We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

music/vocal audition at osu end of january .hotels near by.

East Troy, Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Topic
music/vocal audition at osu end of january .hotels near by.

We are coming in to Columbus at the end of Jan. Are there any decent hotels near by in a good area. Are there any hotels near shopping and restaurants?

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: music/vocal audition at osu end of january .hotels near by.

The campus area has okay hotels, but not near shopping or restaurants.

15 minutes from campus is either Easton with a Hilton, Courtyard, or Residence within walking of excellent shopping and many acceptable chain restaurants or Polaris with Hilton, Garden Inn, Holiday

Inn Express, Hampton or Fairfield and many chain restaurants and Central Ohio's busiest mall.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: music/vocal audition at osu end of january .hotels near by.

Lennox Town Center is a very popular shopping destination for Ohio State students. There are many restaurants on High Street and on the Ohio State campus. Check out the Ohio Union. The Northstar Cafe and Jeni's Ice Cream on High Street are highly rated by TA reviewers.

http://www.osu.edu/visitors/entertainment.php

hotelguides.com/colleges/ohio/ohio-state-uni…

Easton Town Center is an upscale shopping mecca. I'm not certain it's only 15 minutes from campus, especially if you encounter traffic problems.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
758 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: music/vocal audition at osu end of january .hotels near by.

A new Homewood Suites just opened a few months ago in Upper Arlington. It's very close to campus - not quite comfortable walking distance to Main Campus, but you could walk to West Campus and catch a (free) CABS bus to Main if you desired. Or it's a few minutes drive down Lane.

The hotel's directly across the street from the Shops on Lane Avenue mall, which has a Whole Foods, Bed Bath & Beyond, Pier One, a number of clothing stores, etc. There are also restaurants there or elsewhere along that stretch of Lane. Columbus is usually pretty quick to get around, so from UA you could get to the Short North, Easton, etc in not too much time if you want to explore more of the city.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: music/vocal audition at osu end of january .hotels near by.

BTW, The Blackwell is Ohio State's on-campus hotel. Perhaps, given the time of your travel, you could get a good rate, especially if there are discounts available for prospective students. Have you checked with the OSU music department for lodging suggestions?

http://www.theblackwell.com/

OSU has a free campus bus network for all riders, including visitors.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: music/vocal audition at osu end of january .hotels near by.

You might also want to check out hotels around the Convention Center. If there's nothing going on at the convention center you can often snag a deal.

All (most?) of these will be closer to OSU than Easton hotels. I wouldn't call it walkable (especially at the end of January), but it is close (walkable) to the shopping, restaurants, etc. in the Short North & Arena District (although exact hotel & destination will have some bearing as will the weather).

For what it's worth - and realizing that exact starting & ending point have an impact, Google maps says it's about an 8 minute drive from the Convention Center to OSU and about 16 minutes from Easton. Obviously time of day/traffic will have an impact, but it's worth noting that (generally speaking) the Easton to OSU drive will be in the same direction as rush hour while the Convention Center to OSU drive will be more reverse rush-hour.

That's my $.02,

hlo

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: music/vocal audition at osu end of january .hotels near by.

HLO makes a great suggestion about the convention center area hotels. However, check to see if they charge for parking, internet, breakfast, etc.

Columbus buses run frequently up and down High St., allowing you to get easily from these hotels to the campus. You'll have to check about fare options, but these may be cheaper than parking charges at OSU.

Edited: 08 January 2014, 19:34
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: music/vocal audition at osu end of january .hotels near by.

You will definitely want to check out the Short North, lots of great food and shoppes, not to mention Jeni's!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
149 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: music/vocal audition at osu end of january .hotels near by.

You've gotten several good suggestions. What kind of schedule and focus are you going to have while you're in town? That would dictate for me where you should consider staying. Are you contemplating a potential move here if the audition goes well? What type of shops/restaurants are you interested in, and what's the budget?

For me personally (I'm late 30's, married, and live in Upper Arlington), if I had an audition at OSU but I was contemplating either attending school or moving here..and it was me and a spouse, I'd probably go for the Hampton or Hilton in the Short North. That will give you a selection of local boutiques and restaurants that you won't find elsewhere and be lively, particularly on the weekend evenings.

If I was looking more for something that is close to OSU, safe, and has a few decent restaurants and some fairly light shops around, I'd stay in Upper Arlington at that new Homewood Suites. (Google 'Lane Avenue Mall', and that should bring up options for you. You can get from here to OSU without freeway/315 travel.) I think that the Blackwell is another good suggestion - although I would say that would be more for someone considering attending school -- you would literally be kind of on campus.

If I needed to entertain someone else coming with me (e.g., a younger sibling or spouse) while I was at OSU having an audition or wanted to do some shopping or have some other entertainment, I would really consider Easton or Polaris. Easton will get you a movie theater, some comedy clubs, B&N, lots and lots of restaurant options, all the chain department stores and stores you can even imagine. Polaris is a little further away, but an indoor mall although the movie theater is across the parking lot from the mall. I actually like Easton much better than Polaris but there are (in my opinion) more hotel options at Polaris.

East Troy, Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: music/vocal audition at osu end of january .hotels near by.

Thanks much for all the info. We decided on the Homewood suites mostly because of location to osu and because its new. The auditions are for my daughter.I REALLY wish she would consider Wis. much better school! just kidding! thanks again for the info.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: music/vocal audition at osu end of january .hotels near by.

JMZ, if you get a chance, please come back here and tell us about your experience and provide any tips you might have for future prospective students visiting the campus.

If your daughter is interested in orchestras and bands, especially marching bands, it's tough to beat OSU, especially with its TBDBITL.

If your daughter becomes serious about OSU, you might want to read the Columbus/Ohio posts of momstravel, a good primer for parents of prospective students, especially if you check her reviews associated with her posts.

www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/momstravel