We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Columbus 2 days in mid November.

Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown Columbus 2 days in mid November.

My husband & I are planning to stay a couple of days in Columbus - are there any "Green" options for lodging? Nice walks? Vegetarian options at restaurants? We have an event to attend at the Athenaeum on Saturday but the rest is open. Also like history, may look into a visit to the state house?

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
758 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Columbus 2 days in mid November.

Don't know off-hand of any hotels that are particularly green in Columbus.

The Short North is good for walking and people-watching. Victorian Village and German Village both have lots of nice restored old houses and can be nice to walk around and look at those.

Some centrally-located restaurants with decent vegetarian options -- Northstar Cafe (Short North), Tip Top Kitchen (downtown), El Arepazo (downtown), Betty's (Short North), zpizza (Short North), Nida's Thai (Short North), Cafe Corner (Harrison West). North Market has a variety of stuff to choose from.

Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Columbus 2 days in mid November.

Thank you! this info will help a lot.

Lac du Flambeau...
Level Contributor
289 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Columbus 2 days in mid November.

North Star is a very good choice; my son, who is vegetarian and lived in Columbus for 5 years, also loves Dragonfly Neo on King Avenue. A bit pricey, but wonderful.

Columbus, Oh
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Columbus 2 days in mid November.

Dragonfly Neo-V is pricey, but their spot next door, On the Fly is cheap.

Pattycake Bakery in Clintonville. Super good.

Rad Dog hot dog cart when you can find him. Check his website for his location.

Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Columbus 2 days in mid November.

Great - I'll check into these - Thank you!

Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown Columbus 2 days in mid November.

we have booked lodging at the Columbus Renaissance Hotel - close to our event Sat night... but have just read a review saying they have Bedbugs!

Any local info about this?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown Columbus 2 days in mid November.

Can't give any local info re: bedbugs and obviously can't guarantee there won't be any.

What I can offer/suggest, is that you read (most/all) of the other reviews - at least those that are for stays in the last few months or so - before making your decision.

I'm not saying this review is made up, but It is not rare to see anomalous reviews on TA. There's a lot of different reasons for these and I won't go into all of them right now. I'll just point out that I would never not choose a hotel based on a single bad review.

A few things I consider when "ranking" the quality of reviews:

1) How recent is the review and when was the stay;

2) How many contributions has the reviewer made (both reviews and forum postings);

3) How articulate is the review, how full of hyperbole (I rarely, if ever, believe a review whose title includes "worst hotel");

4) Was the reviewer obviously ticked off about something? I can't count the number of negative reviews I have read that were clearly generated because of a single "bad" event. Usually these are based on unreasonable demands or expectations on the part of the reviewer.

Anyway, that's a few comments.

I'll just add that it would be helpful to others if you generated a review, regardless of your final hotel selection.

HLO,

Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown Columbus 2 days in mid November.

Thank you. I agree that the review I read was pretty hyperbolic. I will keep my reservation and write a review of my own when I get home. Though, I must say that I'll also inspect the bed and the baseboards as soon as I check in.

Thanks again.

9. Re: Downtown Columbus 2 days in mid November.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2010, 05:18