We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pittsburgh's equivalent to Easton?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Pittsburgh's equivalent to Easton?

Hello,

I'm hoping someone here in Columbus has been to Pittsburgh, so I'd like to ask this question here. I posted in Pittsburgh's forum, too.

We are going to Pittsburg for a Steelers game and I am looking to stay in an area with easily accessible shopping for wife and daughter during the game. I'm hoping they have something like Easton. Our boy and I can cab or drive to the game, so we are interested in having the girls' activities right at the hotel.

Thanks!

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
760 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pittsburgh's equivalent to Easton?

Not sure there is anything exactly like Easton.

SouthSide Works is an Easton-type shopping district integrated into an older commercial area along E. Carson St. south of downtown Pittsburgh. It's not as large as Easton, and I don't recall there being any hotels right there. The south side of Pittsburgh is great, although it is something of a nightlife area, so depending on your daughter's age, it might not be the ideal choice.

There's also Waterfront Town Center in Homestead, which is also not as big as Easton, and I don't remember hotels right there. The surrounding area is also not the greatest.

The big suburban shopping concentration seems to be out in Robinson Township, west of the city. I've stayed out that way for Penguins games and other events in or near downtown Pittsburgh. It's a pretty easy drive into the city and back out. But the shopping is not quite as concentrated in one center as it is at Easton. There is a mall (Mall at Robinson) at the center. I have never been in it, so I don't know how thriving it is or if it's got enough that you could spend a day there and be entertained. But most of the other shopping around there is somewhat spread out in different plazas along ring roads...not especially walkable or compact. I also don't recall hotels being right by the mall -- when I've stayed out there, I've stayed at places a couple miles away nearer to the airport.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pittsburgh's equivalent to Easton?

I like the Robinson Township area too - there are nice hotels in the area - we stay at the Embassy Suites when we go to Pittsburgh - there is a large IKEA located and the mall is somewhat normal, but NO SALES TAX ON CLOTHES in Pennsylvania!!! We bought lots of stuff!!!

3. Re: Pittsburgh's equivalent to Easton?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2011, 05:20