We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is this area safe?

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
6 posts
Save Topic
is this area safe?

My friends and I are passing through Columbus for one night on our road trip. We will be driving on the 71, so I booked a Travelodge off the highway in (i think) northern Columbus, exit 117. Is this a safe area? We are all college students, so price is really important to us, and this hotel is REALLY cheap. I just want to make sure we are safe. If this is not a good area are there any suggestions for cheap hotels?

Columbus
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: is this area safe?

The area is decently safe, if you want to do something while your in columbus though overall 71 is a very boring stretch of highway other than the polaris mall, get off 71 at 11th ave and go west and you will be on Ohio States campus, You want to drive west on 11th ave until you get to High St.

In general, anywhere on high st. from downtown a fewmiles north or south is very hip and fun in columbus.

Your hotel is a alright hotel in a neighborhood that has lots of immigrant apartments and middle class homes, nothing too crazy.

Los Angeles
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is this area safe?

thanks for the info!

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
698 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is this area safe?

My employer puts a lot of people up, and holds meetings, at some of the motels in the area. I know we had some problems at the Best Western there at 161 and Busch Blvd and also at the Midwest on Sinclair Rd with car break-ins, and one mugging a couple years ago (at the Best Western). Lately we've been using the Country Inn and Suites, which I believe is right by the Travelodge, and I have not heard of anyone having any problems there. And I have had no problems at any of the hotels in that area, although I'm generally just there for meetings, and not staying overnight.

It's not absolutely the greatest area in Columbus, but it's far from the worst. I'd say you'll be fine staying there for one night.

If you want to get out and about, as Dylan already noted, you're pretty handy to the OSU campus area. Go a couple miles south on High from OSU and you'll be in the Short North, which has lots of restaurants, bars, galleries, etc. I'd highly recommend drinks at the Surly Girl Saloon (High & 4th).

If you don't want to drive all the way into the city, you'll be staying just a few miles from Easton Town Center, which is a big lifestyle center, which also has lots of places to eat and drink and hang out. Go east on 161 from your hotel and then south on Stelzer or 270.

A couple miles northwest (US 23 and I-270) is Crosswoods in Worthington, which also has some restaurants and bars, but I'm not really familiar with what is there.

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is this area safe?

I didn't see dates for your travel, but the Ohio State Fair is going on until the 8/12 and travel between I 71 and High Street can be tricky if you are trying to take 11th or 17th Ave.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
698 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is this area safe?

That's true. I go to a lot of Crew games, and 17th has already been closed west of the Ohio Historical Society for the past couple of weekends, I assume in preparation for the Fair.

One alternate route would be to just head west on 161 to High St and go straight down. It's longer, but you see more of the city that way.

Or take 71 south to 5th and go west on 5th. When you get to High, turn right for OSU, or left for the Short North.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: is this area safe?

I believe the hotel you'll be staying in is right near the Continent. This is a small entertainment complex that has been around Columbus for years. Just recently they have been trying to revive that area.

http://continent2006.com/

As far as a nearby place to wet your whistle there's a pretty lively bar in the Continent. Go to http://brew-stirs.com/ and click on the Jose's Cabana link for more info.

Have Fun!

7. Re: is this area safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 01:19