We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocation tips please

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Relocation tips please

My husband and I may be relocating from UK next year as husband likely to be working in Dublin. Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere to avoid as regards buying renting a house, or preferable location ,we would prefer an older style property on outskirts rather than on large housing development in central Dublin but still want it to be safe.

Looking to spend up to $400,000.00 on a place or $2000.00 pcm rent approx.

Also need advice re:reputable school / uni for dtrs age 12 and 17

Any advice gratefully recd.

Karen

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocation tips please

I grew up in Upper Arlington, which is very, very nice. Also, it has an excellent school system, if you have children. It is on the NW side of Columbus, so the commute to Dublin is easy and short.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
698 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocation tips please

Dublin is a fairly affluent city; it doesn't really have areas that you'd want to avoid due to crime or being rundown. Most of the city is fairly new typical suburban development, so you might have some difficulty finding the older style you prefer, although there is an older part of Dublin just west of the Scioto River. The Dublin schools are generally well-regarded.

Upper Arlington, as the poster above mentioned, is another NW side affluent suburb. It's pretty sprawling and has a range of age/size of homes, but has a lot of older housing, particularly towards the southern end of town, that might fit your preferences more than what you'd find in Dublin. UA schools are highly thought of.

Worthington, a suburb to the east of Dublin, also has a mix of older and newer parts, with the central part of the town around High St. and Dublin-Granville Rd having lots of big old, well-kept homes, and a nice town square. Worthington also has a highly-regarded school system.

There's a lot of development occurring north and northwest of Dublin, into Union and Delaware Cos. There are some very nice homes up that way in Powell, etc., although again it's mostly newer suburban developments.

For the amount of money you have budgeted, you should be able to find a nice place in any of the communities listed above. Columbus is one of the cheaper housing markets in the U.S., so $400K will buy a nice place in an affluent community.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocation tips please

Thanks thats really helpful and puts my mind at rest. If everyone is as friendly as the folks on this site when we finally arrive I'm sure we will be very happy ; ))

Cheers all !

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocation tips please

Planet, I have friends who have renovated a home in Upper Arlington in your price range and is for sale. It is stunning, and would be perfect for a family with children.

Please PM if you would like more information. It is for sale by owner.

Binti

Canal Winchester...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocation tips please

Hi Karen!

CincySwords did a great with her post. I really do not have anything more to add. Any of those areas would be great. From what you described, I would guess you would like Upper Arlington or Worthington. Now if you want to be more isolated and have some acreage, you will need to look at some of the other areas CincySwords mentioned.

When my parents relocated they rented a house for a year to give them time to get a feel for the area and decide which place they liked the best. It might be something for you to consider especially if you are not going to be able to make lots of trips over here to house hunt.

If you have not done so, I would just start looking at real-estate online to get an idea of what the houses look like, cost, etc. Just send me a PM if you need some sites to look at and zip codes you can use.

Wendi

Columbus
Level Contributor
210 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Relocation tips please

Planet - all Ohio schools are reviewed and graded. As you look at home locations, you can check here for information about the schools your children would attend.

…state.oh.us/GD/…

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Relocation tips please

Binti-

Unlikely to be relocating till end of 2008/ New Year 2009 so may prove too big a wait for your friends I think ! I'll check in nearer the time and see whats happening then ,but thanks very much for your interest and input.

Wendi -

I have looked at real estate on-line and am pleasantly surprised at what we can afford to buy with what is a very modest sum here in UK.I am however a bit overwhelmed by the amount of property for sale and obviously ignorant about the areas. So input from all has been gratefully rec'd.Your advice re:being patient and renting awhile may prove to be be very prudent !!

Thanks for the link re:schools very useful !

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Relocation tips please

Upper Arlington and Worthington are both great areas

plus they have excellent school systems.

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Relocation tips please

My favorite house is MI HOMES that is the company

a large company that sells homes in columbus.

My favorite home is at Millstone Creek

The Floorplan is called Watkins II Traditional

Look on www.mihomes.com

Click on columbus

Type in Millstone Creek

You will see all the homes they offer in that area.

They have all the locations listed for MIHOMES.

Amherst, OH
Level Contributor
150 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Relocation tips please

My son lives in Worthington and I have to say that it has a very lovely downtown with very good eateries and a great coffee shop and an excellent ice cream shop. The city has a really nice park which in the summer has lots of things going on. In the winter it is decorated really nice for the holidays. I just love visiting there.