We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth a stop?

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Worth a stop?

I'm planning to spend a few days in Ohio at the end of May. I'm going to be in Morgantown, WV on a Tuesday night, arriving in Cincinnati in time for a Wednesday night Reds game. I plan to go to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Thursday and spend Friday and Saturday in Cleveland (Indians-Yankees series and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame).

My question is whether to stop in Columbus on the way to or from Cincinnati. If I don't stop in Columbus on the way to Cincinnati, I should have about five hours in Cincinnati before the Reds game. If I don't stop in Columbus on the way to Canton, I should have about 8 hours at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

From what I've read in the forums, I think I'll probably walk around the Mount Adams area of Cincinnati before the Reds game and stop in Columbus on the way to Canton to walk around German Village and the Brewery District -- I generally prefer exploring interesting neighborhoods to spending time indoors if I won't be spending much time somewhere.

Since Columbus is about halfway in between Cincinnati and Canton, I figured the people on this forum would have some interesting thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
61 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth a stop?

It would be helpful to know what you hope to accomplish on your visit. You mentioned German Village. If you like historic neighborhoods, there are several surrounding the downtown area, German Village being one of them. Victorian Village, Italian Village are also close by. You could easily spend a few hours just walking the streets enjoying the architecture. You also mentioned the Brewery District. I haven't been down there in a few years, but most of the business has moved north to the Arena District. If you let me know a little more about your interests, I can possibly provide you more details.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
279 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth a stop?

I always recommend someone to stop in Columbus especially if they haven't been. If you have time then I recommend it, however as mentioned above if it's a matter of inconvience to your trip then I would say that so as not to be upset at Columbus then it would best depend on what you were looking for. I mean if your a baseball fan than depending on what day you stop you could enjoy a minor league game at our new Huntington Park ( Indians affliate). If your into football and historical information then you could walk down the street that housed the first NFL commision office, which started in Columbus. If you like neighborhoods than as mentioned German Village, Short North, Brewery are all good choices, we actually have a tour bus guide at certain times and days that takes you around these neighborhoods and gives historical info on them. We have Mt. Vernon which was one of the first and few neighboorhoods in the northren, actually United States that had tanks on it's city streets due to Martial law that was declared on this all originally African American neighborhood. So as you can see just off of the two topics you mentioned Columbus has alot to offer but if you could give some specific things your looking for and I'm sure we can help you out farther.

You more than welcome to private message me farther also.

Your friendly destination expert

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth a stop?

Thank you both!

I think the tour may be perfect. I'm a big baseball and football fan, but this is part of a larger self-designed ballpark tour -- in Ohio, I'm going to Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati and then to Cleveland to Progressive Field before heading on to Pittsburgh for a game at PNC park -- and a trip to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, so I think seeing the historic neighborhoods would be a nice change of pace. I expect to be in the Columbus area around 11:00 or so and plan to do the Pro Football Hall of Fame that day. The Hall of Fame is open until 8:00 after Memorial Day, so I am looking for a nice place to stop for lunch and walk around for a few hours on the way.

I think seeing where the NFL commission office was and spending some time walking around German Village, Short North, Mt. Vernon and the Brewery District would be great.

Thanks!

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth a stop?

I was born in Columbus and lived in Ohio all my life. I'd love to know more about this tour. Is there a website or can you tell us how to learn more about it? Thanks!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth a stop?

I love Columbus, but I'm not sure it fits in your plans.

To kill time in Cincy I'd recommend the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum by the Great America Ballpark. It's the type of place where you can spend all day there or just a couple hours.

The Columbus Clippers baseball team (AAA team of the Cleveland Indians) has some business day specials where the games start at 11:30 in the morning (to lure in the downtown lunch crowd); it's usually on Thursdays. This may be an option for you.

I haven't done the Football Hall of Fame myself, but I think I'd devote the full eight hours.

Columbus is a nice city with a lot of stuff to do. You can't go wrong with "Things to do" or places to eat.

Enjoy your trip.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
279 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth a stop?

Yes the tours have been going on for a couple years, they are sponsered bu the CHS. Prices are about 20-30 dollars and last about three hours. Check out exact info at www.columbushistory.org.

Lac du Flambeau...
Level Contributor
283 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth a stop?

If you do Columbus, make sure you try Jeni's ice cream....unbelieveable!

Columbus
Level Contributor
211 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth a stop?

If you're tour is focused on baseball, the new Huntington Park (AAA baseball) just opened. It's only a few blocks north of German Village on the other side of downtown, in the Arena district. It's right off the highway, and was designed so people can peek in from the sidewalk to watch a bit of the game. It might be a fun quick stop for you.

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worth a stop?

Thank you all. In researching the Pro Football Hall of Fame, I decided that I wanted to spend a lot of time there, but I also wanted to at least check out Columbus a little bit.

It was raining the day I drove through Columbus, so I decided to just drive around German Village and then drive the length of High Street. I drove High Street from Route 104 up through the Brewery District, Arena District, Short North, by Ohio State, Clintonville and Worthington before catching I-270. I was definitely impressed! There looks like there is a ton to see, do and eat. The next time I'm in the area, I plan to budget a full day for Columbus!

Also, the poster who mentioned the Reds Museum was correct. I spent about three hours there and didn't wind up with much extra time for exploring Cincinnati. As for the pro football hall of fame, I wound up spending four hours there and felt rushed. I would recommend budgeting about five hours, if you are interested in history.

Columbus, Oh
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Worth a stop?

Thanks for the report! Glad your trip was fun.