We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Restaurants near Renaissance Cleveland

Ballston Spa, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown Restaurants near Renaissance Cleveland

Looking for restaurant suggestions near Renaissance Cleveland--breakfast/dinner (reasonable). In Cleveland until Friday--going to Blue Point Grille Thursday for staff dinner. Had lunch at Flannery's today and it was EXCELLENT! So impressed with the food, and how waiter remembered all five of our orders (and a few were quite detailed) without writing anything down.

Thank you for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Renaissance Cleveland Hotel
Renaissance Cleveland...
1,228 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Blue Point Grille
Blue Point Grille
820 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Restaurants near Renaissance Cleveland

Breakfast downtown can be tough. Try Waterstreet Grill - it's on W. 9th street in the warehouse district.

Dinner can get pricy when you're downtown. I'm not sure what to recommend that would be within walking distance of the hotel, inexpensive and tasty. Hmm.

My usual recommendations include Lola, Johnny's and the Chop House but those can get pricy. You could do light and tasty food accompanying wine at Vivo, which is just a couple of doors down from the Blue Point?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Restaurants near Renaissance Cleveland

You may have to look into the small breakfast, newspaper places. Ask your concierge at the hotel if there are any small breakfast places downtown. There are some small dinners, like on East 55th and St. Clair (the east 55th Street diner!) that serves breakfast - most are cash only.

Ballston Spa, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Restaurants near Renaissance Cleveland

Thanks so much for your responses. We ended up going to Panera this morning for a quick bite. Another great dinner tonight--went to Fat Fish Blue! DELISH!!

Okay--seeking your expertise, once again. As I had mentioned in my original post, we had planned a group dinner for Thursday evening at Blue Point. May have a change of heart, though, as our CEO ate there last night, thought it was great, but didn't like that everything is ala carte. What is your opinion of the ChopHouse?

Also, what is the best mode of transport to University Circle. We would like to catch the "Diana" exhibit tomorrow evening. Any restaurant recommendations for that area?

Thanks, again, for all of your help.

Dolores

Mentioned in this post
Blue Point Grille
Blue Point Grille
820 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
University Circle
University Circle
241 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Ballston Spa, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Restaurants near Renaissance Cleveland

Thanks so much for your responses. We ended up going to Panera this morning for a quick bite. Another great dinner tonight--went to Fat Fish Blue! DELISH!!

Okay--seeking your expertise, once again. As I had mentioned in my original post, we had planned a group dinner for Thursday evening at Blue Point. May have a change of heart, though, as our CEO ate there last night, thought it was great, but didn't like that everything is ala carte. What is your opinion of the ChopHouse?

Also, what is the best mode of transport to University Circle. We would like to catch the "Diana" exhibit tomorrow evening. Any restaurant recommendations for that area?

Dolores

Mentioned in this post
Blue Point Grille
Blue Point Grille
820 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
University Circle
University Circle
241 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Ballston Spa, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Restaurants near Renaissance Cleveland

Dolores

Mentioned in this post
Blue Point Grille
Blue Point Grille
820 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
University Circle
University Circle
241 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown Restaurants near Renaissance Cleveland

I like the ChopHouse. They are a chain but pretty good for a chain. HUGE portions however. Don't miss the white cheddar mashed potatoes, and they have some good beers brewed on premisis.

Going to University Circle, you have a couple of options but as it's rainy today, make sure you take umbrellas and raincoats. You can take the bus there. www.gcrta.org or call their help line to find out the best route. There is a train/RTA rapid that goes out there but I don't think it lets off near where you want to be so I would say the bus is better, but you will have to do a little walking.

For dinner that's close by there, try Sergio's, which is right in University Circle amongst the Case campus buildings. http://www.sergioscleveland.com/about_uc.html

Mentioned in this post
University Circle
University Circle
241 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland Heights...
Level Contributor
196 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown Restaurants near Renaissance Cleveland

Glad to hear you have had positive dining experiences during your visit!

If you don't mind walking, catching the bus to get to University Circle is not a bad idea - if I remember correctly the #9 bus has a couple of stops on Euclid Ave. in the middle of the CWRU campus. If you are pressed for time or if people in your group aren't into walking a cab is your best bet.

For dinner, I agree that Sergio's is a very good choice, just a few minutes walk from the Diana exhibit - but make sure you have reservations, it fills up fast. After dinner you can call a cab (Sergio's can probably do that as well) to get back downtown. I don't want to say that catching a bus back to downtown isn't safe, but after rush hour the schedule is probably not as frequent.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
University Circle
University Circle
241 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Ballston Spa, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown Restaurants near Renaissance Cleveland

Thanks so much--to all of you--for your recommendations. Actually have been working from my hotel room this a.m., so didn't even notice that it was raining.

Probably will take a cab, as I think some in my group are tired from the long days at the conference--and don't want to walk too much, especially in the rain.

Again, I appreciate the help. If you are ever in the Upstate NY area--around the Albany/Saratoga Springs region--I'd be more than happy to return the favor. :)

Have a great day!

Dolores

Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown Restaurants near Renaissance Cleveland

I saw the Diana exhibit on Sunday, and it was very nice - I did the complete tour with the audio, although you may find you don't need since most of the information is in written form. The dresses are amazing. It is also very well done, very sad too. It takes about 1.5 hours not quite 2 hours. The items to buy are expensive, but since most of the money goes to her charities, I did buy the perfume bottle - it was really pretty. We then headed over to Little Italy and had dinner at La Dolce Vita - it was nice, but that would be quite a walk for you.

You could probably pre-arrange your transportation via the hotel - I would always check to see if they have some kind of bus or van - if there are several people going, they may take you and pick you up. it is only about 10 minutes away by car.

10. Re: Downtown Restaurants near Renaissance Cleveland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 08:19