We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets for Cleveland Indian

Bridgnorth, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Tickets for Cleveland Indian

We are travelling from the UK next month and will be visiting Cleveland for the day to see the Science Park.

In the evening we would really like to see a baseball game at Progressive Park. Can we buy tickets on the day of the game?

The reason for this is that the weather might not be that good or we may be too tired after seeing the Science Park all day. Thanks.

Edited: 30 July 2010, 08:07
Cleveland, OH
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
488 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets for Cleveland Indian

There should be no problem purchasing baseball tickets at Progressive Field the day of the game. There have been very few sell-outs this season. I assume you have checked the schedule for August, but here it is for your reference:

cleveland.indians.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp…

Also, are you referring to the Great Lakes Science Center?

http://www.glsc.org/

Bridgnorth, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets for Cleveland Indian

Thanks pjsparma

They are playing against Chicago White socks on 30 August which is when we are in Cleveland. So I suppose we just make our way over to the baseball park and find their ticket office.

Yes it is the Great Lakes Science Center. This is now home to the NASA Glenn Space exhibition which is something we would really like to see.

Cleveland, OH
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
488 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets for Cleveland Indian

Don't miss the ore carrier, William G. Mather, moored next to and part of the the Great Lakes Science Center. It is truly part of Cleveland's history.

http://www.greatscience.com/mather_museum.php

Also, the USS Cod, a WWII submarine, is docked around the corner and also worth a visit, if you are interested in that sort of thing.

http://www.usscod.org/

Enjoy your visit.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets for Cleveland Indian

Other special attractions in Cleveland include the art museum, one of the best in the U.S., Cleveland Botanical Garden, Holden Arboretum and the Kirtland Temple (the first Mormon temple and the only one open to the public) in Kirtland, 40 minutes east of downtown, The Arcade, the Soldiers and Sailor Monument at Public Square, and Blossom Music Center in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, where the Cleveland Orchestra, one of the best in the world, performs in the summer as part of the Blossom Music Festival. And, of course, one hour west of downtown, is Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world.

Just north of the Rock Hall, which is located next to the science center, you can find the dock of the 1,000-seat Goodtime III, which offers a very reasonably priced Lake Erie and Cuyahoga River tour.

If you do visit Cedar Point, consider taking the ferry to Put 'n Bay to see the Perry Victory and Peace Memorial, one of the tallest and largest monuments in the U.S. As a visitor from the U.K., it may especially interest you. Have you ever heard of the War of 1812 or the Battle of Lake Erie, likely only footnotes in British history, but very significant to Ohioans?

Bridgnorth, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets for Cleveland Indian

We are planning to take the Jet Express to Kelleys Island. Would you say Put-in-bay is more interesting?

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tickets for Cleveland Indian

Put-in-Bay often labels itself the "Key West of the North Coast" and it can be a very hopping place. It's more developed and has the Perry Victory and International Peace Memorial, which is a great attraction when the observation deck is open, which it currently is NOT.

Kelleys Island is more laid-back and less developed. CNN ranked the beach at Kelleys Island as one of America's 10 most healthiest and also ranked the island as one of America's 10 best romantic island getaways.

This article describes the differences very well IMO:

<<While you need to make an effort to flee the party on South Bass, on Kelleys you need to make an effort to find it.>>

…chicagotribune.com/2009-08-30/travel/090827…

However, the islands are so close together, and are linked with ferries, I don't think visiting both of them is mutually exclusive. Kids certainly can have fun at Put-in-Bay during the day.

Have fun!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tickets for Cleveland Indian

http://lake-erie.com/visitors/do/islands/

http://lake-erie.com/

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tickets for Cleveland Indian

BTW, one of the biggest events in Cleveland is the Cleveland National Air Show. Cleveland, perhaps due to the influence of the Wright Brothers in Dayton, was one of the pioneers in aviation and hosted one of the most famous early air shows in the world.

The current Cleveland National Air Show is excellent and benefits from its location along the lake, which allows for some maneuvers/vistas not common at many air shows. If you go, pay extra to get bleacher seats, and bring lots of water (if they still allow individuals to bring in water; everything has changed since 9/11).

I noticed that you currently planning on visiting Cleveland on Aug. 30, a few days before the air show.

http://www.clevelandairshow.com/

Also, regarding buying tickets to an American baseball game at Progressive Field, here are some tips.

Progressive Field has some very lousy seats IMO, especially the far right field seats. The slope in the lower stands also limits the ability of kids/very short adults to see the action. Also, line drives into the stands can be very dangerous if you sit close to the field. Although the odds of anything happening are low, most experienced American baseball watchers sitting close to the field always attempt to follow the action so that they can duck, if necessary.

If you have kids, even pre-teens, definitely attempt to get upper deck seats, preferably between first base and third base. Rows closer to the field are fine. The slope is much steeper in the upper decks, providing a much better viewing experience for shorter individuals, as I've learned the hard way in the past when taking kids to a game. Also, the views from the upper deck are much better IMO; e.g., providing a much better appreciation of the beauty of the playing field. The negative is that upper deck seats are further from the action, which may not matter much to those not that familiar with the intricacies of the game.

If you get lousy seats, don't worry too much. You can walk around the stadium and entertain yourself fairly easily and even stop and get better views of the action.

If you've never been to a ball game, during the 7th inning "stretch," fans sing the chorus to "Take Me Out to the Ball Game." Here's the history and lyrics.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Me_Out_to_the_Ball_…

BTW, check what you can bring with you into Progressive Field. They check bags when entering, but many visitors sneak in bags of peanuts in their pockets. It's best to buy them at a grocery store and transfer them to small plastic bags. They're much cheaper than buying them in the stadium, or even on the streets around the stadium.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tickets for Cleveland Indian

Just an FYI, you are allowed to bring your own food into the stadium. A shocker, I know! All these years, I thought I've been "sly" by bringing in my own peanuts... But it's right on their website, they just don't advertise it. They rather would have seen me pay $7 for a 6 inch sub inside the park, versus to $5 footlong I brought in with me and bought 15 minutes prior.

Great American Ballpark in Cinci allows it too. The only stipulation is that it has to be in a small soft sided cooler, and there can be no cans or bottles of pop, and no alcohol. It also has to be a "reasonable personal amount of food." In other words, can't take in a 5 course picnic fit for a king, nor can you bring enough food to share with your entire section. Took the kids to the Indians-Rays game a few weekends ago, and I packed juice boxes and subs from Subway. Security looked through my bags and said nothing.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tickets for Cleveland Indian

"There have been very few sell-outs this season."

------------------

I'm pretty sure there haven't been any sellouts this year. I seriously doubt there will be any either.