We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Break in Cleveland...with teens

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
143 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Fall Break in Cleveland...with teens

Teenage daughters love Demetri Martin. He's playing in Lakewood over their Fall Break. So we're headed from Tennessee to Cleveland October 14 to Oct 17 'cause it just seemed like a fun and out-of-the-ordinary trip to take.

Never been there, but now that I've poked around a bit, I'm seeing there's a lot more to Cleveland than us southern folks ever knew.

We're definitely going to visit the R&R Hall of Fame, any other suggestions for teenagers?

We have passports, and have never been to Canada. Is that a do-able trip from Cleveland if we're just there a few days? Is Niagra Falls possible in a day? Easiest way to get there?

Will Cleveland be cold in October?

About all I know of Cleveland is that "Cleveland Rocks!" according to Drew Cary. But from the little I've read recently, Drew is right. Can't wait 'til we get there.

Thanks for sharing your city with us!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Break in Cleveland...with teens

Niagara Falls is 3 hours away - I would definitely make the trip especially if the fall weather is nice - I was there last October and it was beautiful. You could do it in a day, but perhaps a stay-over would be better. The weather is iffy sometimes - last year we had a beautiful fall with the leaves changing and bright sunny days, cool and crisp. We have had snow in October!!

With teen girls, you may want to head west to Westlake and Crocker Park - a large shopping area. A visit to some of our neighborhoods, like Little Italy (about 10 minutes east of downtown) and Tremont (just west of immediate downtown) and a visit to their shops and boutiques may be fun.

www.littleitalycleveland.com

www.restoretremont.com

www.pluggedincleveland.com

www.coolcleveland.com

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
143 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Break in Cleveland...with teens

Thanks LondonLady!

My oldest just informed me she can't miss classes, so our trip has been shortened by a day. We won't be able to visit Canada :(

But we are looking forward to Demetri and the R&RHOF!

I read something about Waterloo Art District? having some neat shopping outside of the "Mall box".

We love to visit eclectic little shops, but a couple of times we've ended up in some not-so-safe downtown neighborhoods. Is the Waterloo area a safe place?

Should we stay at the Crowne Plaza Centre or the Holiday Inn Express in the historic building? My pro's and cons: Price is pretty much the same, but the HI has queen beds, and the Crowne just has full size. HI holds a chance we could get a free upgrade to a two-room suite, but Crowne is closer to the HOF.

Will we find any street entertainment downtown, or is it more business-like?

Thanks again for all your help.

Rocky River, Ohio
Level Contributor
196 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Break in Cleveland...with teens

If you like artsy shops, etc., you may want to check out the Tremont area (www.restoretremont.com). They have some very cool little shops, lots of small restaurants/cafes and the area is great to walk around (go during the day). If you've ever seen the movie "the Christmas Story" you'll find the house in that area. It may be open for tours when you come. Honestly, I had never even heard of the Waterloo Arts District ... I think you'd be better off in Tremont. There are also some other places you might want to check out ... Amish country, Geneva on the Lake ... they're both about an hour away, but would make for a nice day trip. If you like amusement parksd, you might want to check out Cedar Point.

rochester,ny
Level Contributor
199 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Break in Cleveland...with teens

Just got back from a weekend in Cleveland with my two boys 13 and 14. We did the R&RHOF and the Cleveland Metropark Zoo. We all loved the Zoo just as much as we loved the HOF. We especially loved the Rainforest building at the zoo. It is indoors, so even if the weather is bad, it won't be a problem. I also think you can buy tickets just for the Rainforest and skip the outside part of the zoo if you want. The coolest part was the outside part was a walkway up through the trees to get you up to the primate area. The area itself was disappointing, since the primate exhibit in the Rainforest is much better. But we enjoyed the walk up there.

I think my kids liked eating at Fat Fish Blue in the downtown area the best. It was reasonably priced also. They have live music on some days, you can check their website for when they do. The area around this restaurant was also interesting to walk around. If you head east on Prospect Ave. you come to an area of restaurant/bars and an area where a side street has been closed off to make a pedestrian arcade.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall Break in Cleveland...with teens

Science Center (fun for all ages), A Christmas Story House and the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. Don't miss University Circle where you'll find the Cleveland Museum of Art (free admission), the Cleveland Botanical Gardens, the Natural History Museum and Severance Hall (home of the Cleveland Orchestra) all within a square-mile. You can easily walk to all of these places once you arrive in University Circle ,which is about 15 minutes from downtown.

Bowling downtown at Cornery Alley is fun and if you haven't already chosen restaurants try Melt in Lakewood (expect a wait, but it's worth it), House of Blues (downtown) and/or Prosperity Social Club (Tremont).

It's chilly in October, but the changing leaves are beautiful and there is plenty of fall fun. Check out the metroparks for sight-seeing, Ghostly Manor Thrill Center (year-round haunted house about 45 minutes west) and HalloWeekends at Cedar Point.

Cleveland, Ohio
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall Break in Cleveland...with teens

Definitely check out around University Circle (http://www.universitycircle.org/), and a great spot for teenagers with funky shops, coffee houses, restaurants, etc. is Coventry Village in Cleve Heights - http://coventryvillage.org/shops.html

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
143 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall Break in Cleveland...with teens

Thanks everyone for all your input! We're leaving tonight. we'll be there tomorrow. I hear it's going to be wet and cold there this weekend. At least colder than Tennessee :) I hope the trolley is handy.

Decided on the Crowne Plaza City Centre, House of Blues Thursday for dinner, shopping and Demitri concert Friday, and Hall of Fame Saturday.

I'll report back on the trip.

Thanks again.

Cleveland or bust!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall Break in Cleveland...with teens

Drive safe and have fun!

9. Re: Fall Break in Cleveland...with teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2010, 07:16