We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice places to live near columbus

Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
nice places to live near columbus

We are considering a move to Columbus area. Work would be Westerville. I am totally unfamilair with the area and am unsure where to look. Presently, we live in a small community on Florida coast. Definitely want small village like setting not too far out. Can someone point me in a direction. I have seen a place called New Albany but, am unsure about the size and growth in the area.

thanks for any info

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nice places to live near columbus

Welcome to Columbus!

A little more information would be helpful here...

Are you into new or older construction? Do you have children and are interested in school systems? Are being close to arts and nightlife important to you? Or do you prefere bike trails, walking paths? Is water important to you?

Price range would be helpful, too.

The area you mentioned, New Albany, has an excellent school system. Homes there are anywhere from 300K ish (not many at this price), up into the 1-2 million dollar range. The area is heavily influenced by Georgian revival brick contruction.

Good Luck! Binti

Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: nice places to live near columbus

My husband would prefer new. I like really old but with the maintence that can be a drawback. The snowfall concerns me. Do you get snowed in would I need to have it removed from driveway before I could leave my home? The only snow we have ever had was the kind that melts before the day was over.

I like tree lined streets with sidewalks. Yes, we will be needing middle school. Nothing really big and crowded. Unless school is small will probably stay with catholic school. I have looked into that somewhat. There are several in Westerville area.

I probably would not spend over 500k.

Columbus
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: nice places to live near columbus

In my opinion I like the older more historic and beautiful sections of Columbus. However, there are many nice smaller towns/surburbs. With Columbus' I personally think the closer to the city the better. There are many older suburbs that are nice, but have many new homes.

For my list of places I will stick to areas that are as you described pedestrian friendly and nice all around nice places.

Worthington is where I grew up. It is literally 10 minutes north of the city. The area has every type of housing stock that you can think of. The neighborhoods have sidewalks, trees, families, and are close to activities.

The city of Worthington takes pride in its nice downtown on Columbus' main street High Street. The downtown has a green, shops, restaurants. Worthington is also situated close to 3 major free ways, has the one of if not the best and most diverse school system in the area, and is located close to new entertainment venues in older and newer Columbus. Worthington sits literally NEXT to westerville :)

Just north of Worthington is an area that is just booming called Powell.

Other nice suburbs to choose from would be Upper Arlington and Bexley. These are two of Columbus' older and nicest suburbs. They have a mix of old and new neighborhoods.

If you choose to venture out into some of the newer suburbs you tend to get more cookie cutter development.

New Albany is boom ville for McMansions. The homes are nice and mostly new. The city is developing a little downtown area, but it is very off in its own little world and not connected with the rest of the metropolitan area the same. New Albany saw the smallest increase in home values since 2002. However, home prices there are the highest.

The city of Columbus extends about 220 square miles, so you can find any type of home in the city. The city limits also extend around and near some of the suburbs, letting you find a home in Columbus' but another cities' school district.

Clintonville (a few miles south of Worthington.) is a nice Columbus neighborhood that keeps its own identify. I would check out Clitonville if you find you like Worthington.

In Columbus the gentrified and historic Victorian Village and German Village are closer to downtown and gorgeous.

To wrap this up, If its a nice suburb your looking for I would really look into Worthington. Since you will be working in Westerville you might also look into that area.

The suburbs of Dublin, Hillard, and Grove City are hardly my cup of tea but some people enjoy those.

Columbus
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: nice places to live near columbus

I thought that I would also add that there is a pretty good catholic school in the columbus area called Clintonville.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nice places to live near columbus

Tiz, I would agree with the previous post.

As a matter of fact we just closed on a new (very old) home in Clintonville (we lived there before), so I have a home in Westerville on the market as we speak! It's a California Contemporary (kind of looks like the homes you would see in Aspen, with a wall of glass), with a huge master up (double jacuzzi and WBFP) and a suite downstairs with it's own bath. Would be great for a couple, or a couple with a kid over 8 since there are decks surrounding it and loft. Definitely not baby friendly. If you might be interested, leave an e-mail and I will send the brochure. I think it's an excellent value at 339K. We have a private park one house down.

Anyway, both Westerville and Worthington are excellent communities with good city services. And many kids in this area go to Catholic schools. Shopping and entertainment are very convenient with the Polaris area.

Good Luck!

Binti

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nice places to live near columbus

OOps..forgot the snow issue.

Ummm....yes, we do have snows (especially in the last several years) that require shoveling, plowing, blowing, to get out the driveway. You mentioned a middle age kid? Would be a nice money-maker for them!

Some people do contract with snow removal or have a kid in the hood ready to go. If you can't physically remove yourself, I would recommend setting something up as soon as you move.

On the good side, we lived in one home for over seven years and didn't own a shovel! But it seems we are in a new weather pattern in the 2000's here, so much for global warming!

Binti

Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: nice places to live near columbus

Thanks for the info. Clintonville and Wothington both sound interesting. New Albany not so much. I have been looking at German Village and Victorian already. I like the downtown area with the green. Will look at the catholic school in Clintonville. I may be back to ask other questions if this moves forward. Thanks again.

Tiz

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nice places to live near columbus

I would agree with most of the posts here. I love Worthington but wouldn't want to do the schools there. Obviously not a problem if you're looking to Catholic schools.

Not fair to be too down on New Albany. I live in the New Albany hood (only a $300k home). There are some very good neighborhoods that take advantage of the wonderful tax base without having to shell out a fortune. My property values have done very well thank you because they weren't inflated to begin with.

If you would consider public schools that are smaller and top notch you may wish to consider new Alabny or Granville. Granville is about 35 minutes east of Westerville and it is a classical midwestern town on the edge of the country but still close to Columbus.

As for snow -- we typically get only 2-3 snows a year that cause any stress. But I also agree with the posts here that say it has been a rougher last couple of years.

Welcome! benn in C-town since 88. Drop me a line if you would like to hear more.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nice places to live near columbus

Well, I live in Hilliard, and we love it. True, it's not hoity-toity like New Albany, but it's not as expensive either. There are some expensive homes in certain areas. We actually live in the city of Columbus, but we're in the Hilliard school district. Our taxes are a little less, and our teenager gets the benefit of really good schools. His middle school principal was named #1 in the nation! Hilliard is not "small", it's the 10th largest school district in the state. I think that says something about the caliber of the schools; people want their kids here! I would characterize Hilliard as a middle class community on average.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nice places to live near columbus

Mostly agreeing with/adding to earlier posts.

If you are working in Westerville and looking for a nice community, then I think you've gotten some good suggestions. German Village and Victorian Village/Short North are both fairly urban, and quite a haul to Westerville (even if it is a reverse commute you'll be in traffic). Clintonville has nice neighborhoods -- especially just west of High Street/south of Park of Roses. Close to Watterson (a fine Catholic high school even if it was rival to my public school). Granville is an intriguing suggestion. Lovely small town feel with the cultural advantage of a top-notch liberal arts college. Central Ohio is very livable -- you'll like it here (including the occasional snow!)

Get answers to your questions about Columbus