We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day at the Zoo

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
499 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
Day at the Zoo

We are planning a day trip to the Cleveland Zoo. We'd be traveling the Ohio Turnpike to I-480. We may come out on a Friday and I know the zoo closes at 5, right during rush hour. We were thinking about stopping somewhere for a nice dinner afterward (and also to avoid rush hour traffic). Can anyone tell me: 1. Haven't been to the Cleve Zoo for years and wanted to know how it is these days. I hear good things about the rainforest. 2. Any good places to eat in that area? Someone suggested the Winking Lizard in Independence because we could get there without using the interstate? Thanks to all!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day at the Zoo

The Zoo is remarkable. We have the Rainforest, the Australian adventure, and the Wolf Lodge, too. If you wanted to, you could head north on West 25th Street and perhaps eat at Shooters on the Water which is on the west side of the Flats. Be advised that it is very busy on Friday and Saturdays, but it would be fun to sit on the water and watch the boats, etc.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day at the Zoo

I agree with LL that the zoo is fantastic and so is the rainforest, definitely worth a visit. However I can't agree with her recommendation for Shooters. This is largely only a place where people come to have some drinks, the food is really not very good and the atmosphere IMO would not be very nice for a family; the view is about the only reason this place stays open, I think.

The zoo is not really super close to any great restaurants that I know of, but it is only a few minutes' drive to downtown and there are a lot of good choices there. Our rush hour is a pussycat compared to most cities, particularly if you are coming IN to downtown instead of FROM it.

You might try Rock Bottom Brewery, which is in the same area as Shooters but much better food and atmosphere, and the same easily accessible parking area (usually you pay a nomimal fee from $1-3 to park by the Powerhouse, where Rock Bottom is located); parking in downtown proper can stink around that time of day. It is on the W bank of the flats.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
499 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day at the Zoo

Thank you both for your suggestions! Looking forward to our visit!!

4. Re: Day at the Zoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 17:18