We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple trip outside Columbus within 5 hrs

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Couple trip outside Columbus within 5 hrs

Hi,

We have been to the following places-

Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburg etc.

We want to go to another state this weekend and have fun.

We like trekking, adventures etc.

Dislike camping .

Could you suggets any place

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple trip outside Columbus within 5 hrs

Here's a thread on a similar topic and in my response to it I linked to some other threads:

tripadvisor.com/…50142329

hlo

Edited: 15 April 2014, 19:51
ohio
Level Contributor
458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple trip outside Columbus within 5 hrs

Check out the small town of Thomas, WV near Blackwater Falls State Park which is a beautiful area for hiking. The Purple Fiddle in Thomas is an excellent place to hear some music. It is a very small town, but quite cool.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
97 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple trip outside Columbus within 5 hrs

If you're willing to go 6 hours, you could make it to Nashville or Chicago. Otherwise, Indy or Cincinnati?

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple trip outside Columbus within 5 hrs

What do you mean by "trekking, adventures"?

If you mean hiking, I would suggest Minister Creek in PA. It is a beautiful hike with an awesome overlook. You could stay in a hotel in Clarion or Warren since you don't like camping.

If you are willing to drive an extra half hour (5.5 hours), I would suggest staying at a hotel in Mt. Airy then hiking at both Hanging Rock State Park (several waterfalls and a couple overlooks) and Pilot Mountain (couple nice overlooks).

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple trip outside Columbus within 5 hrs

Thank you so much for the input. What do you guys think about mammoth vaves

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple trip outside Columbus within 5 hrs

Re: Mammoth Caves . . . personally? I'd probably do other cave(s). Now don't get me wrong Mammoth Cave is pretty impressive, but it's basically impressive from a size/length aspect and not much else. It's not really much in terms of formations, etc.

I should also explain that I spent many an hour, day, week . . . spelunking (caving) in my younger days (mostly "wild" caves). As a result I'm not really impressed with just walking through passageways underground. I want to see interest formations and/or am perfectly willing to get into a tight spot (or wet) to see something interesting.

If I was going to spend the time checking out caves, instead of doing Mammoth I'd probably try to hit multiple caves that are smaller, but "better" (in my opinion). There are some in the same general area of Mammoth (although to be truthful many had their formations destroyed during what I refer to as "the cave wars").

If caves have some interest you might check those in the area out and/or the handful of commercial caves in southern Indiana (Marengo, Wyandotte & Squire Boone . . . seems like there is another which just opened). Generally speaking the Indiana ones are located along I-64 a little bit north/NW of Louisville. There's also a few in Spring Mill State Park (near Mitchell, Indiana), but due to the white nose fungus you need to jump a some hurdles to get inside (they only recently reopened them, all but one, which you only ride through in a boat, had been closed for a few years(?)).

Now I'm not saying Mammoth Cave isn't worth it or you shouldn't check it out. I'm just stating my opinion and making sure you don't go in expecting massive and/or beautiful formations all over the place. It's not that sort of cave (like, say Carlsbad Caverns).

hlo

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple trip outside Columbus within 5 hrs

Thank you so much! We are at mammoth caves and loving it!!!!!

8. Re: Couple trip outside Columbus within 5 hrs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 06:16