We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Cleveland- recommendations?

Bel Air, Maryland
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Cleveland- recommendations?

We're going to Cleveland on Columbus Day weekend...I ahev a few questions:

1) Is the airport close to downtown Cleveland? How far of a car ride is it? Is there public transportation from the airport to downtown? We're trying to decide if we need to rent a car.

2) We plan to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame museum and MOCA. Any other suggestions? We're not sports fans...we like museums and history and art and that kind of thing.

3)Nice hotel recommendations? Not too expensive?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
7,713 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Cleveland- recommendations?

Welcome to the Cleveland board!

You may want to visit my notes on this forum for websites that can help plan your trip. If you like museums, the place for you would be University Circle, where many of the museums are located. Close by is Historic Little Italy - lots of arts galleries and very good Italian restaurants. Musuems include the Cleveland Museum of Art, Natural History Musuem, Western Reserve Historical Society, etc.

www.universitycircle.org

I would recommend renting a car - the public transportation in Cleveland is not reliable, and you will need to drive to MOCA and the University Circle area. You could probably take cabs too, but that could be pricey.

Hotels downtown that aren't too expenisve are Hilton Garden Inn, and they Hyatt Arcade is usually reasonable. The Hilton may be better for parking.

Mentioned in this post
The Cleveland Hostel
The Cleveland Hostel
103 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
University Circle
University Circle
241 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland Museum of Art
Cleveland Museum of Art
2,793 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Western Reserve Historical Society
Western Reserve...
112 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Cleveland- recommendations?

The airport is on the outskirts. Give yourself 45 minutes to drive downtown.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Cleveland- recommendations?

The airport is in the suburbs but not the outskirts. It is 12 miles due south of downtown down I-71, a very easy drive to/from the airport to downtown; even in rush hour, it's maybe a 30 minute drive from downtown. I live south of the airport and my commute to downtown is almost never as long as 45 minutes unless it's a driving snowstorm.

But you definitely will need a car if you plan to do anywhere outside of downtown as our public trans system is not that great. It's easy to drive here and we can give you plenty of suggestions.

Also downtown are the William Mather Steamship and the SS Cod sub that you can tour pretty inexpensively, I think they're $5 each. There are a number of good art galleries in town as well; check out the Scene or Free Times online, our free weekly papers to get an idea of what's happening (www.clevescene.com and www.freetimes.com)

There are a number of relatively inexpensive hotels downtown but parking is pricy. You might find it more enjoyable to try a place like the Glidden House, which is a B&B in University Circle, which is where the art museum is (it's a short drive to/from downtown to university circle).

Mentioned in this post
Glidden House
Glidden House
698 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
University Circle
University Circle
241 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Cleveland- recommendations?

The outskirts of Cleveland would be the suburbs as the airport is not in Cleveland. It is also SouthWest not Due South and apparently you have not driven from downtown to the airport to catch a flight. Give yourself 45 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Cleveland- recommendations?

Perhaps we can just agree to disagree. If you consider "suburbs" and "outskirts" the same thing, then yeah, it's the outskirts. I would consider Medina or Brunswick to be the outskirts, not 12 miles from downtown. I just asked 4 of my co-workers if they considered the airport to be on the "outskirts" of town and they don't consider it to be there either, so maybe it's just a different perception of that word.

I regularly fly for work, which includes driving to/from work downtown to the airport. It takes me maybe 20 minutes tops if it's not rush hour.

Mentioned in this post
Brunswick
Brunswick
Golden Isles of Georgia, GA
Brookhaven...
Level Contributor
287 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Cleveland- recommendations?

We're in Cleveland visiting right now and we're at the Hilton Garden Inn. We rented a car and it was no problem driving from the airport, probably 20 minutes. The Hilton Garden Inn has a free shuttle within a mile. They took us to the Rock Hall and back, then to the Great Lakes Science Center, which was awesome. My kids (17, 13, 9) loved it.

Mentioned in this post
Great Lakes Science Center
Great Lakes Science...
546 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Tecumseh, Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Cleveland- recommendations?

Intercontinental, attached to the hospital

Excellant.

on the net 120.00 per night, we stayed for the Kenny Concert.

Bri

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
559 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to Cleveland- recommendations?

I am willing to fuel the fire...

According to Webster, "outskirt" means a part remote from the center

In that definition seeing that the airport is not "part of the center" of Cleveland, I would say the airport is on the outskirts. Indeed, even the suburbs are on the outskirts of town whether it is Shaker Hts, Rocky River, Parma, or Brecksville.

That said, I cannot imagine it taking 45 minutes to get from the airport to downtown unless it was rush hour and even then 45 minutes would be a stretch! As far as major airports in major cities...Hopkins is closer to downtown than most of them.

Mentioned in this post
new jersey
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit to Cleveland- recommendations?

We just returned from our first visit to Cleveland.

We enjoyed our hotel, Embassy suites, downtown. It was a real good hotel with great breakfast each morning. The only problem I see for you is the parking - it cost $10 daily with no in/out privileges, otherwise $18/valet. But they shuttle you around everywhere. they took us to a restaurant and will pick you up.

The rooms had hd tv's. The staff was real friendly.

We did the sports stuff - Cleveland Indians game and tour of stadium next day - so can't help you with questio #2. But this hotel is within walkng distance of rock hall of fame.

And we booked our hotel through hotels.com. When all said and done $200 a night incl tax, etc.

Have a great time

Mentioned in this post
Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
559 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit to Cleveland- recommendations?

BTW, I think the airport is technically in Cleveland...I thought they had done a land swap with Brookpark.

Mentioned in this post