We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

neighborhoods to avoid?

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
palo alto, ca
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
neighborhoods to avoid?

going to columbus for a girls weekend memorial day weekend. researching hotels right now...any neighborhoods to avoid? any gem of a hotel that somehow trip advisor/yelp/priceline/yahoo travel isn't displaying correctly?

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
378 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: neighborhoods to avoid?

It would be a little easier if you could post here some of the hotels you are looking at. Then we can help guide you to some safe ones.

palo alto, ca
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: neighborhoods to avoid?

i'm looking at hotels within the $99 range so there's a range - some are dublin, worthington, grove city, hear the airport and downtown. as we will be attending an event at osu, we don't want to be too far.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: neighborhoods to avoid?

Don't think you will have any problems in those areas. Do be careful in the campus area, there was a rape a couple of weeks ago. NEVER walk in the OSU area at night alone. Stay in a large group and you will be fine, and keep an eye on your girlfriends.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
378 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: neighborhoods to avoid?

I agree with Binti on the campus area with the caveat that "downtown" can mean some okay areas and some not so okay areas. The usual precautions for being in a big city would apply, like not walking ALONE at night. Stick to main streets and not alleys at night, and be alert to your surroundings.

If you are contemplating something in the downtown area, we can comment on it if you can name the hotel/street it is on.

Dublin and Worthington are northern suburbs of Columbus and safe and nice. It would be a good 20 minutes to OSU or more if you have to travel during rush hour, but it is an easy drive.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
238 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: neighborhoods to avoid?

Just to put a little context into the "rush hour" comment since you appear to be coming from the SF area, our rush hour is very very minor. And my guess is that over memorial day weekend this will be even lighter. However, having said that, if you are going to overlap with the Memorial Tournament and you are not going to the tournament, you probably want to stay away from the Dublin area which does get very busy and you would be best off to stay downtown. I would base where to stay on what type of hotel you want and what you plan to do when you're here.

Let us know.

Columbus
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: neighborhoods to avoid?

Ok well to end the negativity and assist you lol

northern downtown hotels are great if your wanting to visit some of the neighborhoods near downtown (such as the short north arts district, german village, arena district) The arena district hotels are nice and you will be fine if your walking with others.

the whole high st. corridor is a great place to be and stay.

I actually live on south campus, and the area is very full with people always, its a big nightlife area and has the wexner center for the arts, so if your visiting columbus the OSU campus should be on your list of places to visit. It is a nice area, but its urban, and sometimes there are issues.

However, everyone once in a while there is a big city crime that occurs in the university district. So as others have said just use your common sense.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: neighborhoods to avoid?

And an end to polyanna and peter pan advice.

Welcome to then real world, Dylan. When a woman asks for real world advice, we will give it to her.

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: neighborhoods to avoid?

I would highly recommend Sheraton Suites located in Worthington.

The area is young and hip with lots of good restaurants around including a Panera Bread. Also a movie theater is right there. Makes it nice because you can stay in hotel but stay also in area

for dinner and more. The rooms are suites with mini-refrigerator and they have a nice indoor pool and gym.

Columbus
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: neighborhoods to avoid?

In all seriousness if you are coming to Columbus and looking for "young and hip" the downtown area is really going to drive you this setting the best.

There are many young people living in all areas of the city. But the most hip you are going to get are some nice chains or hip shopping (Easton and Polaris)

For a truely hip, fun area to stay in I would recommend, again, the Arena District. This is where Columbus' nightlfe scene is actually at. The northern Downtown section, Arena District and Park ST. Also, Bar of Modern Art is great on Broad ST. in downtown. Columbus' nightlife is not spread out across the city, it is centered downtown. Now as far as shopping, easting, dinning there are different concentrations of all of these throught all of columbus and the suburbs.

palo alto, ca
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: neighborhoods to avoid?

THANK you everyone! for your candid thoughts and comments. a friend of mine works for marriott so we ended up getting a pretty sweet deal from him to stay at the marriott in worthington.

we'll be heading to osu for the ultimate frisbee tournament - my friend's boyfriend's team is in it. but otherwise us girls will bum around town, and we're going to see corteo on saturday night.

so thanks for all the tips!