We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbus in March

Jewett, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Columbus in March

We'll be in Columbus Mar 4-6 for a concert. Besides the Segway tour and eating Jeni's ice cream, what should we include in our itinerary? We're staying downtown and will have a car. We lean toward historical attractions. There seem to be lots of scenic areas outside of Columbus, but I think it may be too cold for the outdoors. We'll be driving down from Cleveland. This is our first visit to the area.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbus in March

You must visit the short north area district in Columbus I also would recommend going to the German Village for Schmidts sausage house it is excellent and the food is something you will remember..... At Schmidt's you can get the Bahama mama sausage, also I would just splurge and get the autobahn buffet also I make sure to finish your meal with a creampuff..... There's also the possibility of a Columbus blue jackets game that you could attend..... Columbus is also home to the worlds largest replica of the Santa Maria I would recommend seeing that if you like history...... If you have a nice day you could go to the Columbus zoo is one of the best zoos I've ever been to and worth every penny for the admission....

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbus in March

The Ohio Statehouse is an historic building. If you like art deco, don't miss the Ohio Judicial Center (you must pass through a security screening and have IDs). If you're golfers, check out the Jack Nicklaus Museum at Ohio State.

The Hocking Hills less than an hour south of Columbus is considered one of the most beautiful locations in Ohio and is popular year-round. Chillicothe is near the Hocking Hills state parks and offers Adena Mansion and Gardens.

However, the biggest historical attraction in Ohio, and one of the best in the U.S. IMO, is the aviation history mecca in Dayton. Few Americans and even Ohioans understand that the first aircraft capable of powered, controlled and reliable flight was flown in Dayton at Huffman Prairie Flying Field, not at Kitty Hawk. If the Wright brothers hadn't returned to Dayton and perfected the Wright Flyer III, they and Kitty Hawk would be mere footnotes to history. The Wright Flyer III is lovingly housed in the excellent Carillon Historical Park's Wright building, part of the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park. Dayton is one hour southwest of Columbus.

The gigantic and superb U.S. Air Force National Museum also is located in Dayton.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbus in March

A visit to the Short North is good, but not if you're homophobic. It's a very gay friendly neighborhood, but with a lot to offer in terms of food, art, and eclectic shopping. German Village is also nice, I could get lost at The Book Loft for days. I'm more partial to Juergans for authentic German over Schmidt's, but the latter is good in it's own right. The Ohio History Centor is right off 71 by the state fiargrounds and is worth a visit. The Franklin Park Conservatory will be having it's orchid exhibit going on at that time as well, and it is GORGEOUS!

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
718 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Columbus in March

The weather might be okay for outdoor activities by early March, but with as cold and snowy a winter as we've had so far, I'm not counting on it.

If you wanted to do outdoor stuff without committing to a drive down to the Hocking Hills or something in iffy weather, the Franklin County Metroparks system has some nice parks closer in to the city. No, the scenery is generally not spectacular, but you can go for a nice walk in the woods on a well-maintained path and get some fresh air while still being just a few minutes from the city. Highbanks, Battelle-Darby Creek, and Blendon Woods are a few of my favorites. It also might be nice (weather permitting) to go for a walk along the Olentangy Trail. This is a multi-use trail that runs from downtown up to Worthington. The section along by Whetstone Park in Clintonville is pretty. You could also walk along near the OSU campus and see where they restoring the Olentangy River to a more natural state after the removal of the Fifth Ave Dam.

Just a note on the Santa Maria - I'm not sure it's going to be open. They're doing a big project on the downtown waterfront and the Scioto Trail is closed down there and I *thought* I read that the Santa Maria was going to be closed for awhile? You might want to call ahead if you're interested in visiting it.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Columbus in March

There are a couple National Natural Landmarks very close to Columbus.

www.nature.nps.gov/nnl/state.cfm?State=OH

Columbus
Level Contributor
215 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Columbus in March

The Ohio Historical Society museum is large, and can be fun, and is perhaps 10 minutes from the short north.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Columbus in March

Unfortunately, the state legislature has gutted the budget for the Ohio Historical Society. The entire top level has been turned into a (chilly in winter) eating area and some of the display areas are so dark that it's difficult to see the exhibits.

It's still a worthwhile visit, however.

Worse, throughout the state, the OHS has had to close some museums and the OHS library budget has been slashed and historical materials aren't being purchased.

Very sad IMO.

ohio
Level Contributor
414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Columbus in March

Haven't been to this yet, but planning to…Bruce Munro light exhibit at Franklin Park Conservatory.

http://www.fpconservatory.org/light

Any local experts who have been? Is it worth the visit?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,325 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Columbus in March

friends of mine in our photography club have been and loved it! (the conservatory light exhibit) It's a bit pricey, but... they really enjoyed it.

ohio
Level Contributor
414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Columbus in March

Good to hear about the light exhibit at the conservatory. Looks like the conservatory has arranged a package available through the Crowne Plaza hotel that includes admission to the show, parking, and breakfast for $119/night. I've never stayed there, but it sounds like a good deal to me.