We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long term stay recommendations

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Long term stay recommendations

Hey all,

I'm looking for some advice on a downtown hotel for a longer term stay in late March to early April. Specifically, I'm wondering which hotels folks would choose for themselves if they needed to stay for a couple of weeks. This is not for medical purposes, so I don't need access to the health line shuttle.

I'm mainly looking for someplace that will not be too loud, is within a 5 to 10 minute walk to restaurants/convenience markets, and is close to the Red line. A fridge and/or microwave would be great but not a deal-breaker. I've read through the reviews of the Hilton Garden Inn, Wyndham, Residence Inn, Hampton Inn, Marriot, etc, and am not getting a good feel about how any of them would be longer term. I've stayed at the Cleveland Hostel before and really liked it, but I need to be downtown for this trip. Budget is in the range of those I've listed above. Ritz Carlton is out of range :) Any insights and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

RC

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long term stay recommendations

You could look into the brand new Aloft hotel

Aloft Cleveland Downtown

1111 West 10th Street

Cleveland,

Ohio

United States

Map

Phone: (216) 400-6469

They have some nice areas, close to W. 9th Street for other restaurants, i think some of the rooms may have fridge, etc. website:

www.starwoodhotels.com/alofthotels/index.html

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
United States
United States
North America
Cleveland, OH
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
521 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long term stay recommendations

While a nice brand new hotel, the Aloft is kind of on the fringe of downtown, in an area still under redevelopment. You mentioned the Residence Inn Cleveland Downtown. Residence Inns are Marriott's properties for extended stays, so I think this might be the best bet. It features suites, full kitchens, complimentary high-speed Internet, and a free breakfast buffet daily. It is a few blocks from the Tower City Red Line Station, the Health Line bus rapid transit, as well as the dining options of the East 4th Street/Euclid Ave. area. Plus it is highly rated on Trip Advisor. The closest market (at least until the downtown Heinen's full-service grocery store opens at E. 9th & Euclid in October) is Constantino's Market in the Warehouse District, a 15 min. (.70 mile) walk from the Residence Inn (http://www.constantinosmarket.com/downtown/).

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long term stay recommendations

RC, welcome to TA and the Cleveland forum. Why do you need to be close to the Red Line? If it's just for travel to and from the airport, that perhaps is not a major consideration, due to cheap taxi fares and free downtown bus trolleys.

Is there one location you have to be close to downtown?

The Residence Inn, Radisson, Holiday Inn Express and Marriott probably would be your best bets, if being closest to the Red Line is essential. The Marriott would be closest to Constantino's in the Warehouse District, mentioned by pjsparma, followed by the Holiday Inn Express, although there's not much difference among the other three. The first three are closest to the East 4th St. dining district, whereas the Marriott is closest to the Warehouse District.

I don't know if the new Westin (in the old Crowne Plaza building) will open sufficiently soon to accommodate you.

starwoodhotels.com/westin/…

If you have a car there would be other options.

If you're trying to keep your budget down, hotels with free breakfasts would help. More reasonably priced restaurants might include the Flaming Ice Cube on Public Square and P. J. Luncheonette located in the Colonial Arcade (Residence Inn location; see "Breakfast and Weekend Brunch" in the following travel article).

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s501/Cleveland…

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long term stay recommendations

I second the rec. for the Residence Inn. I've stayed there myself and think it would suit your purposes well.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long term stay recommendations

Thank you all so much for this advice - all very helpful! I need to be near the Red line because that is the line with a stop closest to my research location. (I'd rather not have to change trains to keep the commute time down - it's about a mile walk from my stop to the facility - which I did for a week last month during the polar vortex. Brisk!) Thanks again to all for this advice - lots to think about. I really enjoyed my visit last month and am looking forward to seeing more of the city! TheFlaming Ice Cube sounds intriguing :)

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long term stay recommendations

Have you seen this article?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

You might want to pick a hotel with easy access to Euclid Ave. and the Healthline if you want to explore other parts of Cleveland.

For some cheap, but superb entertainment, check out student discounts (if you're a student) at both Severance Hall and PlayhouseSquare, or "Smart Seats" at PlayhouseSquare.

Are you certain that the Red Line is closer to your research location than the Healthline?

Edited: 11 February 2014, 01:39
Mentioned in this post
PlayhouseSquare
PlayhouseSquare
439 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long term stay recommendations

Thanks for the link! This has all been so helpful. I think I will go with the Residence Inn or Hilton Garden Inn, depending on availability (I will write a review afterward focusing on the long-term stay pros/cons). My research location is at the Museum of Natural History. Folks there told me about the shuttle to the RTA station, but I like the walk/need the exercise!

Cheers,

RC

Mentioned in this post
Cleveland Museum of Natural History
Cleveland Museum of...
491 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long term stay recommendations

Have you used the shuttle in the past? My understanding is that it doesn't run that frequently.

If you stay at the Residence Inn or the Hilton Garden Inn, IMO it would be easier to take the Healthline bus rapid to East Blvd. and just walk to the Natural History Museum. It would avoid the walk back to Tower City to catch the rapid.

If you experiment, let us know which option was best for transportation.

cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long term stay recommendations

I wouldn't go with Hilton Garden Inn because of location. In fact, I might opt for the W. 25th Street area instead of downtown (it's across the river from downtown...lots of restaurant and shopping options, plus the West Side Market is there.)

I'd suggest looking at J. Palen for longterm accomodations. We just stayed at the Retreat...it's on of two rooms in seaparate private guest house. The rooms each share the downstairs, which is a fully kitchen (full-size frig), very comfortable living area...and each room is equipped with flat screen. It's two blocks from 25th street restaurants...and you walk by Dave's Supermarket on the way. On street parking.

Mentioned in this post
West Side Market
West Side Market
3,721 Reviews
Cleveland, OH
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long term stay recommendations

Thanks, I will give the Healthline a try! I will post on the pros/cons of the various transportation options I used when I return from that trip (April).