We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Columbus for OSU Game Sept. 2-5

Omaha, NE
2 posts
Coming to Columbus for OSU Game Sept. 2-5

We are coming to Columbus Sept. 2-5 for the OSU football game. Any suggestions on good places to stay that are near the stadium. We're looking for something with breakfast and maybe suites. Any suggestions for people who come into town for the game weekends? Thanks!

Marion, OH
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Coming to Columbus for OSU Game Sept. 2-5

You may have some difficulty getting a hotel this close to the September game. Holiday Inn on Lane Avenue is a very short walk to the stadium and has a restaurant. Blackwell Hotel on campus is the closest to the stadium it is new and up scale (has a restaurant). We usually stay at the Fairfield Inn on Olentangy River road with a Damon's restaurant out front (but eat breakfast either at the Fawcett Center on Olentangy with their buffet or hit Holiday Inn on Lane's buffet in the morning). The Fairfield Inn would be a bit of a walk but it can be done (I lived near there while attending OSU and we walked it) or you can get up early and park for $5 at the Fawcett Center. The only other option would to stay downtown Columbus.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Coming to Columbus for OSU Game Sept. 2-5

I think Brutus has it right. It will be tough -- you may want to go a bit further afield (perhaps the Hampton Inn near North Market or even the Worthington Inn up north on High Street) and then take a cab/bus to campus.

Mississippi
2 posts
3. Re: Coming to Columbus for OSU Game Sept. 2-5

I was checking out the hotel scene yesterday. Most of the hotels that are relatively close book months in advance. Right now you'll probably have to actually call the hotels to see if they have cancellations or stay a little further away from the campus area. Maybe try the Worthington or Dublin areas. These are about 10 -15 miles from where you want to be, but the hotels will be clean and in safe areas. Wherever you stay, you will be walking at least several miles on game day. Don't worry though - everyone is and you just follow the crowd.

Omaha, NE
2 posts
4. Re: Coming to Columbus for OSU Game Sept. 2-5

Thanks for the help. We've decided that we don't need to be near the stadium. Are there any shuttles to the game? I live in Nebraska and for the games they have shuttles from places 15-20 miles away. You can pay like $3 one way. Otherwise we'll plan to wear our walking shoes! I've heard there are pre-game festivities in the basketball arena. Does anyone know where I can find details for what times those start, directions, etc? We really want to get the full game day experience. Thanks!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Coming to Columbus for OSU Game Sept. 2-5

The old basketball arena "St. John's arena" has what is called a "Skull Session" 90 minutes prior to kickoff. It is basically a huge pep rally and warm-up for the band. gets to be standing room only. If you want the full gameday experience, I would plan on being on campus no later than 2 hours before kick off -- plenty to see and do.

Ohio
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
6. Re: Coming to Columbus for OSU Game Sept. 2-5

Make sure you hit Hineygate, in front of the Holiday Inn on Lane Ave! It's before and after the games. Definetly go to the Skull Session at St. John's Arena like it was mentioned above.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
187 posts
7. Re: Coming to Columbus for OSU Game Sept. 2-5

For OSU football games, the Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA) operates bus service to Ohio Stadium from the State Fairgrounds at I-71 and 17th Ave, but there are no hotels that I would recomend in that area.

I would try to find a decent price on a hotel downtown in the Arena District or Short North and then take a short cab ride up I-70 to 17th and park it at the fairgrounds. That way, once the game and Hineygate is over and you're back downtown, you can take a quick shower and you'll be right in the middle of party heaven. And no DUIs!

HFPO!

(Have Fun and Party On!)

And Go Bucks!