet that I have never tried, when I already know the Californian stuff I'm familiar with is ok and reasonably priced).

Living near the Barossa Valley, wine tasting is an institution here, which promotes the local product and keeps travellers visiting the district. I'd hate to see that jeapordised by following a trend to start charging for what has always been provided free.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
Yarra Valley
Yarra Valley
Victoria, Australia
Barossa Valley
Barossa Valley
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine Tastings

Ranger, Shaw and Smith (yes I know its the Hills) charge.

Pirramimma charged last time we were there… and the cellar door was empty. There was one other, perhaps Angoves?

The silly part to charging is I am less likely to buy something unless I really love it.

Yarra has been charging for at least 12 years….. who cares if you sell wine at the door when your restaurant etc is actually bringing in way more $

Edited: 30 June 2014, 08:37
Mentioned in this post
Yarra Valley
Yarra Valley
Victoria, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine Tastings

My experience in the Yarra Valley is that only a small handful of wineries charge tasting fees - Domaine Chandon being one of them. IMO their wines aren't anything special and I'm happy to bypass their cellar doors for places that don't have such a high opinion of their own importance.

Mentioned in this post
Yarra Valley
Yarra Valley
Victoria, Australia
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
263 posts
858 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine Tastings

Thanks a lot guys!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine Tastings

The majority of wineries in the maclaren vale area are small family based businesses trying to earn a living, by selling their product. Cellar doors are there to sample for the intended purchaser. They are not intended for people having free tastings at every place they come to. If you cant afford a bottle then dont be a free loader! Some are only $10.

IMHO a conscientious tourist will support the local areas he is visiting.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine Tastings

Magpie girl. If you go into a dress boutique and try things on but nothing fits. Do you buy it anyway?

Reply to: Wine Tastings
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about McLaren Vale