We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Tasting Weekend

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wine Tasting Weekend

Hello! I am trying to plan a ladies weekend to go wine tasting in the Geneva area. I am originally from Cleveland but moved away about 10 years ago. Can anyone give me some pointers on where to stay that is closest to the vineyards. I have looked that the Inn at Geneva on the Lake, but was hoping for perhaps something more affordable. Also, has anyone ever used a car service there for transporation so that we don't have to worrk about driving after drinking?

Ashtabula, Ohio
Level Contributor
151 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Tasting Weekend

I live in this area and am a fan of our wineries so hopefully I can answer your questions. You did not say exactly when you would be coming this way. The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake is right on the lake. If you will be here after Memorial Day this is great because you can walk on the beach and walk the strip of Geneva-on-the-Lake where two wineries are located. One is the Lakehouse Winery which also has a very nice bed and breakfast. The other within walking distance is the Firehouse Winery. Away from the lake at the intersection of I90 and Rt. 45 are the chain hotels, Hampton, Sleep Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc. It is just a place to sleep as it is near the freeway but this area is close to wineries such as Laurello Winery, Ferrante Winery, Virant Winery, DeBonne Winery, Harpersfield Winery, Grand River Winery, Old Mill Winery and a few others. I hope this gives you some ideas. I am here to answer any other questions.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Tasting Weekend

Thanks for the information!! We are going to be taking the trip the second weekend in July. I don't think we will be spending much time in the hotel, so I am thinking a chain hotel that is less $$ may be my best plan. Do you have any suggestions on who to contact for the transportation around to each vineyard?

Ashtabula, Ohio
Level Contributor
151 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Tasting Weekend

In the phone book there are a couple of local listings

Ohio Wine Tours (440)5764588

Premier Transportation (440)466-1515

Ducro Funeral SErvices has limos that the kids rent for proms, etc. and I have seen them at one of the wineries. (440)992-2191

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine Tasting Weekend

I used the Ohio Wine Tours car service and it was awesome! They pick up at whatever hotel you're staying at. It was a bit pricey, but it was a gift for my husband's birthday so I splurged a little. We've actually talked about doing it again because we had such a great time. They have a "tour" where wine & food is included and then they have a "wine taxi" where you pay by the hour. We did the tour. Their Web site is: www.ohiovinetours.com. You can just email them and they'll try to suit your needs. Very friendly. They took us to wineries that fit our taste too. The wineries are pretty spread out so I would suggest trying to get a car service and split it amongst the group. Wine tours are so fun and you won't want anyone to have to worry about driving. You'll be happy you did! We stayed at the Inn at Geneva on the Lake so I can't help with other hotel suggestions.

CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
770 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine Tasting Weekend

We did this last year and stayed at Quail Hollow. It was a very nice hotel. Have you considered one of the bed and breakfasts closer to Geneva?

Brecksville, Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine Tasting Weekend

I haven't done a wine trip up that way per se, but I did want to share that on the Lodge at Geneva on the Lake, they are always having specials. The best way to know about them is to subscribe to their email mailing list. I've had no trouble getting under $100 a night there - just a room, no package (they have a lot of packages that include things) - when I've needed one by going through the specials. I have not tried this year yet but this was true in the past.

oh
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine Tasting Weekend

ohhh. good idea!

NE Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine Tasting Weekend

Try Hampton Inn, Sleep Inn, Holiday Inn or Comfort Inn all in Austinburg,Ohio at I-90.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine Tasting Weekend

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions. I have booked the Hampton Inn for under $100 a night! I am a Hilton Gold member too, so they gave us free upgrades :)

I am still working on the limo, but am going to try all the places suggested.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine Tasting Weekend

Call American/Carey limo service. (216) 267-8222