We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cleveland in a day

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Cleveland in a day

Hi there.

Myself and my partner have decided to do a mini road trip around Lake Erie and stopping off in Cleveland. We have already booked in the Cav's game against the Clippers on the Friday night, but will be arriving at around noon. Coming from England im intersted in basically just walking round and admireing the views!! Neither of us are into art etc.

As we are trying to keep the costs down I have been looking at staying at a Super 8 motel in Westlake. Where would be a good place to park up for the day (well until poss around 11pm). Are there any other cheap motels closer to downtown?

After the cavs game we'd probably just go for something to eat & maybe a few beers should we be close by enough to take a cab.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Erie
Erie
Pennsylvania
Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
235 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cleveland in a day

How much are you looking to spend on a hotel? You could stay outside of the city, but you will pay just to take the taxi anywhere. You would be better off staying in the city.

We went this summer and just walked around, not much to see. We went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Well worth it, we could have spent 4 hours there.

Mentioned in this post
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
7,717 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cleveland in a day

As you are coming on a weekend in January, and as the Cavs are hardly a draw this year, you may find a cheap rate (less than $100 plus $20 for parking) at downtown hotels. Reasonably priced hotels near Quicken Loans Arena include the Holiday Inn Express, Radison Gateway, and Residence Inn. The Hyatt at The Arcade is an exceptionally unique hotel located within one of the nation's architectural gems, but it's Euclid Ave. exit closes in the early evening making it less convenient, but still close to the Q. The Wyndham at Playhouse Square offers a reportedly excellent downtown shuttle. It also has a station on the 24/7 Healthline bus rapid which provides easy access to the Q through East 4th St. The Doubletree has an attached parking garage and also a downtown shuttle, but is a long walk from the Quicken and the East 4th St. and Warehouse District entertainment/dining districts.

clevelandskyscrapers.com/cleveland/arcade.ht…

If you want free parking, and a definitely low rate without a lot of research, consider the LaQuinta Airport. It's across the street from a RTA rail "rapid" station (Puritas) that would take you downtown to Tower City in a few minutes. Tower City has a walkway to the Q. RTA day passes cost $5. It is much more convenient than Westlake and probably as cheap if not cheaper when downtown parking near the Q is entered into the equation.

http://www.riderta.com/schedules/rt66sa.html

Visit the West Side Market (West 25th St. red line rail rapid station; between the Puritas and Tower City stations) on Friday or Saturday for a cheap meal and a great experience (Maha's stand offers the city's best falafel).

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20…

Also consider taking the rail rapid from Tower City to Shaker Square to check out that historic location. The Balaton there is Cleveland's best Hungarian restaurant and very charming.

www.shakersquare.net/directory-rest.htm

If you do stay at the Super 8, a relatively long drive from downtown, park at Tower City.

http://www.networkparking.net/tower/hours.asp

While downtown, definitely visit The Arcade and the Soldiers and Sailors Monument in Public Square. Both are free. You also might want to check out the Palace theater lobby at Playhouse Square, the largest theater complex in the U.S. after Lincoln Center in New York City. There also may be tours of Playhouse Square and of Severance Hall, one of the world's great concert halls, on Saturday. Although you don't like art, admission to the Cleveland Museum of Art, one of the nation's best, is free and you might be surprised how much will interest you.

Enjoy Cleveland, but do not expect a great NBA game!

Mentioned in this post
West Side Market
West Side Market
3,750 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland Museum of Art
Cleveland Museum of Art
2,796 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
USA
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cleveland in a day

TranscendentalEye is always so detailed and comprehensive it's often hard to add anything to her advice (this is a compliment). I personally find Cleveland to be good for small neighborhoods. The Warehouse district, the area around the West Side Market (Ohio City) and the ShakerSq area have already been mentioned. Tremont which on the west side of the Cuyahoga south of Ohio City is good for a stroll as are Coventry and Waterloo on the east side of town. I haven't been there but I understand there is an emerging arts district (maybe not your cup of tea) called Gordon Sq in the western suburb of Lakewood and for a quaint 19th centry-ish feel there's Chagrin Falls, an eastern ex-urb.

Mentioned in this post
West Side Market
West Side Market
3,750 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Waterloo
Waterloo
Region of Waterloo, Canada
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cleveland in a day

thanks for the great replies. its food for thought & i'll look into what you have advised. thanks again & any more questions im sure you'l be able to answer them for me.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cleveland in a day

TranscendentalEye just a quick on regarding hotels near the airport. There seem to be 2 ran by the LaQunita hotel chain. I am considering this one

'La Quinta Inn & Suites Cleveland Airport West' but is this one located near the train station?

I notice that the trains run up until 1am are they safe at this time?

Mentioned in this post
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cleveland in a day

The LaQuinta across from a rapid station is this one, not the Inn & Suites, as described in the hotel's website:

www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do…

Check the TA reviews of this hotel.

As for safety in any urban area, including any suburb near a freeway, there obviously are different degrees of safety. I wouldn't vouch for the complete safety of anyone walking around any downtown area anywhere in the U.S. in early morning hours, especially if there aren't many persons around. I would note that RTA doesn't run its rail services as late at stations that I would consider located in more dangerous neighborhoods. As you have free parking at the LaQuinta and the rapid station, nothing would prevent you driving the very short distance from the LaQuinta Hotel to the rapid station, minimizing the length of your walk in the early morning hours.

As this rapid station is located almost immediately off the West 150th exit of I-90, nothing would prevent you staying at the other LaQuinta in North Olmsted or some other hotel and driving to the rapid station from that hotel.

Cleveland RTA has their own transit police. If you're concerned, I suggest you call and talk to them. Personally, I've never heard of any security issues at Tower City or the western rapid stations, let alone on the western trains, but I certainly could be ignorant on that issue.

Tower City also has its own security force and it always seems present when I'm there, which never has been in the early morning.

Thinking about it, another option would be to stay at the Cleveland Airport Sheraton, located on the airport property and using the airport rapid station. I think the Sheraton offers a 24/7 shuttle to and from the main terminal where the airport rapid station is located. You might get a good rate at the Sheraton on a weekend.

Whether or not the walk to the downtown rapid station at Tower City would be greater than the walk to a hotel downtown would depend on where you were walking from. If you were at a club in the Warehouse District, Tower City would be closer than the hotels nearer Progressive Field which I mentioned earlier. If you stuck to the bars on East 4th St., the hotels would be closer.

Another concern in any downtown if you drive there is walking to a parking garage late at night, and then walking into the garage. I would think RTA security is more robust than the security in some garage areas, but I could be wrong.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
The Cleveland Hostel
The Cleveland Hostel
103 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Progressive Field
Progressive Field
1,984 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cleveland in a day

I meant to say Quicken Loans Arena, not Progressive Field, even though they are adjacent to each other.

Mentioned in this post
Progressive Field
Progressive Field
1,984 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cleveland in a day

The walk from East 4th St. to the Tower City rail rapid station would be 5-10 minutes, with a couple minutes of the walk inside Tower City.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cleveland in a day

The Hard Rock Cafe is attached to Tower City. If you went there after the game, you wouldn't have to walk outside when the pedestrian traffic is less. Bar-hopping on East 4th St. might be more fun, but you could check that out before the game.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cleveland in a day

Further thinking about it, probably all of the airport area hotels, including both of the LaQuintas, would shuttle you to and from the airport terminal if wanted the added security of using the airport rail rapid station, especially late at night or in the early morning hours.