We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do?! Ideas appreciated

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What to do?! Ideas appreciated

I'm trying to plan a quick weekend trip for my boyfriend and I (8/17-8/19). We're from NE Ohio (Akron area) I'm just looking for some ideas! We wouldn't want to drive more than a couple of hours. I would like it to be somewhat laid back and romantic but we also enjoy partying, outdoor adventures, and great food! And nothing too expensive (college students) Thanks!

I've heard great things about Geneva on the lake. Any thoughts?

We've been to Mohican and Put in Bay so not those places please :)

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do?! Ideas appreciated

If you're in college, are you of drinking age? One of the big attractions in the Geneva area are the wineries.

What is your budget for lodging and food?

If you like outdoor adventures, are you willing to camp?

CNN a few years ago labeled Kelleys Island as one of the most romantic island escapes in the world. Are you ruling it out?

Do you like amusement parks? Would Presque Isle and Waldameer Park appeal to you? I'm certain there is some night life in nearby Erie. Presque Isle should offer great swimming in mid-August.

There may be some other possibilities once we have some more information.

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
489 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do?! Ideas appreciated

I agree with TranscendentalEye. It sounds like Kelly’s Island would be a good place for you to go. Check out http://www.kiventureresort.com/ . You could bike around the island, swim at the State Park and party downtown.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do?! Ideas appreciated

Thank you! We actually pushed the date up to this weekend and have decided to stay in Sandusky and visit Kelley's Island and Cedar Point. I've never done either so I'm excited!

Thanks again! and yes we are of drinking age so there's a good chance we'll go to a winery :)

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do?! Ideas appreciated

Kelley's Island sounds perfect for us! Thank you both!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do?! Ideas appreciated

Elizabeth, I've never visited this more secluded beach on Kelleys Island, but you might want to check it out (post 3 in the following link; it sounds cool), then write a trip report and let us know what you think about this beach and Kelleys Island in general.

tripadvisor.com/…42147000

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do?! Ideas appreciated

I am very familiar with Geneva on the Lake. The strip itself is touristy, bustling and somewhat cheesy but it has its seedy charm. I would avoid The Cove nightclub. Honestly.

There is a beautiful hotel, The Lodge at Geneva on the Lake, on the same road as the strip and several BnB's - Warner Concord Farms in nearby Madison, Polly Harper Inn Geneva, or my personal fave Peggy's BnB in Ashtabula.

If you like wine, Geneva and the surrounding areas is your place.

Be sure to check out Bridge Street in Ashtabula Harbor, lots of boutique shopping and good eats.

Pretty scenic covered bridges and designated Wild and Scenic Rivers as well for hiking, fishing and exploring. If you decide on this area, I will be happy to answer any other questions.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do?! Ideas appreciated

Elizabeth, how was Kelleys Island?

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do?! Ideas appreciated

We ended up going back to Put in Bay! We just love it there! Had excellent perch tacos at Goat Soup and Whiskey - The best restaurant on the island. We also went to Cedar Point the next day, which was fun but the lines are ridiculous. Thanks for asking! :)

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do?! Ideas appreciated

We've been interested in going to Geneva for awhile! I think we'll definitely go but probably not for that occasion. I'm just not sure that Ohio offers what I'm looking for. Even though I'm not exactly sure what that is yet lol

Edited: 22 September 2012, 21:38
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do?! Ideas appreciated

Elizabeth, thanks for letting us know.