We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route past or around Cleveland?

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
110 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Route past or around Cleveland?

We'll be passing through Cleveland on our first day out traveling west from New York. Map websites show different routes through and around Cleveland. What's the most efficient way to to pass through? Thanks for your advice.

Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route past or around Cleveland?

Assuming you'll be coming on I-90 and not I-80, just stay on I-90. It shouldn't be a problem unless you're traveling during a weekday evening rush hour. I-80 doesn't go through Cleveland.

The only caution is to slow down when I-90 turns south off of the shoreway. It actually is a 90-degree turn even though it's on an interstate.

Cleveland, OH
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
509 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route past or around Cleveland?

If you truly want to bypass downtown, take I-271 south to I-480 west. That will reconnect you with I-90/80 west at the Ohio Turnpike.

cleveland, ohio...
Level Contributor
15 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route past or around Cleveland?

I'd stick with I-90 as mentioned above unless it's the heart of rush hour, and even then, heading west you'll be in less traffic than if you were going east. The I-271/480 route may actually have more rush hour traffic than going through downtown. No matter what, you won't see NYC/Chicago/Boston traffic no matter what the hour, unless an accident slows things down.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route past or around Cleveland?

I grew up just south of Cleveland and live in central New York now. I'd definitely recommend staying on I-90.

Edited: 04 September 2013, 13:34
5. Re: Route past or around Cleveland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 06:21