We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in bad weather?

Which Cleveland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
2 posts
Save Topic
What to do in bad weather?

6 of us will be in town from May 31st until June 3rd, primarily to go to Cedar Point. While we're there, we plan on checking out the Rock & Roll HOF and an Indians game on Friday night. But what can we do if the weather is bad? The age of the group ranges from 25-32.

Also, any advice on what bars to check out (none of us our enjoy dance clubs) and where to go for a nice dinner would be a great help! By the way, is the Great Lakes Brew Pub any good?

Lakewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in bad weather?

If you've got a car, you can go to Dave & Buster's, a huge arcade with a bar and restaurant (with surprisingly good food). It's in Westlake, about 20-30 minutes west of Cleveland, right off I-90.

We just had dinner at Great Lakes Saturday. It's a favorite of ours - I always recommend the cheese soup if you're a cheddar fan, and Dortmunder Gold is my favorite beer of all time.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
118 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in bad weather?

well, for shopping...

Beachwood Place and Legacy Village are about 15 mins out of DT.

Beachwood is a large, modern mall with mostly luxury stores (Saks, Nordstrom, Coach, J Crew, Abercrombie, etc. and H&M, Lacoste, and more opening soon!!!)

Across the street is Legacy Village which is smiliar to Easton in Columbus if you are fimilar with that...it has some very good restaurants (Cheesecake Factory, Brio, Melting Pot) and dozens of botiques, furniture stores, a really nice bookstore with a cafe, etc.

you can drive, cab it, or RTA it from DT.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in bad weather?

You can still do the rock hall if the weather is bad, obviously. Next to it is the Great Lakes Science Center, which is kind of cool. There is also a very, very large barge docked permanantly near both of those facilities that gives tours for cheap, I think like $5 each, called the USS Mather. very nearby that is the USS Cod, a submarine, which also gives tours for $5. Very near the Cod is a floating barge restaurant called Hornblowers. I don't recommend eating there but it's a good place for drinks because the view is great (if the weather is good, obviously).

Not sure where you are staying but downtown there are some very good restaurants. A lot of the bars are packed/dance clubs/loud on the weekends but you might want to give Spy Bar a try (no jeans/shorts/ballcaps) and Liquid Cafe, which are both on W. 6th very near Lakeside. There's a wine bar (Vivo), a chops/steaks place with good food (Cleveland Chophouse & Brewery), Metropolitan restaurant, Blue Point (seafood, $$$), Johnny's (upscale, $$$ but very good food and a Cleveland institution). There is a movie theater in Tower City, which is the downtown area mall.

Personally I think Great Lakes is hit-miss in both food and service. Across the street down the same small road that Great Lakes is on is a very good restaurant called Flying Fig, but it's more expensive than great lakes. Around the corner on W. 25th is a very good, small Greek-themed place called Opa.

And if you head to the Tremont neighborhood, which is very near downtown, you have lots of good choices for bars/restaurants, including Lolita, which I highly recommend, Parallax, 806 Martini/Wine bar, the Lincoln Park Pub (casual/bar food), La Tortilla Feliz (s. american food), Lava Lounge (good, hip bar), Fat Cats (great eats, small bistro type feel).

Enjoy your stay!

cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in bad weather?

Hi,

A couple of ideas:

a) Great Lakes really does make some awesome brew, but I wouldn't eat there considering the wealth of amazing Cleveland independent eateries. Some recommendations for you to check out: Lolita (celebrity chef Michael Symon's baby), Three Birds, Halite, Sans Souci. They're mid-high end, but not over the top for price and all top-notch.

b) If you like live music, we have an awesome off-the-beaten path club called Beachland Ballroom (beachlandballroom.com). It's in an old Slovenian social hall. The New Yorker, I think, called it the best club between NYC and L.A. Great music. Great setting. And completely un-pretentious. You're fine in jeans. They still serve Little Kings. Great music. Most people in your age group. It's like a college bar for grown-ups.

c) If you go to Beachland, you may want to eat at a great little spot a few blocks away called Grovewood Tavern. They have a web site, too. Weekly specials menu. This place looks like nothing but a neighborhood bar, but the surprise is excellent food -- from sushi to duck. Largest (and cheapest) by-the-glass wine selection in the area. One of best juke boxes, too.

d) If you want to stay downtown, there's a House of Blues for music...mainstream acts. Large walk-up biz.

e) Also usually live music at Fat Fish Blue, a cajun restaurant downtown. Big place...tasty food (much of it not too healthy). Also check out their web site.

Philadelphia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in bad weather?

Thanks for the great feedback!! We're looking forward to the trip and praying for good weather. Thanks again!

6. Re: What to do in bad weather?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2006, 13:55
7. Re: What to do in bad weather?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2006, 13:55
Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
472 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in bad weather?

On Route 250 in Sandusky. It's only 3 miles from Cedar Point. You have Ghostly Manor and the XD 3D Theater, all in side if it rains. A must see if you like thrills. Also the XD is a virtual roller coaster ride, if you were rained out at Cedar Point you still get to ride a roller coaster.

As for a nice place to eat… In the Comfort Inn on Route 250 is a place called the Baci Club. Very good food with a nice atmosphere and it's a bar with dancing also.

If you like Italian… I would suggest Marconi's in Huron. You would take Route 250 to Route 2, get off at Cleveland Rd. ( east) and it will be on your right. This is not a bar, but after you can check out the boat basin in Huron. Go to JP's down under.

Any other questions, you can e-mail me at jayme@ghostlymanor.com

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in bad weather?

The Cleveland Museum of Art is wonderful -- and it's free!

cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in bad weather?

The museum is closed for renovation!