We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for our trip

Which Cleveland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
179 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for our trip

We will be driving to Cleveland from New England. We arrive on a Friday evening in June and plan on staying 4 nights. We were planning on using Cleveland as our hub with visits to the Football Hall of Fame,the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and Cedar Point Park. Do we need any more than one day at any of these attracttions? Also downtown Cleveland looks interesting and we would like to explore that area too. We were hoping the Red Sox would be in town,but no luck and I believe the Indians are away too. We have never been to or seen any of the Great Lakes and looking forward to that as well. Also I read there is a large Amish population close by. Wow I think we need a month in Ohio! Really looking forward to our trip and any tips,hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are traveling mid June. Thanks in advance.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for our trip

Consider spending one or two nights in the Sandusky area, or on one of the Lake Erie islands (South Bass, aka Put-in-Bay) or Kelleys (with a small, but charming state beach).

Cedar Point, depending upon crowds and whether bad weather interrupts operations, can take more than one day, and the Lake Erie islands certainly are worth a visit. However, check out Cedar Point's new "Fast Pass." Also, read through recent threads on the Sandusky forum.

Consider stopping at Presque Isle State Park, just west of Erie, PA, to explore that National Natural Landmark. Perhaps take a swim on one of the park's many beaches, although Lake Erie still will be chilly.

At the entrance to the PI state park is Waldameer Park, one of the last trolley amusement parks (no admission charge, pay by the ride), but featuring one of the best wooden coasters in the world.

The most visited part of Ohio Amish country is just southwest of Canton (Pro Football HOF), so I also would consider spending a night in that area rather than spending at least three hours for a roundtrip commute to Cleveland.

Perhaps visit Canton/Ohio Amish country, then head directly to Sandusky using Rte. 250 to cut through the Ohio countryside. Or you could take route 39 to route 60, stopping in Lucas to visit Malabar Farm State Park, a one-time Hollywood escape, in Ohio's Mohican region.

You could stop in Cleveland before or after visting your other destinations. Check TA's Cleveland "Things to do." Certainly also read through the Cleveland forum and travel articles. The Terminal Tower observation deck is open on weekend afternoons.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s1/…Inside.html

E.g., all of the above "day trips" and more are discussed in the following "Day Trips" travel article.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

Good planning!

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for our trip

There are a lot of posts on the Cleveland board here which might be of interest to you, I would scroll through some other posts. I think allowing one day for each of those is good. If you're going to Amish country, I recommend the Farm at Walnut Creek. It's a huge farm, half of which being one of those exotic animal parks where you can drive through and see all kinds of animals (but stay in your car!) and the other half is a real working Amish farm, and you are free to walk the grounds and walk through the open sample homes where they are baking and canning and doing gardening in the yard and such. It's near Berlin, which is a good tourist area for Amish country with lots of little shops and ice cream stands and restaurants and such. If you find yourself near Shreve, it's well worth a stop to eat at Der Dutch Essenhaus, which is the BEST of all the Amish restaurants. There's not much to do in Shreve but the restaurant is worth a side trip, I think it's about a half hour away from the Berlin area.

If you like amusement parks, you will like cedar point but there's a lot to do so get there early and wear good shoes :)

While downtown/after the rock hall, consider touring the USS Cod submarine and/or the SS Mather steamship, both of which are permanently docked in the harbor next to the rock hall and open for tours.

Enjoy your trip!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
179 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for our trip

Great idea's! Thanks for all yur help!

4. Re: Suggestions for our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 20:41