We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on touring around the Columbus region

Dunsborough...
Level Contributor
90 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on touring around the Columbus region

Have two things on my Bucket List I am going to fulfil nest year, being visiting Egypt and the Pyramids, and see a football game in USA. Plan is to travel Monday 17 Nov to Friday 5 Dec 2014, Egypt first, then to NYC to see an NY Giants/Jets game on the Sunday at New Meadowlands.

This question around next part. Looking to fly to Columbus OH the following Monday morning, then hiring a car and travelling around until end of the week, to be back in Columbus in time for Ohio State v Michigan game on the Saturday. Fly back via NYC to Australia. I am travelling alone.

Wanting suggestions on how to fill in five days Monday to Friday. Am happy just being away and being somewhere new. Thought about staying in NYC a few days but done that before (Although back in 1994). Will hire a car for the 5 days, and so far things I plan on seeing are Canton (obviously) and Mammoth Cave.

An other idea's?

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
751 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on touring around the Columbus region

Are you looking more for advice on things to do and see in Columbus, or more nearby places to travel to? What kinds of sights are you interested in?

On your way to Mammoth Cave, you'll go through Cincinnati and Louisville, both of which are worth stopping in. You'll also be not too far from Nashville, which is a fun town. You may want to consider going on down there.

As for staying in Columbus, a lot depends on what you're interested in.

Since you're a football fan, you may want to find a high school football game on the Friday night before the OSU-Michigan game. That will be playoff time for high schools, so it should be good action and a fun atmosphere.

Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL) will be playing around that time as well. If they're in town while you are, it's worth checking out a game. The schedule for 2014-15 will be released some time next summer.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on touring around the Columbus region

If you read through the Ohio forum for the last many months, you will find threads discussing your options.

First, however, make certain that you actually want to spend what it will cost to attend the Ohio State/Michigan game. That is one of the toughest tickets in U.S. university sports. Ohio State is one of the largest universities in the U.S. with an alumni base in the millions.

Although Ohio Stadium seats about 105,000, tickets only will be available on a reseller site such as stubhub.com. It would be a good idea to check out the cost of tickets for this year's Michigan/Ohio State game in Ann Arbor, MI, to see if you want to pay up to attend this game.

You also will need to make hotel reservations far in advance.

Having brought up the cost of the ticket, I will tell you that a game day in Columbus is one of the best rituals in sports. Check out the TBDBITL and "Skull Session."

With only five days, and if you want to see the Pro Football Hall of Fame, I would skip Mammoth Cave NP on this trip. Save it for a subsequent trip that would include at least the music cities of Tennessee. If you really want to see it, you could work it in, however.

A good November tour could include the Dayton aviation history attractions, the Indianapolis Speedway museum, The Henry Ford in Dearborn, MI, and the attractions of northern Ohio. The latter in addition to the Pro Football Hall of Fame and Museum, would include the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, Ohio Amish Country and the superb cultural attractions of Cleveland.

Here are attractions in northern Ohio (see attractions in Greater Cleveland and in the region). You'll be visiting after Leaf Turn, so the forests of northern Ohio will be barren, but you might still encounter some great weather days for brisk biking or hiking, such as in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

You will be in Ohio for Thanksgiving. Highway traffic will be heavy, and flights very expensive, if available (book far ahead). Check tickets now for possible flight dates in 2013 to get an example of what you will be facing. If you can allocate some time after the Ohio State game, that would be a good time to visit Mammoth Cave NP, the Corvette museum, the Kentucky bourbon trail, and possibly Nashville and Memphis. Possibly take buses to Nashville before renting a car in order to avoid rental car drop charges.

Good planning!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on touring around the Columbus region

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
571 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on touring around the Columbus region

The reviews on here for attractions in the cities you'd like to visit should help you pick things you would enjoy, without unreasonable expectations.

It would be easy to go through Ohio 'Amish country' while going from Columbus to Canton. If you use Rts. 36/62 instead of the freeways, you'll go right through. If you go as far south as Rt. 16 on the way there or back, you'll also see the world's largest basket, the Longaberger building.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on touring around the Columbus region

You're probably already aware of the fact, but NFL pro football teams also are located in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Cincinnati. Unlike in the Meadowlands, all three stadiums are located in or very close to downtown.

Dunsborough...
Level Contributor
90 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on touring around the Columbus region

Thought about that, but figure big city NYC NFL game would be an experience, and completely different to a big time college game like Ohio State. Still deciding on specifics, but like these two options of seeing bigtime football games. I know I will have to pony up a bit to get tickets to both games, stubhub shows many tickets available, but for half decent tickets about $300 each. Only do it once so what the heck.

Columbus
Level Contributor
219 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on touring around the Columbus region

I don't know if you could make this work, but - You will drive right past the Cincinnati NFL stadium on your way to Mammoth Cave. They offer tours during the summer, but if you contact the front office and explain you are coming to the US from Australia on a once-in-a-lifetime NFL trip, you might be able to arrange a backstage tour of the stadium.

www.bengals.com/stadium/stadium-guide.html

Stadium Tours

Paul Brown Stadium tours are available Monday through Friday during the hours of 10 a.m - 2 p.m. from April 1 through June 30. For more information please call 513-455-4800.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on touring around the Columbus region

Actually, the higher-division university games are much more a spectacle than any pro football game. At Ohio State, it is literally a ritual.

My hunch is that the game day experience is much better in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati given the location of the stadiums in those city's downtowns.

tripadvisor.com/…53333381

There are several posts in this thread about football, and especially about Ohio State.

tripadvisor.com/…37309542

As you're not planning to spend much time in NYC, I certainly wouldn't put the Meadowlands over a game in the other cities that you've mentioned.

You also could simplify your trip and perhaps save some money. Tickets to games in the other cities should be much less than for a Giants/Jets game, and the fervor and skill level may even be higher, depending upon the particular game.

You could rent a car locally in Cleveland to visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame and other attractions, then take Megabus or Greyhound to Columbus. Then you could do a southern round-trip road trip out of Columbus before the Ohio State game and save a rental car drop charge.

Good planning!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on touring around the Columbus region

Here's a thread that may be helpful for Columbus.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g50226-i364-k57444…

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on touring around the Columbus region

As an Aussie, here is a thread that may interest you, especially the football and rugby discussions.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k5792524…

Perhaps, if you came to Pittsburgh or Cleveland for your pro game, you could catch a Massillon or Canton McKinley high school game on Friday night or Saturday before the pro game, or maybe a play-off game at that time of year, for a football trifecta -- pro, university, and high school. Only a few states, such as Texas, elevate football to the same level as Ohio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_Tigers!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0270971/