We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning to visit Shillong & Cherapunjee in Feb'18

6 posts
Save Topic
Planning to visit Shillong & Cherapunjee in Feb'18

Hi I am planning to visit Meghalaya for honeymoon on 5th-11th Feb'18 in Shillong & Cherapunjee. The itinerary I made focusing mostly on the great waterfalls (2N at shillong & 3N at Cherrapunjee). After a bit more research in the internet I have been confused as many pages showing it wouldnt be that great to visit meghalaya in february as the waterfalls eventually dry up at the time.

1. Is that a authentic report?

2.If it is so, what could be the attraction in Meghalaya at that time other than water fall?

3.Or may I skip Cherrapunjee and just go to Kaziranga along with Shillong?

4. What else could be great honeymoon destination other than/ alternative to Meghalaya? We want chilling weather, hill/mountain, forest and great scenic view of nature?

Please suggest.

10 replies to this topic
India
Level Contributor
39,491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning to visit Shillong & Cherapunjee in Feb'18

Waterfalls will not be lively in winter. Stay 2 n each in Shillong & Cherrapunjee. May spend 1 n in Mawlynnong.

Edited: 04 October 2017, 07:00
Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning to visit Shillong & Cherapunjee in Feb'18

Waterfalls are best enjoyed during the rainy season, May-Sep.

In Feb, you can enjoy trekking in Meghalaya, many options such as Nongriat (double decker root bridge), Mawphlang (sacred grove), Laitlum (canyons)

You should not miss out Dawki in Feb, Umgnot river looks beautiful

if it's a short trip, you can skip Cherrapunjee and visit Kaziranga

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning to visit Shillong & Cherapunjee in Feb'18

Thanks a lot guys for the helpful informations :)

Gangtok, India
Destination Expert
for Sikkim
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning to visit Shillong & Cherapunjee in Feb'18

Western Sikkim is a good alternative per your requirements.

6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning to visit Shillong & Cherapunjee in Feb'18

Hello everyone, I have booked flight tickets and hotels in Shillong & Cherrapunjee throughout the tour except the day before return day.On 10th Feb I have to move from cherrapunjee hotel to Mawlynnong, planned for a nightstay either in Mawlynnong or dawki, sightseeing on 11th and in the evening return to shillong, Flight is on 12th. I am a bit confused whether to stay at Mawlynnong or Dawki. I want to stay at Dawki but cant find any hotel online. Can someone help me out? any hotel contact at dawki?

6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning to visit Shillong & Cherapunjee in Feb'18

Thanks for your concern, but I have already booked tickets for Meghalaya. Can you please help me out regarding the above question?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Bhutan, Darjeeling, Sikkim, Lava, Loleygaon, Rishop
Level Contributor
6,755 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning to visit Shillong & Cherapunjee in Feb'18

There's no stay options at Dawki itself. Stay at Halatong Tourist Homestay at Shnongpdeng (nearby Dawki). Manbha - +91-96157-62788 / +91-87310-96536

Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning to visit Shillong & Cherapunjee in Feb'18

There is no accommodation at Dawki except tents at riverside campsite. You can stay there if you are interested in water sports.

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning to visit Shillong & Cherapunjee in Feb'18

It is best to stay in mawlynnong as there are a lot of small houses where u can get accommodation.. And it would be much safer and cleaner and I can assure u that u will really enjoy ur stay there.

Mustafa

India
Level Contributor
39,491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning to visit Shillong & Cherapunjee in Feb'18

Dinesh G

Why you are campaigning for a commercial site in all the forums? It's violation of TA regulations.

Edited: 08 November 2017, 11:22
Reply to: Planning to visit Shillong & Cherapunjee in Feb'18
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted