We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in Columbus

USA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
1 day in Columbus

Wife, my 2 year old and self are driving

and staying in Columbus, coming in on 70 West

from DC in July.

We plan on the zoo and maybe german village?

What's a good route to continue to Chicago?

What's a good choice of budget hotel?

Thanks

Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in Columbus

The Columbus Zoo is fabulous. There is a water park accross the parking lot as well. It gets very hot in July, so you may want to plan on stopping there as well.

To continue on to Chicago, simply stay on 70. It will take you right through Indiana and on into Illinois. There are signs on 70 directing you to Chicago.

As for a hotel, do you want to stay in the city, near a specific attraction, such as the zoo or a mall, or in the suberbs away from the business of downtown?

Have a safe trip.

USA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in Columbus

Managed to find a cheap rate

at the Midwest Hotel on Sinclair.

Hope it works out.

Thanks for the info.

USA
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day in Columbus

Not to scare you, but you may want to reconsider your choice of lodging. I've never stayed at the Midwest, but know the area well. It's not exactly safe... especially after dark.

The Sinclair Rd/Morse Rd/I-71 area is no place to stay with a young child, in my opinion. The "business" transactions that occur in the vicinity attract all sorts of characters, and the whole area is quite rundown. There are plenty of other alternatives for budget lodging in Columbus, without having to worry about the safety of you or your loved ones.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more info!

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day in Columbus

Ditto on the Morse/Sinclair area.

Not a good idea, what about the Rome/Hilliard Rd. area? That would put you right on 70 on the west side of town towards Indy.

Does anyone know what's out there? I have not been that way in a while.

Binti

Columbus, Oh
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day in Columbus

Here is a place you may want to consider. This is a brand new indoor waterpark and you can only go if you stay in the hotel.

http://www.fortrapids.com/index.php

It will be a bit of a drive from the zoo, but honestly if you don't stay near the zoo you will have to drive to it anyway.

German Village is fun to walk around. They don't have any events in July, but they have a beautiful park. www.germanvillage.org/eventcalendar.htm

If you want to do some shopping I would highly recommend this place Easton. http://www.eastontowncenter.com/

All of the other malls are no good. Polaris has nice shops, but it is enclosed and VERY busy. Easton is a new concept that is pretty cool. They have water fountains that all of the kids wear swimsuits and play in as well.

Columbus, Oh
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day in Columbus

If you want some specific advice on other things to do, or places to go eat, or whatever...check out this website:

www.columbusunderground.com

It is full of lots of fun information and has a very active message board.

Have fun on your day trip!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day in Columbus

Hmm, I'd go a different route. If you are driving from DC, you may want to consider stopping at a place called the Wilds. It's about 70 miles east of Columbus just south of I-70. A 10,000 acre wildlife park that has many exotic species. Affiliated with the Columbus Zoo. Because you view the wildlife from tour vehicles, may not be the best for a 2 year old weary of the car.

Also, German Village is just south of I-70 when you reach downtown, so that might also be a stop en route.

The Zoo is on the far northwest side of Columbus, so I'd advise a hotel in the Dublin area. There are many at all price ranges.

Then you can head out toward Chicago from Dublin. I 70 to Indy is one option. Another is to take 33 to Fort Wayne, then 30 from there -- it is shorter, but mostly rural routes (not limited access freeway).