We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Music venues on short notice

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Music venues on short notice

I'm coming to Cleveland for the first time in about 13 years this weekend and I'm looking for a good spot to catch some live music. Due to our schedule and a little uncertainty as to whether we'd be able to travel this week, I couldn't order House of Blues tickets soon enough to get actual seats, and unfortunately the Cleveland Orchestra is in Miami. Is there a good place I can go to catch some live rock, jazz, country or classical that won't be 1) standing-room only, 2) some kind of DJ/techno dance club and 3) scream rock?

We arrive on Friday afternoon/evening and are staying in downtown Cleveland, but are willing to drive. We have an afternoon planned at the Rock Hall on Saturday, but our schedule is pretty open. I'd also appreciate the name of a site or local publication that lists music events in the area.

Thanks

e_c

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
738 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Music venues on short notice

http://www.clevescene.com/ is probably your best bet for local music listings.

Wilbert's (downtown by the ballpark) usually has live Jazz on the weekends. Several Warehouse District and Lakewood (about 10 min west, on Detroit Ave) bars also have live music - but the crowd tends to skew younger.

If you want a seat almost anywhere, just make sure you arrive early. Even the HOB has several tables that are first come first serve - but you better be one of the first in line when the doors open to get one.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Music venues on short notice

Thanks for the tip on Wilbert's. I just checked their web site and it seems cool. How's the food? I'm thinking of setting up a dinner reservation for Saturday night.

USA
Level Contributor
124 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Music venues on short notice

another thought is Brothers Lounge for a more sit down dinner and music scene

http://brotherslounge.com/

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Music venues on short notice

That looks like a good option also. Any other recommendations for things to do on the west end of town?

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Music venues on short notice

cleveland.com/events/…page-2

www.positivelycleveland.com/play/events/…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s402/Cleveland…

If you like cocktails, the Velvet Tango Room in Tremont near downtown is considered one of the best cocktail bars in the U.S. Its cocktails are expensive, about $15, but there is no cover charge.

http://velvettangoroom.com/

Nighttown generally is considered to have the best combination of food and jazz in Cleveland.

http://www.nighttowncleveland.com/music.htm

The resurrected Club Isabella also typically offers .

The Cleveland Orchestra is in Miami, but if you want to see Severance Hall, the Cleveland Pops Orchestra will perform there on Saturday evening.

clevelandorchestra.com/event-detail/…

Also in University Circle, you could attend a performance at the acclaimed Cleveland Institute of Music on Saturday evening.

www.cim.edu/calendar/main.php…

The Irish Rovers will perform at the Ohio Theatre in Playhouse Square on Friday evening. If you like classical rock 'n roll, the national tour of "Memphis" begins a two-week run at the Palace Theatre in Playhouse Square beginning Friday.

www.playhousesquare.org/default.asp…

http://www.cleveland.com/music/

You also could attend a concert at the famed Oberlin Conservatory of Music.

new.oberlin.edu/calendar/…

Enjoy your weekend in Cleveland!

new.oberlin.edu/calendar/index.dot?id=3118261

Edited: 29 February 2012, 05:31
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Music venues on short notice

Club Isabella typically offers jazz on Saturday nights.

The Happy Dog on the west side is popular. Unfortunately, this Friday is not its Polka Happy Hour.

http://www.happydogcleveland.com/music.php

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Music venues on short notice

The Savannah Bar & Grill in Westlake often has very good location bands. Westlake is about 25 minutes west of downtown. I also recommend the Parkview Lounge which is only about 5 mins from downtown, they regularly have good bands as well.

I wouldn't bother eating at Wilbert's, JMO. There are so many other better choices of places to eat downtown. Try Noodlecat, Pura Vida or Saigon as mid-priced places.

The Happy Dog bar in Gordon Square (where the Parkview is) is a great place to have a drink, and a hot dog if you are so inclined - they have something like 100 different toppings available. Cleveland Public Theater in the same neighborhood puts on great, professional theater for very reasonable cost. The show Antebellum is playing there this weekend and it's supposed to be very good.

cptonline.org/cleveland-public-theater-perfo…

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Music venues on short notice

I will definitely be digging into this more tonight. Since we only have a couple of days, I'm trying to keep it simple by not having to travel between too many different locations (that was the main reason for considering eating at Wilbert's). There seem to be a few good options.

Foodwise, we plan to hit the West Side Market and are strongly considering a stop in Little Italy on the way into town on Friday (can't help it, I'm drawn to pasta and cannoli like a moth to a light bulb). Now, it's just a matter of planning out Saturday. Thanks again for all the info.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Music venues on short notice

Playhouse Square is very accessible to downtown, especially for hotels on or near the Euclid Ave. corridor. The 24/7 RTA Healthline has stations in Public Square and along Euclid Ave., including in front of Playhouse Square. Cab fares also are very cheap in downtown Cleveland.

If you attend an event at Playhouse Square and decide to drive, park in the Hanna Garage on Prospect Ave. On the first floor of the garage in the back, there is an open door to a surface parking lot that puts you right across from the Palace. It's a safe and well-used parking alternative, and a very short walk to Playhouse Square.

Here is a review and an article on "Memphis."

cleveland.com/arts/index.ssf/2012/02/memphis…

Note that Memphis is an original score, so don't expect any classic songs.

cleveland.com/onstage/index.ssf/2012/02/memp…

If you go to Little Italy on a Friday night, parking will be at a premium. You'll likely have to use valet parking. Definitely, try to visit Presti's for pastries.

cleveland.com/top-restaurants/…index.html

cleveland.com/top-restaurants/index.ssf/2011…

If you want to avoid the hassle, but admitted charm of Little Italy, consider Bruno's Ristorante on the west side.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g50207-d48…

Hope you get a chance to post a trip report, letting us know what you did, and what you liked and didn't like!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Music venues on short notice

If you're looking for a place to dine in Playhouse Square, consider Zach Bruell's new Cowell & Hubbard.

cleveland.com/dining/index.ssf/2012/02/zack_…

Bruell is the restaurant impresario behind TA favorites L'Albatros and Chinato.