We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary/hotel

Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary/hotel

hello. i've searched through all your amazing advice to prevent too many repeat questions, but i've arrived at the spot i need help...

Fri 3/27 (eve) - Wed 4/1 (midday).

2 adults, 2 girls (aged 7 & 12)

our tentative itinerary with questions dispersed...

FRI

- hotel, pool, use laundry services

SAT

- 11am: Dan Zane & Friends @OSU

-Short North/North Market (will kids care about this? where should we eat here? is this where Betty's is?)

-Goodale Park (stuff for kids?)

-Magic Mountain in Polaris (how far away?)

SUN

-CMoA (will kids care about this?)

-3pm: Cirque D'or @ Palace Theater

-eat (where?)

-hotel/pool/relax

MON

-Columbus Zoo

-Indian Caverns maybe or German Village? or another suggestion would be great. a park? hiking?

TUE

-COSI

-Easton Town Center (if it's unique and not just any other mall)

WED

-?? space here till midday for something can added or moved around, or we can leave early

-drive home

we really wanted to see the Santa Maria or The Wilds but both will be closed then.

can anyone suggest a nice hotel in a safe area that would make sense to book considering our choice of venues? i've been researching hotels, but i'm not sure which area they're each in.

thank you so much for any advice.

Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
584 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary/hotel

Your itinerary is pretty scattered, but I'd suggest staying either downtown, north or northeast. As far as hotels go, it kind of depends on what type of hotel you like and your budget. Most of the chain hotels have locations north and/or northeast, so if you have a favorite chain, you'll undoubtedly find it in one of those two locations if not both. The North Market and short north areas are not likely to be big favorites of the kids, but get them (and yourself) ice cream at Jeni's at the market. If you want to eat at the market, just look around and see what looks good to you; you pick up your food at one or more of the food vendors and take it to a table inside or out. I don't think kids would love the art museum, either but I guess it depends on the kids.

Columbus, Oh
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary/hotel

I disagree about the art museaum, they have an egyptian exhibit right now I think kids would love.

COSI will be fun. They have a cool frog exhibit right now.

I would also stay downtown, but if you want an indoor pool, I'm not sure of any hotels that have that. The Rennaisance pool is outdoor and probably won't be open.

Goodale Park has a nice playground and some swings. Lots of dogs running around.

I'm not sure Betty's is a great kids place, but you'd need to check out their menu and decide. They also only have high seating there. http://bettyscolumbus.com/

Surly Girl Saloon is a pretty neat themed restaurant. http://www.surlygirlsaloon.com/

Also mostly high seating, but they have some lower tables in the back.

There are a couple of neat pizza shops in the Short North, Fabian's and ZPizza. Jeni's also has a stand alone shop in the Short North. It would probably be fun to get cones and then go to the park to eat them. Tigertree is a shop in the Short North that has some cute little gifts your girls might like.

http://shoptigertree.blogspot.com/

I think Monday, the zoo will take you all day. It is huge. You will probably just want to go somewhere for dinner that day.

Polaris is about a 20 minute drive from downtown.

Columbus, Oh
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary/hotel

Just remembered, you might want to consider the Franklin Park Conservatory. They just launched their butterfly exhibit on 3/14, and it is really fun.

Columbus, Oh
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary/hotel

ha, sorry for all of the posts! :)

I just want you to have fun!

I think your girls (and you!) will love this place too.

http://www.bakerygingham.com/

it is in German Village on Thurman. Really close to schiller park. Last Sunday, I took my family there to get cupcakes and then we went to the park to swing and eat them. it was fun.

Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary/hotel

thank you both so much for all the great info!

i think we'll try something north since downtown has little pool choices and parking is so expensive. i see several choices in Polaris, Worthington and near the airport and i assume parking is free there. Those would be good areas?

that cupcake place looks great - will check it out.

i do want to go either to the museum of art or the short north as i'm an art buff and would like to go to at least one museum or gallery. i just need to pick which would torture my kids & hubby the least. LOL

thank you!

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
288 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary/hotel

As far as hotels as stated earlier really depends on your price range. I would recommend downtown, Worthington, Easton, OSU, or the north end of town around 161/ Shrock. Some choices will be better than others as far as parking and public transportation options. Downtown you can always park at the hotel and most of your destinations are easily accessible by bus or walking.

Call hotel individually to check on laundry or dry cleaning facilities. Depending on kids personality they might not enjoy North Market or walking around Short north but neither should be too bad for them. Check out www.shortnorth.org and www.northmarket.com for prelim info. My kids like Schiller Park better than Goodale, however in my opinion neither is super kid oriented, However it's a park and kids can always have fun at parks. Check out www.metroparks.net and recparks.columbus.gov for additional park options. You could ride the bus down to schiller and German Village then back up to Short North and Goodale Park. Magic Mountain East is about twenty minutes from here and Polaris is about thirty to thirty-five from here. Give or take. Polaris has more options food and activities wise.

As stated earlier Musuem all depends on your kids, Had five year olds love it and 13 year olds hate it. First Saturdays and Family Sundays are enjoyable. Check out www.Columbus Museum.org for more info on these programs. If you think your kids will enjoy Cirque de soliel I mean d'or than I don't see why they won't enjoy the Museum. Abundance of places to eat depends on What you like or Want?

Zoo can be all day and Indian Caverns can be all day if you want. I would do German Village and short North, Goodale Park, and Schiller Park all in the same day. Also check out metro parks for interesting activties to do on this day.

Do Cosi as early as possible and if you absolutley want to go to Easton do it afterwords. A outdoor Mall but like some Malls it can be unique to some people.

Unfortunatley Santa Maria doesn't open until the fifth but you can always get info and donate to the Santa Maria Keep Afloat program by going to www.Santa Maria.org.

Use wed as a catch all day to see what you didn't get to see and try what you didn't get to try.

Hope all info is helpful

Message me with any additional questions about Hotels or anything.

Your friendly destination expert

Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary/hotel

dole - thank you so much for all the links and info.

i take it cirque d'or isn't as entertaining for kids as i assumed? hmm

as for the hotels downtown... as i was perusing the tripadvisor reviews, it looked as though most of them charged sometimes $21/day or more for parking, whether or not you use your car. wow.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
288 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary/hotel

If you saw Cirque De Soliel then Cirque d'or is about the same thing. Some Kids might enjoy it and some might not. Check out www.experienceColumbus.com for additional kids options. Some say it's for the whole family.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
288 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary/hotel

Some charge and other include it in the price. Most have other garages or lots by them that have daily charges less. Depending on how you feel if it was me I would park at a meter check into the hotel and then park somewhere cheaper. Honestly there are places on High Street and Broad street that would be safe to leave your car at and use public transportation to get back to the hotel. However some might say that I trust Columbusnites more than others. but hey That's just me. Depending on where you park at I really wouldn't see any issues.

Your friendly destination expert

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
190 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary/hotel

You have some good advice. I just wanted to add a thought on the Columbus Zoo. It is definitely a world class zoo and the pride of Columbus. I've hit a few zoos here and there and I'd stack it up against anyone. But it is spread out a bit more than most zoos. It gives animals room to roam, but it also means you're walking a bit more. It can be an all day deal and it could be tiring. I'd plan on it taking a good chunk of your day and would make your evening plans less agressive. Enjoy.