We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day weekend around Columbus with 14 month old

Kentucky
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Memorial Day weekend around Columbus with 14 month old

We will be spending the Memorial Day Holiday around Columbus and are looking for things to do on Saturday the29th......the only child with us will be a 14 month old....any suggestions? Also looking for hotel to stay at, prefer a reasonably priced 2 BR suite.....will be heading to Canal Winchester on Sunday....Thanks for the help!

Columbus, Oh
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Day weekend around Columbus with 14 month old

zoo is always fun. also cosi's little kid space would be fun.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Day weekend around Columbus with 14 month old

I agree. The Zoo/Jungle Jack's Landing if the weather's nice. COSI if the weather's bad.

Not sure from which direction you're coming into Columbus - but the Polaris area or the Easton area are both nice places to stay with lots of choices for restaurants and shopping.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial Day weekend around Columbus with 14 month old

Our daughters enjoyed the Columbus Zoo at 14 months. Keep the trip inside attention and energy span of the youngster for maximum fun.

If you are coming from out of town, book a hotel with an indoor pool.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial Day weekend around Columbus with 14 month old

agreed-- if it's nice, the zoo is REALLY a good one and perfect for the age. COSI? we just took my 2 year old niece and nephew. Most of it was too "old" for them and it is also pricey. They loved the water room -- most else didn't interest them alot. We laughed and decided we should've saved the $$ and let them play in the bathtub instead :)

Are you staying in Columbus? or the Canal Winchester area? I ask because there is a place that would be fun for the child in Lancaster, OH. (few miles from Canal if you're not familiar with the area)

http://www.aha4kids.org/ Took the twins there also this year and they loved it. Your fun will be watching him/her play, tho. Good option for a rainy day for a child your age.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorial Day weekend around Columbus with 14 month old

We'll actually be visiting/staying in Canal Winchester on Saturday; I haven't booked a hotel for Sunday yet, and Sunday is the day I am looking for things to do.......How far is Lancaster and what is there?

Thanks so much for all your advise! If only we could know what the weather will be!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memorial Day weekend around Columbus with 14 month old

Lancaster is about 15 miles southeast of Canal. Straight shot down Rt 33. Not far.

Kind of a quiet little town. Do you mean what is there as far as lodging?

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g50533-Lancaster_Ohio…

Wide variety of restaurants. Everything from fast food, to Olive Garden and Bob Evans to some nicer places like Billy Crickets and Shaw's. Shaw's is a neat old place on the town square. Restaurant and rooms.

http://www.hockinghills.com/shaws/

Hocking Hills is a pretty area. Free, too :) A series of state parks with waterfalls, hiking trails and rock outcroppings. Huge flea market, arts and craft shops.... in a complex on 33. About 20 miles southeast of Lancaster, so not sure how far you want to drive.

http://www.hockinghills.com/

http://www.hockinghillsmarket.com/

Not sure what your question meant, so-- I'll try and be more specific if you have more detailed questions? I live in the area.

Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Memorial Day weekend around Columbus with 14 month old

The Columbus Zoo is amazing.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
289 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Memorial Day weekend around Columbus with 14 month old

Aha is similar to Cosi concept but in lancaster and for younger kids. Lancaster isn't that far from Canal Winchester about 30 minute drive or so depending on what part of Canal. In all honestly is it really alot you can do with a one year old for entertainment other than play with them and give them things to throw. I think Cosi would be a better choice than the Zoo when it comes to that age, however the zoo will give alot of entertainment to the parents while trying to keep the child in the stroller except for my house which is more for two and up. Cosi also will be entertaining but kind of hard to look at all exihibits without boring child, Cosi does have one thing going for it and that'd Kid's Space. Most people I know with kids this age have a membership to both and spend more time at Cosi than the zoo. Kids Space will allow you to take your child out and get down and dirty with them and wear them along with yourself out plus other kid interaction and than will allow you to put them in the stroller head to the underwater part let them see how sound and water go together pretty much let a 14 month splash a little, and than tire them out so the adults can go explore. At this age the Columbus Metropolitan Library and local parks are also good. We also have a Gymboree Play and learn in Gahanna. ALso if you could clarify because your post never explicitly said things to do with a child you only stated a 14 month old will be with you. So are you looking for things to do that will allow the 14 month old to accompany you or things to do just for the child?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
190 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Memorial Day weekend around Columbus with 14 month old

I concur with the Zoo, COSI, and staying at Easton. There's a Best Western in Canal Winchester; it's in a decent area with strip malls, but I'm not sure how nice the hotel is. Easton has easy access to the whole city. I believe the Asian festival is going on downtown this weekend as well.

10. Re: Memorial Day weekend around Columbus with 14 month old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2010, 05:15