We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red, White & Boom!

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Red, White & Boom!

I'm trying to plan ahead. We've done Red, White & BOOM all day experience downtown in the past. One of my boys doesn't like loud noises (even small town fireworks are too loud if we're too close) so we don't head downtown.

We're looking for some good viewing spots that aren't quite downtown. I'm thinking Lennox Town Center. We watched it from the airport parking garage last year; it was fun, but it wasn't close enough for me.

Where do you like to view Red, White & BOOM? I'm looking for places that aren't downtown, but I know you'll all want to share your favorite places regardless. Thanks.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
278 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red, White & Boom!

I use to like to go to Cooper Stadium. We would watch the game and they would shoot off their own fireworks and then the Boom would be right after. Sometimes we watched from the Suite and other times from the Club seats both were good. With the Ball park being at Huntington that might be too close but last I heard the Coop will be opening up the parking lot, so that might be an option also with it being set off from the Vets, certain places downtown might not be that close.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
698 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red, White & Boom!

I used to live in one of the apartment complexes behind the Giant Eagle on Neil, and lots of people come and watch the fireworks on the median between Thurber Dr W and Michigan Ave. There are also a lot of people who watch from around Wheeler Park (which is right behind the Giant Eagle). I also used to see a lot of people watching from Goodale Park, but people would be getting there first thing in the morning and staking out areas with chairs and blankets, so I don't know how it would be if you got there closer to the actual fireworks.

This will be the first year that I can't just stroll out on my balcony and watch the fireworks. So if anyone knows good vantage points from Grandview, I'm listening...

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
67 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red, White & Boom!

One of the best viewing points is around Confluence Park. You are far enough away to reduce the noise factor, but looking straight down the river so no visual obstructions.

It has been a while so I'm not sure how crowded it gets or if the restaurant there limits who views from that spot now.

Thom

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
61 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red, White & Boom!

I don't have any viewing tips, but did read that there will be less police directing traffic around the downtown area because of budget cuts. If you're far enough away from the heart of the city, it likely won't be an issue, but wanted to make you aware.

Canal Winchester...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red, White & Boom!

Yes it is correct there will be a much reduced police presence at this years fireworks. There will not be police at the major cross roads and they will not be directing traffic when you are leaving the event.

We usually watch it from Children's hospital or the German Village area.

6. Re: Red, White & Boom!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2009, 07:17