We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay in Columbus with Family for a Year +

Columbus, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Place to stay in Columbus with Family for a Year +

Hi,

My job needs me to move from n.VA to Columbus, I work at Downtown and searching for an Apartment with garage within 10-12miles drive from Downtown, I am here with my family so need a good and safe location to stay for more than a year.

Here are list of area's which I got Columbus divided, it would be great if someone can please sort it based on Safe and un-safe. I do understand no place on earth is 100% safe and vice versa however safety upto certain limit should be good.

Northwest: Columbus, Dublin, Powell, Upper Arlington, Hilliard, Marysville, Worthington

Northeast: Blaclick, Columbus, Gahana, Galena, New Albany, Sunbury, Westerville, Worthington

East: Bexely, Granville, Lancaster, Groveport,..etc.

West: Galloway, London, New Rome, Orient

Southwest: Columbus, Grove City.

Thanks

Amit

Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay in Columbus with Family for a Year +

I grew up on the Northwest side, between HIlliard and Dublin. There are many parks / restaurants in this area and Tuttle Mall is very close. There is also easy access to 270 and you can be downtown from this area in around 20 min. I am sure that everyone will have different opinions depending on where they are from. I should point out that Upper Arlington and some parts of Columbus are east of the Scioto River while Hilliard & Dublin are west of the river. All of these locations are very nice, safe, and convenient. I don't think you want to be out as far as Marysville, Lancaster, and the western towns that you mention, that so I would take those off your list.

You may want to get in touch with a realtor and get their input. Some of your decisions may also have to do with schools and I know that the Hilliard, Dublin, & Upper Arlington schools are all very good. You will also have to decide if you are looking to rent a house or an apartment.

I would get a map of Columbus. This will help you eliminate some areas as just too far. Your work may have a department that helps with relocation.

Good Luck. Feel free to ask any questions.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay in Columbus with Family for a Year +

You might want to add Grandview Heights to your list, as it's close to downtown. It seems quite pleasant. I'm not certain what the commute is like.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandview_Heights,_Ohio

Be certain to check your commutes personally before committing to any location. Some of the commutes to downtown are nasty, based on what I've heard. I try to avoid rush hours when visiting Columbus, as I do with most large U.S. cities.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
758 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay in Columbus with Family for a Year +

I live in Grandview Heights and it's a great place to live. Very safe, close-knit community, very walkable, good schools, good variety of restaurants. Very close to downtown. I can be down to Broad and High in less than ten minutes via Dublin Rd/Spring St.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay in Columbus with Family for a Year +

Dublin would be about a 30 min. drive into Columbus and they usually have plenty of corporate-type rentals (lots of people from Honda in Marysville). Dublin has excellent schools, shopping and is pretty much about as safe as you are going to get in Central Ohio. Check w/ a Dublin based realtor.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay in Columbus with Family for a Year +

I would add Lewis Center to the city list in the Northwest locale category. The schools are top-notch (Olentangy Local), the drive to downtown (depending how close you live to Rt 23) is about 30 minutes during rush hour (15-20 any other time), retail locations are very convenient (grocery stores, movie theaters, shopping malls, restaurants), there's Highbanks Park and Alum Creek lake nearby, not to mention the Zoo and Zoombeezi Bay are only 15 minutes away.

In all honesty, the locations suggested above are all wonderful areas as well with great schools and easy access to downtown. The Gahanna/New Albany area should also be considered as it's super easy to get downtown via I-670 and the Easton area is so close, however, do consult a realtor or someone familiar with this area because there are spots just outside the Gahanna area that are not the safest.

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
579 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay in Columbus with Family for a Year +

Wherever you are looking, would recommend another school district besides Columbus. I would recommend areas to the northwest of downtown. In particular, Grandview Heights, Upper Arlington, Worthington, Hilliard, and Dublin have excellent school systems and are safer parts of town, full of families. Powell is great, too. I lived in Powell for years and, as of 4 years ago, different parts of Powell use Dublin & Worthington school systems. Be careful with renting apartments in Dublin. Some of the complexes had gotten quite unpleasant in recent years, especially the ones off Sawmill Rd. from 161 to about Hard Rd.

Once you get as far as the 270 outerbelt in this area, you're about 30 minutes from downtown. East side has a reputation for more crime, and south side is growing, but it's still heavily agricultural and industrial, with less emphasis on education and educational opportunities. Of course these are stereotypes with exceptions, but I lived in Columbus for 38 years, until a few years ago. My job entailed outside sales, so I've seen it all.

The public transportation system could be another consideration if you have an interest. Buses tend to go like spokes of a wheel, straight downtown and back, and are worthless to most who don't work downtown. Some areas are easy to reach via bus, and some are virtually inaccessible.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay in Columbus with Family for a Year +

FYI, those apartments on Sawmill from 161 to Hard Rd. are not in Dublin, they are in the City of Columbus. They may have a Dublin mailing address, and may go to Dublin schools, but they are governed by Columbus (3 totally different political subdivisions).

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
579 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to stay in Columbus with Family for a Year +

Thanks for clarifying. Since my post was largely in regard to school districts, coupled with the probability that such a short-term resident would have little if any interest in local politics and participation therein, I considered that detail to be impertinent. However, since you've brought it up, the author of the question may appreciate the knowledge that school district boundaries and other political boundaries (such as 911 services) often do not coincide in Columbus.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to stay in Columbus with Family for a Year +

If schools are one of your main considerations, do pay very close attention to school district lines, they are not the same as city boundaries, ask your realtor and make sure they double check.

As with the Sawmill Rd/Dublin/Columbus, examples, there are several other areas w/odd policital ( and I don't mean in the sense of voting for this and that) set-ups. There is also a subdivision on the southern boundaries of the City of Dublin wherein their kids go to Hilliard schools. Another example is Worthington Schools and mailing address, but actually paying taxes to the City of Columbus.

Just something to be aware of in your search

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to stay in Columbus with Family for a Year +

I live in Upper Arlington and love it. It has great character as old Arlington was mostly developed after WW I through the twenties and thirties. Lots of trees and parks. It's a fabulous community with 4th of July being one of the biggest old fashion holidays. We have Labor neighbor day festivities and art show on labor day weekend. Great activities for the kids. and outstanding restaurants/grocery stores, etc. Extra ordinarily safe- you can turn the kids loose without worry. Some of the best schools in the state. Fantastic library system. Easy to get anywhere in Columbus from here. I work downtown and it takes me about 15 minutes from doorstep to garage. Often bus it in about 20 minutes.