We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with 83 year old Grandmother

Which Cleveland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
3 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay with 83 year old Grandmother

My Grandmother lives in an assisted living center in Cleveland. I am planning on visiting her and would like to find a hotel in which she can also stay with me ( kinda a vacation within her home city) I have looked at the Beachwood area and it seems nice. But what do you recommend. I am looking to take her shopping, out to eat, and to the cinema. I was thinking about downtown area, but with just us two I thought that might not be safe or that their would not be alot for us to do. She likes department store shopping and loves Olive Garden... so that is what I would like to find but in a nice part of town. Any suggestions. I need to book my airfare and car rental tonight!

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay with 83 year old Grandmother

If you are not limiting your search to the East side of town I would suggest checking out the hotels near Great Northern Shopping Mall (Westfield). It is right off of I-480 and just minutes from the airport. I believe there is an Olive Garden at Great Northern. While in that area you could drive north to Detroit and Crocker Road and also explore Crocker Park . This is an outdor mall with lots of nice restaurants and a movie theater. The shops there are a bit trendier than a regular mall.

Secondly, you could check out the hotels along I-71 and Bagley Road in Middleburg Heights. I know there is an Olive Garden there. A few exits south of this area is another big mall in Strongsville.

Hope this helps. .

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay with 83 year old Grandmother

It depends on what part of cleveland the assisted living center is located. If your visit is soon, the weather can be bad/cold and you won't want to be driving clear over to Beachwood if she's on the W side, and vice versa. As the other poster mentioned, North Olmsted around Great Northern Mall would be a good place, there is an OG there and the mall is very big. If she's anywhere on the East side, go with Beachwood. Legacy Village is a mall out there she would like.

Charlotte, NC
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay with 83 year old Grandmother

Thanks for the suggestions. GMA lives I guess the east side ( Valley Road, zip 44109) I just thought we could get away from that part of town so she can be in another area. Great Nothern over Beachwood ....

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay with 83 year old Grandmother

By west side they mean west of the Cuyahoga River. I think Valley road is very close to the river. If I'm not mistaken 44109 is still considered west side (Old Brooklyn). If you head west on 480 you can reach Great Northern in about 15 minutes from Valley Road.

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay with 83 year old Grandmother

Well, downtown is very nice and in my opinion; safe and walkable. There are several very nice hotels to choose from like the Ritz, Renaissance, Hyatt, and Marriot, and there are many nice restaurants downtown within walking distance. Although maybe for an 83 year old, you wouldn'y be walking around too much.

I wouldn't exactly choose North Olmsted as a place to stay. Great Northern Mall is a pretty typical shopping mall. It is nothing special and the town isn't anything special either. I would choose either Beachwood or Westlake. Both have plenty of hotels to choose from and both communities have the areas best shopping.

Beachwood Place in Beachwood is the most upscale shopping in the area with department stores like Saks, Nordstroms and Dillards. Plus there are a number of exclusive specialty shops at Beachwood Place. Legacy Village across from Beachwood Place is a Mainstreet shopping center with a lot of furniture and decor shops like Crate and Barrel, Restoration Hardware, and Arhaus.

In Westlake - on the west side - there is Crocker Park, which is a very nice brand new mixed-use development with a nice combination of national brand shops/restaurants and regional shops/restaurants. It is like a little village and includes a movie theater. If your grandmother likes Olive Garden, she might really like Brio Tuscan Grille, which is located at Crocker Park. I really think you should consider a hotel in Westlake and go out to Crocker Park, but there are no department stores here.

You could also consider staying at the Glidden House in University Circle. University Circle is the cultural hub of the city and has a lot of character with institutions located around pristine parks and gardens. This hotel is in an old manison and a lot of the city's museums are within walking distance. Also, Little Italy is just a few blocks away, which of course has great Italian food and some neat shops and galleries. It wouldn't be that far or difficult of a drive to go to Beachwood from University Circle either. Shaker Square located near University Circle is one of the best spots to get dinner and see a movie. The Square is a 1929 outdoor shopping center built in a Georgian architectural style and it has a lot of ambiance. There are a lot of unique restaurants to choose from on the Square, and an excellent Art Deco movie theater that has been fully restored and updated with modern comforts and technology.

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay with 83 year old Grandmother

Crocker Park is a very nice outside mall with a lot of trendy stores like Hollister, Abercrombie and Fitch and those type of stores.

When I suggested Great Northern in the previous post I was assuming your grandmother would like a "traditional" indoor mall with Sears, Penneys, and Macys as anchor stores. Also, if the weather is cold she might not like walking outdoors as much. As I mentioned previously, Crocker Park and Great Norhern are not that far from each other by car wherever you choose the location of your hotel.

Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay with 83 year old Grandmother

I would take my grandmother to Beachwood over any of the places mentioned in the other posts for the reason that all of the stuff you will want to do is with in a very easy drive of most of the hotels, Eton Place, Beachwood Place and Legacy Village are all within a few miles and there are tons of good restaurants. The Embassy Suites off of Chagrin is nice. and very close to the Olive Garden;) Also, I work in downtown Cleveland and in my opinion you would be disappointed. Enjoy your trip!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay with 83 year old Grandmother

I would have to agree with the Beachwood Plan. Crocker Park appeals more to teenagers...Beachwood has a variety of restuarants, hotels and shopping in close proximity...Legacy is nice if the weather is good.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay with 83 year old Grandmother

I would agree with Beachwood - you can stay near the Olive Garden on Orange Place right off Chagrin Blvd, there is actually a brand new Marriott located on Harvard in Highland Hills -very nice place to stay. Then head over to Beachwood Mall - all indoors, you can rent a wheelchair if needed and walk around. Lunch can be at Olive Garden, or there are tons of restaurants on Chagrin - Bravo is very good for Italian, Flemings for steak, etc. Legacy is an outdoor mall, but the Cheesecake Factory is located there - and that is a wonderful place for lunch - I take my mom there all the time and she loves it!!!

10. Re: Where to stay with 83 year old Grandmother

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 08:16