We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nfl hall of fame

Which Canton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
nfl hall of fame

Want to take my 12 year old grandsons to see the NFL and MBL Hall of fames this August. Flying from San Francisco. What would work best to get from one to another? Anything else not to bemissed?

6 replies to this topic
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nfl hall of fame

Do you want to make a round trip to avoid car rental drop charges, or are you willing to pay a drop charge in order to pick up a rental car in one city and drop it in another city?

The distances in the East are relatively compact, and there are weeks worth of significant attractions within one day of either the NFL or Baseball Hall of Fames, including Boston, NYC, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, Gettysburg, and Chicago. So you could fly into Washington, NYC (Newark Liberty for Southwest Airlines), or Boston, depending upon your interests, and fly out of Cleveland, Detroit or Chicago.

E.g., if you started in Washington or Boston (Freedom Trail, including the U.S.S. Constitution), you could get a superior skyscraper fix in Chicago. Chicago has an excellent Museum of Science and Industry in addition to other attractions. You also could start in Pittsburgh, which has arguably the best MLB stadium, the National Aviary, and other attractions.

Do you know when in summer you make this trip? How much time have you budgeted for the trip? Will there be anybody else on this trip besides you and two 12-year-old boys? Are there any interests besides sports? Is there any interest in hiking or nature?

If your grandsons enjoy roller coasters, Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world, is less than hour west of Cleveland Hopkins airport in Sandusky, OH.

Niagara Falls and the Henry Ford in Dearborn, MI, are other major attractions that would interest young boys.

Put-in-Bay on South Bass Island, a short ferry ride from Sandusky, features some important, but not well known American history. Ohio Amish Country, the largest Amish community in the world, is one of the best cultural experiences in the eastern U.S., and its epicenter is just southwest of Canton, the home of the NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Presque Isle, just west of Erie, PA, is a premier location to experience fresh water surf swimming. At its entrance is Waldameer Park, one of the nation's last trolley amusement parks (there is no admission charge, visitors pay for rides individually). It has one of the top-rated wooden roller coasters in the world.

See Canton, Sandusky, Lake Erie islands, Presque Isle and Ohio Amish Country discussion in the following travel article.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

Cleveland has an excellent (don't visit on Mondays, a free day for locals) and reasonably priced zoo; the unique West Side Market; the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; and two excellent maritime exhibits -- the U.S.S. Cod (the last WWII fleet submarine not cut up to accommodate visitors, and equipped much as it was at the time of its retirement, even down to gallery aprons) and the Steamship Mather (one of the most innovative naval vessels in history, an ASME mechanical engineering landmark, and once the Queen of the Great Lakes). The Cleveland Museum of Art is one of the best in the U.S., but has free admission, making it ideal for children. Young boys typically enjoy it, because of its leading digital features (including he nation's largest multi-touch screen in its Gallery One, and its outstanding collections of armor, weapons, and other boy-friendly artifacts). See discussions of all of these in attractions in the following travel article.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

The Udvar-Hazy Center of the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum next to Dulles Airport and Dayton, OH, would be top-notch attractions if your grandsons enjoy aviation and space history.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

Good planning!

California
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nfl hall of fame

Thanks for the information. I am going to be making a quick trip of it. I think I will fly into Cleveland, Ohio. We can do the NFL Hall of Fame and also take in the Amish area which I would like since I am a quilter. I think then we could go on to New York for the MBL Hall of Fame and fly home from there. I would love to take them to Boston but their Mom's want to do that later. This is just my surprise to them since they both love both sports as I do. I know not to go the last week of July or the first week of August since there is a lot of activity at that time at the NFL Hall of Fame. Will probably go right after that.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nfl hall of fame

Babs,

Did you see this discussion in the experience Ohio Amish Country link in the Cleveland "Day Trips" travel article?

experience-ohio-amish-country.com/amish-quil…

You'll have to let us know how much your grandsons enjoyed Ohio Amish Country!

Have a great trip!!!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nfl hall of fame

The Cleveland National Air Show is very good. It's uniquely on the lakefront, allowing the planes to perform relatively close to the audience over Lake Erie without having to worry about crashing into the audience or any

buildings.

http://www.clevelandairshow.com/

Your grandsons would love it, especially if they've never been to an air show.

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
96 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nfl hall of fame

Oh Babs, you have GOT to go to Cedar Point Amusement park in Sandusky Ohio, about 90 min. west of Cleveland---its the best roller coaster park on the planet, seriously! Might be interested in the Rock & Roll HOF too---and a Cleveland Indians game on a beautiful night by the lake is ALWAYS fun. If you flew to Buffalo, that would put you about halfway between Cleveland and Cooperstown---Canton (home of the Pro Football HOF) is about an hour south of Cleveland.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
96 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nfl hall of fame

This is probably the best quilt shop in the are, if not Ohio:

http://www.helpinghandsquilts.com/

The Mennonite Relief Sale is absolutely HUGE and includes dozens of incredible quilts donated by Amish and Mennonite women in the area--Kidron is also in the heart of Amish Country: (the date this year is August 1-2)

…mcc.org/sales/ohio-mennonite-relief-sale

In addition, the Pro Football Hall of Fame festival is the first weekend in August and the whole town is packed with people, so take that into consideration when you plan your trip!

Reply to: nfl hall of fame
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canton