We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!! Relocating to Columbus have no clue!!

california
2 posts
Save Topic
Help!! Relocating to Columbus have no clue!!

Hello. My husband and i are relocating from California. My husband has family from Ohio but they are in Sandusky and we want to be closer to Columbus. We are 25 and have a 5 year old son in kindergarten. We are trying to find somewhere with younger families and good schools. We have no clue about subdivisions and such. We found an apartment we liked on the internet but really dont know much about the area. The apartment guide says it is in the northeast of columbus. The name of the apartments are Essington Village its on Tamarack circle in Columbus. Any advice, suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!! Relocating to Columbus have no clue!!

hi mom2cody! i'm pretty familiar with both areas (i'm from sandusky, but live in cincinnati now, and have lived in columbus in the past).

great places for our age group (i'm 26 with a 1 year old) with good schools are worthington, westerville, hilliard, dublin, powell, delaware, lewis center...if you want to stay on the northern side of columbus with easier access to sandusky. if (i should say "when") we relocate back to the columbus area, we'll look in westerville and worthington first.

grove city on the south side is becoming very popular with young professionals in our age group.

another nice quiet little town is Ashville. great school district, far southern columbus suburb, but easily within commuting distance. my huband has family there and in circleville (which is south of ashville, but the schools there sren't so hot).

do you know what part of town your husband is going to be working? traffic in the entire area can be a bear if you have to commute across town.

there are lots of columbus folk on this forum, so everyone should be pretty helpful. there have been other "relocating to C-bus" threads recently... do some searching for past threads and you can find some very helpful info.

california
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!! Relocating to Columbus have no clue!!

Thank you so much! Im hoping the apartments we found will work out for us. I really hope to find an area with lots of children for my son to play with, we are leaving everyone he knows so that is my biggest concern. As for work, My husband is a automotive tech.(He has worked for Nissan and currently works for Volkswagon) and I am a preschool teacher neither of us have jobs lined up yet but we will be using saved up money plus the good old tax return to get back there. Im hoping we can find work close to home but if not we are both used to traffic anyway (We live in southern california after all!!) Thank you so much for replying! Any other suggestions or advice would be wonderful!!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!! Relocating to Columbus have no clue!!

it looks like a nice complex. as long as it's not owned by Triangle real estate ( i had issues with them and do not recommend renting with them), you should be set! sign a 1 year lease, get to know the area...you'll figure out on your own where you want to be.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
378 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!! Relocating to Columbus have no clue!!

I would look for an appartment in Worthington, Westerville. Tamarack Circle is a little rough now. It used to be fine 20 years ago. Obviously though it will cost a little more the further north you come, but it will be safer.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!! Relocating to Columbus have no clue!!

Mom, I would seriously re-think renting in the Tamarack Circle area. It was a nice spot in the 80's, but since then the neighborhood has turned and there is trouble with crime and violence there.

I would look at Worthington, Upper Arlington, Dublin, Powell, a suburb for better quality of life and schools. Unfortunately Columbus Public Schools are in deep trouble, with a 55% drop out rate and some troubling violence.

Good luck, Binti

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!! Relocating to Columbus have no clue!!

good thing you guys came along! i don't know enough about that part of town. :-)

centerburg, ohio
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
933 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!! Relocating to Columbus have no clue!!

I agree, stay away from the Northland area (includes Tamarack Circle). You might also consider areas such as Bexley, Canal Winchester, etc. Don't forget to include Clintonville which is an area inside Columbus but is really nice with well maintained homes and apartments and it is located just north of OSU.

If you go to Dublin/Hilliard, etc. you will find yourself in bad traffic situations. Westerville is OK, has more recently taken on the problems on urban areas but still tries to maintain. Worthington is a nice community but I am not sure about how many apartment homes are available there

Anything south of downtown Columbus is a little suspect although many people are moving to Grove City, etc. but they have serious problems with foreclosures there and it is an area that just can't quite make it.

Prices in Delaware County are high.

I would stick with Clintonville for my bet!

8. Re: Help!! Relocating to Columbus have no clue!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2007, 18:14