We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cleveland Restaurants

London, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Cleveland Restaurants

I will be in Cleveland for the Columbus Day weekend. I need some advice on restaurants in the downtown area. I would like a good, but not too expensive Italian restaurant for Saturday night (my wife's running a marathon on Sunday and needs a carb boost). I would also like a place to eat both Friday and Sunday night. On Sunday I would like to take her to a place more upscale. For Friday any good affordable place would be great. Any advice would be appreciated.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
354 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cleveland Restaurants

If I was you I would hit Little Italy for some great Italian food!

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cleveland Restaurants

Are you willing to drive a short distance for dinner or do you desire walking distance from a downtown hotel?

If you'll drive, you might want to go to Tremont, which is about 5 minutes from downtown. There are several places there that would be good for any of the nights. Fahrenheit (http://www.fahrenheittremont.com/), Lolita (www.lolabistro.com) and Fat Cats (http://coolplacestoeat.com/fatcats.html) come to top of mind; Lolita has just started doing some really amazing flatbread pizzas. If you do go to little Italy, go to La Dolce Vita, I think they have the best pesto sauce in town. If you want to stay downtown, you might consider the Cleveland Chophouse, they have really good white cheddar mashed potatoes and huge portions - she could get a side of those and a side of the mushroom-asparagus risotto and that would be more than enough for a meal.

For Sunday's nicer dinner, I suggest Lola (same owner/website as Lolita, above) which is downtown on E. 4th street between Euclid and Prospect.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cleveland Restaurants

I would definitely go to Little Italy for great and reasonable priced Italian Food. Little Italy is located close to the University Circle Area.

www.universitycircle.org.

There are great restaurants along the Warehouse District downtown, located between W6th and W9th Streets - with several different kinds of food - Blue Point Grille for fish, etc. - I am not sure if there is a Brown's game that day - Sunday. For really great food - try Bice (upscale Italian) near the Ritz Hotel, or Morton's (steaks) located in Tower City. Sunday, the Ritz would have a brunch, but that may be too early for you if your wife is doing the race. The Tremont area, as mentioned has some nice restaurants too.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cleveland Restaurants

Thanks all. Other than Bice is there an Italian restaurant downtown. We'ew staying at the Embassy Suites.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cleveland Restaurants

Ponte Vecchio is located on the west side of the Flats - by some new modern apartments. Very good, but very expensive. Johnny's downtown has excellent food, but they seem to cater more to people who are somebodies. They are located on W.6th Street. Mallorco on W. 9th Street has excellent spanish food.

Lakewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cleveland Restaurants

If you do decide to go to Tremont, you can check out Farenheit as well. Rocco will take good care of you!

Parallax is also wonderful for eclectic fare.

For something more casual, try Southside, it has a great patio with an outdoor fireplace.

If you're willing to venture a little further West, Three Birds and Swingos in Lakewood are upscale and delicious!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cleveland Restaurants

As I stated I will be in Cleveland on Columbus Day weekend. I am coming from Canada. Is it a holiday on Monday in Cleveland as it is here in Canada? Are the stores open for business?

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
751 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cleveland Restaurants

Some government offices will be closed for Columbus Day, but all stores will be open. There aren't any statutory holidays in Ohio where stores are required to be closed, and Christmas and Thanksgiving are about the only times a majority of stores do close. I can't foresee any store closing for Columbus Day.

I live in Columbus and I have to work Monday :)

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cleveland Restaurants

I think Monday Oct 8th is Canadian Thanksgiving, while here in the states it is Columbus Day - usually all the stores are open with sales!!

10. Re: Cleveland Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 21:19