We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swimming in hocking hills

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
swimming in hocking hills

hello all. thank you so much for past info.

we're considering hocking hills for a weekend trip (July 30 & 31). we would like to do some hiking as i've heard about how beautiful HH is, but our kids (girls, 14 and 10) will also very much want to swim and perhaps anything else laid back, in the water or not. i want them to have a chance to relax AND PLAY without a rigid schedule.

any advice on what to do and where to stay for these things? i saw there are tipis for rent in some places but i have no idea if that's near the good hiking or any swimming. cabins are perhaps pricey?

also, i was wondering about the possibility of bringing our dog.

thank you!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swimming in hocking hills

I love Hocking Hills, but I usually go for day trips. Some cabins have different options. We stayed at Old Man's Cave Chalets several years ago and it was really nice. They have a pool and I think all the cabins have hot tugs (not sure though). It's close to the hiking and such. Here's the web site.

http://www.oldmanscavechalets.com/default.asp

There's also Lake Hope State Park close by. I'm not sure if there's good swimming in the lake. There's cabin options there as well.

http://www.lakehopestatepark.com/

Sorry I don't have more to give you.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swimming in hocking hills

there is a pool at Old Mans Cave state park

dnr.state.oh.us/parks/tabid/743/Default.aspx

Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: swimming in hocking hills

thank you!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swimming in hocking hills

do you have this link?

reservationsonline.com/magic-scripts/associa…

Will bring up all cabins available for your dates. My favorite spots never have anything on short notice, so..my favorites won't help. We have stayed with Old Mans Cave Chalets before-- twice-- and liked both places. There are others out there less expensive and nicer, but... finding them is not always easy :)

This is one that I have bookmarked, but not stayed at. http://www.hiddenfallsretreat.com/ Available for your weekend it looks like. We stayed in a small place on the same dead end road-- the last cottage prior to this one. Middle of winter so no else in the area. We climbed on the decks and took photos of the waterfall- Looked nice from the exterior and what we could see thru the windows. That was 3 years ago. Since there are other cabins in the hollow, it's not private per se, but it is the last place and overlooks the waterfalls you see in the photos.

Also-- there is a huge antique, craft mall, flea market complex right on 33 near Rockbridge. The little diner there changed hands 2 years ago and thier food is REALLY good and reasonable.

As for the dog-- you'll need to check with individual cabins. There tend to be alot of deer wandering the area, so not sure the dog is a good idea. You may be awakened by barking at the crack of dawn :)

Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: swimming in hocking hills

thank you so much for this info - i'll pore over it and i really appreciate it!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: swimming in hocking hills

you're welcome-- hope it helps and hope you enjoy the area. You'll have to tell us about it when you get home. :) I also hope it a nice weekend and not hot and humid!

7. Re: swimming in hocking hills

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 18:19