We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week visit to Karnataka - coorg - mysore - wayanand - ooty

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
A week visit to Karnataka - coorg - mysore - wayanand - ooty

hi,

I am planning a week vacation with my family to coorg in November - travelling from Mumbai:

we are group of 6 -(3 senior citizens, my husband, my daughter 13 yrs and me.

My plan is as follows :

Mumbai to Mangalore - train or flight

mangalore to coorg - day 1

3 nights in coorg

coorg to mysore - 1 night in mysore

mysore to waynand - 1 night in waynand

waynand to ooty - 2 or 3 nights in ooty

ooty to coimbatore ..train from coimbatore - mumbai

out of above - 1 day at coorg and 1 day at ooty is a rest day to spend at the resort.

please suggest if this itenary is good, considering the road condition and also the scenic beauty of the route etc....

i think a private car(6 persons) for the entire vacation (mangalore to coimbatore) will be very expensive...can anyone suggest a way to break up the journey so that we do not have to use public transport much and also save on the car cost....

please provide contact numbers for the car booking

Also please suggest some budget hotels at waynand and mysore.

Thanks !!!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,380 posts
577 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week visit to Karnataka - coorg - mysore - wayanand - ooty

Hi maithalee..

Distances in between the destinations selected by you are very low and feasible to travel by road..

Itinerary and halting days selection by you is good..

Arrive mangalore by flight/train..

Mangalore-coorg distance is almost 160 kms..coorg doesn't have any train station..nearest station is mangalore central or mysore..so the best way to go coorg from mangalore is by taxi..pre-book a taxi for book it after reaching to mangalore station or airport..from mangalore station innova will charge you 3200 rs...

Also you can select bus to go there..but for a big family it will be little hectic..but manageable.. From coorg to mysore, the distance is approx 120 kms..again best mode is taxi/bus..innova will charge you approx 2400 rs.

From mysore-wayanad , distance is 120 kms towards kerala..and best mode is by taxi..can go by bus too.

From wayanad to ooty, best mode is taxi..also if you want to enjoy toy train then can go upto metupalayam station from wayanad..

Come back to coimbatore from ooty and take a train/flight to mumbai..

Also can come to metupalayam station from ooty by toy train and by express train to coimbatore..

I will suggest you to not to book taxi for entire trip..

You can hire taxi or local conveyance for sightseeing..and can travel by taxi/bus for city transfers

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,380 posts
577 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week visit to Karnataka - coorg - mysore - wayanand - ooty

Hi maithalee

Hotel in wayanad- wayanad blooms/blue ginger resorts

Mysore-windflower/royal orchid/pai vista..

There are many hotels in mysore..in different budget..choosing a good hotel will be depend on your budget..

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week visit to Karnataka - coorg - mysore - wayanand - ooty

You could consider taking the once a week Sharavati Express to Mysore from Dadar. head to Ooty onto Coorg and return via Mangalore to Mumbai.You can use a volvo bus from Mysore to Ooty and use a car for the Ooty Coorg portion with a break at Nagarhole. Coorg/ Mangalore by Volvo bus.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week visit to Karnataka - coorg - mysore - wayanand - ooty

Thanks Lalbahadur for the detailed information on travel....

Can you give me some cab service numbers for the local sighseeting in coorg ,mysore, wayanad and ooty?

This is our first trip in this region..i am thinking maybe i should drop wayanad from your trip.

Also about the Ooty toy train you suggested, can i take it for ooty - coonor visit to go to and fro?

Thanks!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week visit to Karnataka - coorg - mysore - wayanand - ooty

hi Premsubramaniam,

The only reason i am choosing train travel from mumbai to mangalore is because it is the shortest travelling time...13 hrs vs 24 to 30 hours by any other train to bangalore or mysore...

So travelling via mangalore gives me a day extra in karnataka....

What about the roads as per my plan? are they good? do these routes- (coorg- mysore- wayanad - ooty) give us the opportunity of passing waterfalls and beautiful forests that I hear so much of when i read about karnataka...will the waterfalls still be there in mid november??

I am also checking so that i know what sequence i need to do the hotel booking...coorg or ooty first...

Thanks for your help

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,380 posts
577 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week visit to Karnataka - coorg - mysore - wayanand - ooty

Hi maithalee..

Connoor is also a very good place to see..

If you wish to drop wayanad and go to connoor, then take a taxi from mysore to connoor- approx distance is 150 kms..

For ooty take nilgiri mountain train from connoor..and experience toy train..

I don't know any good cab service , because during by 2 journeys to karnataka, I took my own SUV for better facility..as per my suggestion, booking a taxi by hotel management will be good..

I stayed once in gateway hotel and once in wallwood in connoor..both hotels are good..personally I liked wallwood..to stay naturally..

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Madikeri, Karnataka
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week visit to Karnataka - coorg - mysore - wayanand - ooty

Hi Maithalee,

In Nov/Dec,you will have lush greenery all through your proposed route.

Mangalore-Coorg(Around 130 kms.) roads are decent.

The stretch is really beautiful & you can enjoy the tour.Coorg-Mysore(110 kms.) is again a safe & beautiful stretch.

Mysore-Wynad-Ooty is a forest stretch & you will pass through Bandipur/Nagarahole/Mudumalai forest reserves & you can encounter wild animals too.In Nov' the water falls would be flowing well too.

In Coorg,plan homestays to really experience the coffee estates.

You can avail of point to point delux buses or cab from Mangalore to Madikeri & Madikeri to Mysore.Mysore to Ooty can be covered in KSRTC delux buses which ply frequently on the route.Book a local cab for sight seeing at all the places.You will save on interstate permits/toll,taxes,etc & have a budget travel.

In Mysore,try Hotel Maurya palace & in Wynad,Hotel Woodlands.

Rgds

Deepak

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week visit to Karnataka - coorg - mysore - wayanand - ooty

Thanks Deepak.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A week visit to Karnataka - coorg - mysore - wayanand - ooty

Thanks Deepak.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A week visit to Karnataka - coorg - mysore - wayanand - ooty

Hi,

I am changing my travel plans in reverse direction as i am getting cheap air tickets from mangalore to mumbai.

Please suggest if this is a doable itenary. Anything that i can club togther?

Is belur and srirangapatanam possible on the way from mysore to coorg?

Planning to take a private cab from ooty right up to coorg and maybe even upto mangalore airport drop.

Another way is to take the private cab at mysore ??. In that case we will have to travel ooty mysore by bus...and i will have to drop nagarhole...and miss on driving thro the beautiful route :(

Should I drop the extra day at ooty and take one at Coorg? i have club mahindra stays at ooty and coorg...so i am trying to reduce the paid days in between...only at mysore 2 ddays.

Local sight seeing in ooty and coonoor by local cabs.

<<Planned ITENARY>>

Mumbai to Coimbatore - by Coimbatore express - reachs at 7 am in morning

day 1 - night at ooty

Coimbatore to ooty - <<pls suggest some train/ bus which will take me to ooty by noon.>>

local sightseeing ooty

day 2 - night at ooty

ooty to coonoor - local sightseeing coonoor - back to ooty...<<can I take the toy train in morning to reach coonoor?>>

day 3 - night at ooty

relax at ooty resort - local sighseeting

day 4 -night at mysore

leave early morning from ooty to mysore

visit nagarhole sanctuary on the way

evening local sighseeting mysore

day 5- night at mysore

local sighseeing at mysore

day 6 - night at coorg

leave from mysore and

on the way visit srirangapatanam , visit Belur and Helibid << are both these possible on the way to Coorg without a night halt?>>

reach coorg by evening

day 7 - night at coorg

Talcavery, abbey falls etc

day 8 night at coorg

Tibetan monastery - Bylakuppe

Nisargadhama

evening - river rafting if possible

day 9 - coorg to mangalore

afternoon flight from manglore to mumbai - 2.30 pm afternoon flight

Get answers to your questions about Kodagu (Coorg)