We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matheran Horses - Cruelty

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Topic
Matheran Horses - Cruelty

I would like to know who is responsible for the welfare of all the Horses at Matheran. I have just been for the weekend and was looking forward to riding - I have never been so disgusted at the treatment of horses. Ponies with very heavy loads of cement on their backs, open wounds, underweight, exhausted and whipped when they want to take a rest; skinny, exhausted horses in the same condition while fat lazy people queue for a ride. This needs to be stopped!

Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Matheran Horses - Cruelty

Not the ones I saw this week. Matheran has no vehicular traffic and all carrying is done by horse or manpower. The packhorses I saw all had proper packsaddles and were not overloaded, were head up and clear eyed. Riding horses were all glossy coated clean footed and lively. The locals use them like taxis and I saw children going to school on them. I only used them the once on arrival going to my hotel. This took 35 minutes and the horses were as fresh as when they had started. The rest of my stay I walked as I was here for birdwatching, but I saw many waiting for their hirers to return, under shade and being watered.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
925 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Matheran Horses - Cruelty

its unfortunate but,thats life searchfor soul.people travel to enjoy themselves not worry about horses.get a life!!!!

3. Re: Matheran Horses - Cruelty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Matheran
Recent Conversations