We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Guwahati in a day???

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
444 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Guwahati in a day???

Hello Experts,

We are reaching Guwahati airport around 3.30 pm on 28th Sept. next and have the rest of the day and night free in Guwahati. We will leave for Shillng next day morning on 29th Sept.

I would like to know how can we utilize the time. on 28th Sept. We want to offer Puja in kamakhya temple. How far is the temple from the airport. What are the other places we can visit in such short of time. It would be great if someone can arrange a plan for us on 28th Sept.

Other things I would like to know:

1. How far is the bus stand in Guwahati from the airport where from Volvo buses departs for Shillong?

2. What is the cost of bus fare (VOLVO) per head from Guwahati to Shillong?

3. Let me know some good budget hotels near airport.

4. How far is the Kamakhya temple from airport?

5. How much time it takes in bus from Guwahati to Shillong?

6. If we hire a small vehicle (Guwahati to Shillong), what would be the cost? A vehicle like Swift Dzire, Indica, Indigo. We are 3 in number.

I will be obliged if someone can reply to all my queries. Eagerly waiting for a reply.

Regards,

Abhijit

Mentioned in this post
Guwahati
Guwahati
Kamrup Metropolitan District, India
Shillong
Shillong
East Khasi Hills District, India
Kamakhya Temple
Kamakhya Temple
1,329 Reviews
Guwahati, India
Guwahati, India
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Guwahati in a day???

Hi,

It would be best if you stay in Paltan Bazar, you'll find lots of budget hotel there.

To reach Paltan Bazar from airport, you can use the state govt run buses plying from Airport to Paltan Bazar, you can get the bus information here

thinkcept.com/blog/…

Kamakhya temple is around from 19 kms from Airport and around 7 kms from Paltan Bazar.

You can hire a local taxi for a local tour to Kamakhya and around the city. Check here for local taxi rental

travelspeak.in/car-rental-hire-guwahati-assa…

You can also hire a taxi for travel to Shillong, if you are on budget, you can get shared taxi from Paltan Bazar. Traveling time to Shillong by Taxi will be approx 2 hrs, by bus 3 hrs.

To know the local tourist attractions in Guwahati, check here http://www.travelspeak.in/category/guwahati/

Mentioned in this post
Kamakhya Temple
Kamakhya Temple
1,329 Reviews
Guwahati, India
Shillong
Shillong
Guwahati
Guwahati
Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Guwahati in a day???

1. Guwahati ISBT is far from the airport, you can get direct taxis to Shillong from Guwahati airport itself.

2. There are no Volvo or big luxury buses to Shillong, most are medium sized buses and government buses on that route.

3. For budget hotel, it'd be better to stay at Paltan Bazar near Railway station and taxi stand.

4. Kamakhya temple is almost an hour from airport on the way to the city centre.

5. 3-4hrs by bus from Guwahati-Shillong

6. Approx Rs.3000 in small vehicle for a day tour or Shillong dropping

Edited: 25 August 2014, 06:47
Mentioned in this post
Guwahati
Guwahati
Shillong
Shillong
Kamakhya Temple
Kamakhya Temple
1,329 Reviews
Guwahati, India
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
444 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Guwahati in a day???

Hi Shakensoul and Bornav,

Thanks to both of you for such comprehensive reply. i will surely consider your points.

Regards,

Abhijit

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
51 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Guwahati in a day???

Hi I have plans to visit Assam(Kaziranga & Guwahati) & Meghalaya(Shilliong & Chirrapunji).I will be there for 6 days/Night, travellling with my Senior cirizen parents. Wanted to check if I can also include a night or two at Nagaland(Dimapur or Kohima).

I dont want to make it to taxing buy only traveling on the roads.

My plan-

Day1) as il reach early morming at .Either I leave to Nagaland.Stay thr overnite.

Day 2) Nagaland

Day 3)Nagaland to Kaziranga-How much time will it take to reach here.Whr to stay for a good & a budgeted place.

Day 4) Kaziranga to Shillong-time taken to reach?

Day 5) Chirranpunji/Shillong- or should i skip chirrapunji.

Day 6) drive to Guwahati.

Day 7) back to home town.

Or should I Just keep it for Assam & Guwahati? Or shud i keep Shillong day 1 & 2 & Shillong replaced by nagaland.

Pls Suggest if I shud skip Nagaland?

Your suggestions will be a great help!!

Many thanks.

Hitasha

Mentioned in this post
Kaziranga National Park
Kaziranga National Park
Nagaon District, India
Guwahati
Guwahati
Shillong
Shillong
Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Guwahati in a day???

day 1- arrival Guwahati, then go to Shillong (4hrs)

day 2- Shillong sightseeing

day 3- day trip: Cherrapunji (2hrs) sightseeing

day 4- Shillong to Kaziranga (7hrs)

day 5- Kaziranga safaris

day 6- Kaziranga to Guwahati (5hrs), departure

There are no important tourist attractions in Dimapur and Kohima, you can skip Nagaland. The best time to visit Nagaland is during Hornbill festival (1-10 Dec)

Mentioned in this post
Shillong
Shillong
Kaziranga National Park
Kaziranga National Park
Nagaon District, India
Guwahati
Guwahati
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
51 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Guwahati in a day???

Thanks so much for ur reply.

Wanted to check if it is worth going to Chirrapunji besides the caves & the root bridge(i guess u hv to climb some off 3000 stairs one side).Anything else worth visiting here?

What is the best way to reach Kaziranga from Shillong?Taxi must be charging a big amount?Just to save on the day time is there a night bus for Kaziranga?

My only idea to cover nagaland is that out of 7 sisters i can see 3 :-)

So incase there is nothing much at Chirrapunji then instead i will go to Dimapur/Kohima.

Kindly advice,

Hitasha

Mentioned in this post
Kaziranga National Park
Kaziranga National Park
Nagaon District, India
Shillong
Shillong
Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Guwahati in a day???

There are beautiful view points and waterfalls (can be dry from Oct-May) too in Cherrapunji. The double decker root bridge takes 6hrs long trek.

There is no night bus to Kaziranga from Shillong. You can either do a break journey via Khanapara (near Guwahati) or better to book a full taxi.

Dimapur doesn't have any tourist attraction, except the historical sculpted Kachari pillars in ruins. Kohima: State Museum, Cathedral, World War 2 cemetery, Kisama Heritage village and World War 2 Museum.

Mentioned in this post
Kaziranga National Park
Kaziranga National Park
Nagaon District, India
Shillong
Shillong
Guwahati
Guwahati
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
51 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Guwahati in a day???

Thanks alot for ur valuable feedbacks.Wanted to check is it worth visiting Kaziranga & replace these 2 days day 5 going & day 6 coming back to Guwahati from Kohima?Do v require Inner liner pass till Kohima?My stay will only be for a night if at all (2 April-8 april) so 6 april reaching Kohima & 7 april catching late even.train next morning flight to home town.

Eagerly waiting for the reply as there is hardly any time left for my journey!

Thanks in advance.

Hitasha

Mentioned in this post
Kaziranga National Park
Kaziranga National Park
Nagaon District, India
Guwahati
Guwahati
Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in Guwahati in a day???

if you like wildlife, you can spend full 2days in Kaziranga and Hoolongapar gibbon sanctuary nearby.

If you want to skip Kaziranga, Majuli Island is another option nearby, you can then fly out of Jorhat airport or by train to Delhi from Mariani station instead of traveling back to Guwahati.

Yes, ILP is required for visiting Kohima, not required for Dimapur.

Mentioned in this post
Kaziranga National Park
Kaziranga National Park
Nagaon District, India
Guwahati
Guwahati
10. Re: What to do in Guwahati in a day???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2016, 05:15