We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't look for help from Columbus Police

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Topic
Don't look for help from Columbus Police

Our car was broken into (yes we had put things in trunk, but had out of state plates) in German Village while eating at a restaurant. When we called the Columbus Police to report it, we were told that they do not respond unless there is over $3000 involved. I guess that explains why we were later told that there are often break ins in the area. We had a great meal, but cancelled our hotel reservations and left town.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't look for help from Columbus Police

Unfortunately, some Ohio cities and cities in other states have failed to learn from the experience of New York City, which under Mayor Rudy Giuliani cracked down on the little things, even panhandling, and saw a Renaissance in the city.

city-journal.org/2008/18_3_panhandling.html

If you are correct, by failing to respond and by not filing reports on thefts of under $3,000, the Columbus police create the false impression that they are doing a good job and that German Village and Columbus are safer than represented. Of course, residents and visitors know better, or learn better, and the areas with inadequate police service and law enforcement eventually go into decline.

Such a policy would be a special disaster in German Village, where on-street parking is the norm, even for residents.

If you are accurate, Columbus politicians apparently forget what German Village was like 40-50 years ago, if your report is accurate.

BTW, how do you file an insurance claim without a police report?

Having said all of this, I'm pretty familiar with German Village, and haven't heard that it is plagued by break-ins. I've also never seen a single panhandler during my many days of visits annually to German Village. The Columbus police are especially aggressive in responding to incidents of violence, including armed violence, in German Village. I've certainly walked the village in the dark, after 9 p.m., and not felt at all threatened.

So I hope your report is the unfortunate exception and not the rule, as you claim. Columbus can't afford to look the other way on property crimes of under $3,000.

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
568 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't look for help from Columbus Police

I'm not saying I agree or disagree since I don't know the policy, but I do know that even if the police (anywhere) do not visit the scene of a crime, you can still file a report, possibly over the phone or internet for some locations. Getting a copy of it without visiting in person may or may not be possible, but filing a report is solely at the discretion of citizens. You should have ample time, like 30-180 days to file the report. I hope you took some pictures.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
278 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't look for help from Columbus Police

Columbus has a system that when you contact the dispatcher depending on the nature of the crime will transfer you to a automated phone reporting system. Follow the prompts and answer the questions on this system and someone will follow-up with you and send you a copy of the report. This allows officers to sit in the cruisers longer while waiting for more serious crimes allowing for more man hours and less cruisers not being able to respond.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
311 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't look for help from Columbus Police

Sorry to hear about your car being broken into, but sadly it does happen quite often. We have friends that live in German Village and had their car broken into their first weekend of moving into their new place.

My husband had his vehicle broken into this summer in another area of the city (while attending a conference at a hotel - how convenient for thieves). He had to report the break-in online as well.

Here is the link if you would like to report it - not sure if you need it for insurance purposes or not: www.columbuspolice.org/dors/start-report.html

It is sad that this problem continues especially in the areas where it happens time and time again. It's even more disappointing that it drives visitors out of our city.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't look for help from Columbus Police

:-( I've been there before in Columbus as well. Had the very first car I bought broken in to 3 weeks after I got it. What was said above though is accurate. It can still be reported for insurance claim purposes though, it just won't be investigated.

Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't look for help from Columbus Police

Speaking on behalf of the German Village Society, I am so sorry this had to be your "welcome" to our neighborhood. It is such a shame that a bad apple drove you away from our shiny little downtown core neighborhood. I have checked in with Precinct 11, with whom GVS works very closely, and they confirm what you were told: cruisers are not generally sent directly to investigate property thefts under $3,000. I'm told that the exception to this rule is: 1) you have a physical description to offer about the thief, in which case officers would have a chance to make an arrest based solely on your report. Without that, they will get the same information from you over the phone or via the web as they can in person; 2) if there is bodily harm. The police told me, however, that the report online or by phone is still VERY important and HIGHLY encouraged. Why? Because their officer assignments are based solely on data, and when there are a rash of similar reports, patrols are stepped up in those areas. I hope you'll consider another visit to German Village. -Shiloh Todorov, Director - German Village Society

ed4
usa
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't look for help from Columbus Police

my car was also broken into in german village today. i filed a report online and am now looking for someone to replace the glass (any suggestions-we moved here recently). I know this can happen anywhere, but from what I am hearing after we moved, it happens quite frequently around here, unfortunately. As soon as our lease is up, we are out of here.

Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't look for help from Columbus Police

May I invite you to talk directly to police at 12:30 pm Thursday at 588 S 3rd--the regular monthly meeting between GV residents and the cops assigned to our precinct?

9. Re: Don't look for help from Columbus Police

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2012, 10:19