We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Clevelend nice for University students?

Europe
9 posts
Save Topic
Is Clevelend nice for University students?

Hey,

If anyone can help me with a choise i have to make.

I have been accepted by Case Weatherhead to do my MBA. Is it nice there for students especially like me who come from Europe (Greece) ? I also have been accepted by Thunderbird in Phoenix. I've talked to people from Arizona and they say that I will like it there as a student. What is your opinion? I am in a great dilemma. Case is a great school..

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Clevelend nice for University students?

Your choice should be more about the school than the city at this point. Both are internationally accredited by the AACSB - website www.aacsb.edu. Of course, I would be partial to Cleveland! Cleveland has a very strong academic community with several top ranked schools or large universities in the area: Kent State, John Carroll, University of Akron, Cleveland State University, also several smaller schools: Ursuline College, Baldwin Wallace, Lake Erie College, Notre Dame College, etc. The city is small enough to navigate around. Costs for living are probably lower than Phoenix if that is a consideration. Cleveland has the four seasons: spring, summer, fall and winter, which I really love. The snow can be a pain, but you are close to NY or PA if you want to go skiing!!!!

Phoenix has as strong retirement community as alot of Americans have retired there! The weather is nicer and warmer. Good luck!!!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Clevelend nice for University students?

I agree with London Lady, look at the quality of the school first. Case is a great school and, depending on your interests outside of school, it is set in University Circle which is a diverse area or Art, Culture, Music, and food.

If weather is a consideration Phoenix is beautiful in the winter and 110 degrees in the summer. Cleveland has more diverse seasons if you can handle about 3 months of snow. I personally would take Cleveland but I really don't like that kind of heat.

I love it here. People are friendly and the town is easy to get around. Phoenix can be a traffic nightmare, not so here.

Let us know some of your interests outside of school and we can direct you to some local resources.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Clevelend nice for University students?

Depends on where in Greece you are from but our winters can take some getting used to, though they would be a fun, different experience for you.

Case is an excellent school and they have a higher than typical quota of students from other countries compared to many state schools in the area, so I think you would feel comfortable in that sense.

The case MBA program is very well respected and I think it would be worth your time to at least spend a year here. You can always transfer if you hate it. Cleveland has a lot to offer but it's a different type of city than Phoenix, which has a lot more people and a heavy tourism industry. Our town is more internally focused and offers a lot of great things to do for residents.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Clevelend nice for University students?

I lived in Phoenix for 8 years and was happy to get back to the great lakes. Phoenix has 2 seasons, Hot and Hotter as does Cleveland, Winter and road construction. They actually wash. In the winter here we will start our cars to let them warm up and the snow and ice to melt. In Phoenix you start your car with the air conditioning on, so you can get in it. It is not unusual to see people standing outside there cars in 115f degree heat as the car cools. You do eventually get used to it. We went camping many times when it was 100+. Flagstaff and the mountains are great. Snow sking is very good up in the mountains. My issue was the air polution and alergies. Something different blooms every month. Tempature inversions trap the Ozone and it creates bad smog. Many days of air alerts. As everyone else has said. Pick the best school. It is your future.

Europe
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Clevelend nice for University students?

thnx all of you, you are very helpful.

I 'd like to know if you can easily get a plane to travel to other U.S. cities or even to China, Beijing.

About my interests. I LOVE playing european football (soccer). Does Cleveland have soccer fields indoor or outdoor (prefer outdoor) where I can play or even a team just to watch? I know that there aren't many games on T.V . I also like bikes and I can't get one in Cleveland. I would probaply need spike-tires :)

For night entertainment I love live music, mostly classic rock and blues or bars playing this kind of music.

Will i need a car there? I like to feel independent, to leave some place whenever I feel like it. Does Cleveland have good public communication transport.

Sorry for my english guys. I hope they will get better when I get there.

Which are the best places to live outside of Case. Graduate students must live of campus.

Thanx again.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Clevelend nice for University students?

There are many places to play soccer in Cleveland. An international group plays on the community field in Cleveland Heights. There is an indoor soccer place called the multiplex, I don't know how it is used other than the local childrens clubs. (I think there are probably adult games there) By bike if you mean bicycle, you can ride for 1/2 to 3/4 of the year.

Unfortunately Cleveland does not have very good public transportation, but it is feasible. Case will help you find a place on one of the good bus routes. Many students and medical residents live in Cleveland Hts, Little Italy, Shaker Square and the Fairhill areas. Some students will walk to Case in all but the coldest weather.

I knew a graduate student in Engineering from Greece. The climate took some getting used to but once he did he enjoyed living in Cleveland. I loved going to parties with the international group of friends. They always got together to watch the World Cup. I have a Spanish friend who goes to an Irish Pub in Cleveland Hts to watch the world cup. They open extra early to see the games as they are played. (ie 6 am)

I think you would love Cleveland, but if you can not tolerate snow and cold weather for 3-5 months, you might be better off in Phoenix.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Clevelend nice for University students?

Sorry, forgot the airport and music scene. Cleveland has a great music scene. (There is a reason that the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is here!)

Cleveland Hopkins is an international airport. Currently you can get a direct flight to Paris and London at least part of the year. You would take a connecting flight to other international destinations. There are many options.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Clevelend nice for University students?

Cleveland is an ethnic town where people are proud of their heritages and celebrate them. We have a large Greek community and there are a number of Greek festivals that happen every summer. There are also a lot of Greek restaurants.

Flying out of Cleveland is easy as we are a Continental Airways hub so there are a lot of direct flights around the USA.

We have a growing soccer community and a number of teams and leagues Look at http://www.northcoastsoccer.com/ for more information.

As far as biking the buses have bike racks on the front so you can take your bike on public transportation. There are alot of bike trails including the Ohio towpath the goes over 100 miles. Look at http://www.clevelandbikes.org/ for more info and maps.

As far as music, I have a friend that moved here from Boston (a much bigger city) and was amazed at the quality and amount of live music venues in Cleveland. Google the Beachland Ballroom and the Grog Shop for ideas.

Get a car. The farthest you might need to drive in Cleveland is about a half an hour drive but it is hard to get to some of the smaller entertainment areas like Tremont by bus.

As far as where to live if you don't want a long commute to school look in Cleveland Heights. If you don't mind a drive along the lake everyday most people I know in their 20s prefer Lakewood. There are alot of apartments and half houses for rent and a lot of bars and entertainment.

I think I answered everything. Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Clevelend nice for University students?

A car is essential here. Our public transportation system is very good but only if you are going into or out of downtown to/from a suburb during business rush hours. If you are trying to use it for anything else than that it's just a big pain. Depends on where you end up living, it would be very easy to take a bus to and from Case - from Cleveland Heights for example, where there are a lot of Case students.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,295 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Clevelend nice for University students?

The area of Cleveland around Case, and the surrounding suburbs, is a wonderful place for university students.

We lived there for 3 years while my wife was a medical resident (newly graduated physician).

We loved it there. We lived in the suburb of Cleveland Heights, which borders Cleveland right at Case (Case is right at the border with Cleveland Heights).

Other towns where our friends lived were Shaker Heights, University Heights, and 2 neighborhoods within Cleveland itself, Shaker Square and Little Italy.

I very strongly recommend buying a car. Living there without one would have been very very difficulty, in my opinion.

We really really loved our time in Cleveland.

But I also strongly recommend that you choose based on the university program and not the location. That's what my wife did. We also were strongly considering Phoenix; we loved it when she interviewed there.

But to help her for the rest of her life, we decided that, for her pediatrics training, she was MUCH MUCH better off at the children's hospital at Case than the children's hospital at Arizona State.

You will have your career your entire life. You will go through your education for only a few short years. Choose based on your long-term future rather than your short-term future.