We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun before a Brown's game

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
78 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Fun before a Brown's game

First timers going to a game. Can you tell us what it's like? Is there tailgaiting, early entrance, music, beverages for sale, fun to be had or is that not allowed around the stadium?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun before a Brown's game

I was waiting for someone else to responde, because I haven't been to that many Brown's games!! I do know that the Cleveland Chop House & Brewery off W. 6th Street and St. Clair has a brunch before the games, also tailgating is done in the Municipal parking lots to the east of the stadium and starts fairly early!!! Brown's games are really fun and the stadium is usually always full.

Not sure about early entrance unless you have club seats, etc.. for the brunch food.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
78 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun before a Brown's game

Thanks! Are there ever any Cheeseheads at a Brown game? Do they sell good food and bevs inside the stadium? Any info anyone can share would be much appreciated - thanks!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
80 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun before a Brown's game

There is plenty of tailgating both in the traditional sense and in bars. The two best parking lots for tailgating are the Cleveland Municipal lot (the so-called "Muni Lot" that is located on the West Shoreway and the so-called "Pit", which is a long parking lot located to the southwest of the stadium off of West Third Street. To get to the Muni lot, walk north up E. 9th St. toward the Rock N' Roll Hall of fame. Immediately before you get to the bridge over the freeway ( that we call the "Shoreway and that many of us wish they would get just rid of since it separates us from the lake), the Muni lot is on your right. To go to the "Pit", you walk north up West 3d Street and when you get to the freeway overpass, there will be a steep road jutting off diagonally to the left and down--to the PIT. You will see some Browms' fans party mobiles-- old RV's and school buses parked under an overpass just to the left of the hill under. Walk down the hill into the party--warning--it can get crazy in the Pit. As long as you behave, the authorities appear to cut slack so that true tailgating can occur--if you know what I mean--which you should know if you are a Cheesehead. There are some folks who get out of hand but it is for the most part a nice social experience.

You will find our fans pretty hospitable ( since you are not from Pittsburgh and your team plays outside, in the cold, on natural grass--like us). If you are driving, you can naturally take your car down into these lots and park--9:00 AM would not be seen as too early to arrive and set up.

If you prefer the pre-game bar scene and want music, go to the Happy Dog on West 6th Street and climb all of the way up to their rooftop deck. They should have a band and quite a crowd. The bar caters to the younger crowd during the week but the pre-game crowd is more diverse. You will see a wide variey of bars on West 6th-all of them will be packed before the game. You could bar hop for hours.

I agree that the Chophouse is a good place for pre-game brunch especially if your desire a more gentil atmosphere prior to the game. Also, the Water Street Grill one block West and North has a decent low cost sit-down brunch.

Inside the stadium on the north end, there is a big bar area where they broadcast a radio pregame show. It is not bad and they have a decent beer selection in that bar. There is also a bar on the south end of the stadium and in the "Dog Pound" end. If you are in the Club seats, there are two fairly nice bars as well as buffet and traditional style dining.

You will have a lot of fun. We just gave up our seasons tickets after many years so that we could travel more. We will miss football Sundays in Cleveland because they are really fun even when the Browns are no good--which has been frequent recently.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
78 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun before a Brown's game

Thanks for your great input!! Really appreciate it. We are 3 Packer fans (but will totally be Browns fans this time) who just happen to be in Cleveland for Oct. 25th weekend and we got 3 tickets - way up high. Really looking forward to the experience. Thanks again.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
80 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun before a Brown's game

Whoops, I meant "Velvet Dog" not "Happy Dog" --there is a Happy Dog but it is not on W. 6th St. The Velvet Dog has the rooftop deck.

Mentioned in this post
The Velvet Dog
The Velvet Dog
4 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun before a Brown's game

Muni lot is where it's at... let's put it this way.. if you were to get there at 5 am for a 1pm kick, you would be arriving fashionably late. And that's with the miserable teams we've had=)

I would just bring supplies and tailgate there for as long as you want. Walking around the lot, it's got more entertainment options then most bars.

I don't really like any of the downtown bars for watching the games. Better off getting on the highway for a few minutes and getting into Lakewood or what not.

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Fun before a Brown's game

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2009, 05:18